Back pains. need some advice.

Bridges

Reaction score
Handicap
About every 2 weeks i get these crazy sharp lower back pains were i cant bend over very well and have to squat straight down in order to pick something up or something like that, they only last a day though and then its fine. Its barley above my waist on both left and right sides of the lower back. (only one side hurts at a time when it happens) i think its about 4 inches left or right of my spin (depending on which side is hurting) and around 4 inches above my waist.

Im not sure if its just a small pulled muscle i aggravate while im mowing (i mow yards a lot), a muscle spasm or something worse. Today i loaded the mower on the trailer and was lifting up the trailer gate off the ground(its kind of heavy) and WHAM i got the pain again and could barely walk, got the gate fastened and finished weedeating in bad pain then got in the truck and came home and tried to do some stretches to get it to loosen up some but its still pretty painful so i put some ice on it as i usually do.

Any advice what it is? sometimes i will get it after i get off the mower i guess from being jarred around so much then today was lifting something and other times it could be something else, been going on for about 2-3 months now. I want to think its just a spasm or tweaked muscle i aggravate but not sure?

Back pain sucks, bridges. Rest it up and lift properly. Oh, and go see a doctor.

Yeah best advice is to go talk to your doc. You can't be too careful with stuff like that.

Hope it's not kidney stones. I would make a trip to your doctor.

Lifting-Signs---Industrial-PT25ABBHPLY2WY-ba.jpg

Doctor is the best advice, but for a simple fix I used to lay on the floor with my feet in a chair. Legs at 90 degree angles with the chair basically at your hind end. After about 15 minutes I usually felt some relief. Ice for 15 minutes and a couple tylenol helped too.

i hate you lol

Doctor is the best advice, but for a simple fix I used to lay on the floor with my feet in a chair. Legs at 90 degree angles with the chair basically at your hind end. After about 15 minutes I usually felt some relief. Ice for 15 minutes and a couple tylenol helped too.

alright about to try this now. thanks!

Hope it's not kidney stones. I would make a trip to your doctor.
Ahh that would suck!
The way he's describing it, I wouldn't think it is though. Especially since it switches sides.
I would guess something more in the spinal/nerve/muscular category.
Something probably just got tweaked, a doc or chiropractor should be able to straighten you out.

If you want to go "home-remedy" route, the first thing I would do is sleep on a hardwood floor.
Most people don't take too well to that advice though. :)

Ahh that would suck!
The way he's describing it, I wouldn't think it is though. Especially since it switches sides.
I would guess something more in the spinal/nerve/muscular category.
Something probably just got tweaked, a doc or chiropractor should be able to straighten you out.

ya last time it was on the right side this time its left side. but i think it just muscle because it happened this time when i picked up the gate and it was completely my fault this time because i picked it up fast instead slowly with knees bent.

Sounds like the discs in your lower back.

1. hamstrings are connected to glutes, which are connected to lower back muscles. Tight hammy's will contribute to lower back pain.
2. You're supposed to squat down when you pick something up. Bending over to pick something up uses back muscles in a way they weren't designed for.
3. Go see a doc. He'll probably prescribe a pain killer and muscle relaxant.
4. Golf is not good for lower backs.
5. Welcome to old age.

PM your email address and I'll send you a document showing good lower back stretches. The file is too large to attach to threads.

Back pain sucks man! I have messed my back up twice at work over the years and it has caused me to have some aches and pains now and again. If I go to the range for a driver session my back is usually pretty sore for a day or two. Don't play around with it bro, go to the doctor.

i did a few stretches and found a pretty good one were i lay down on my side and then put my left leg over across my body to the right side as far as i can go and it stretches it real good. it feels better than what it did but still not great. il call the dr and see what he says and if i can get in to see him sometime soon.

thanks for the advice everyone!

I had some back pain last year and went to a Medical supply store and bought a back brace. Just the elastic kind, not the ridgid one they give you after back surgery. It supported those muscles while playing golf, working outdoors etc.

You can also get you one of those doo hickeys that you sit in and it turns you upside down thus removing the pressure on your spine. This only works for the bone problems not muscle spasms......

thanks for the advice gray.

i just talked to an old high school coach that knows a ton about injuries and everything thing body related.(very very smart guy and he still lifts in competitions to this day at the age of 43, big guy 6'4 300) he was telling me if it was kindey stones it would be more in the middle of my back and i would be sweating a lot as they release out a lot of water or something along those lines with some fancy words lol. so glad thats not what it is, he said the same thing i thought it was and named some muscle that it was in there and that i probably tweaked it again causing muscle spasms and just aggravated it. he gave me some stuff to do so il do those things and see how they work out. If not then i guess il have to pay the ol dr. and chiropractor to do some work on me.

thanks again for the advice everyone!

Depends on where the stone gets stuck where the pain is, there would also most likely be blood in your urine if it was kidney stones.

Sounds like disk to me too, the bouncing on the tractor would really aggravate it. Maybe L4-L5 from where you are describing...hard to say over the internet though. Go see the doc and he will probably send you for a CT, before the disk slips and you are laid up for months.

ya that was his second suggestion that it could be and told me to tell him if it continued.
I honestly think it's just a spasm/ muscle getting aggravated but we will see.

I've had back pain on and off for a few years; a couple times to the point where I can barely walk. I found that going to the doc and getting an anti-inflammatory along with a chiropractor adjustment and using external cold packs works wonders in a couple days.

1. go to a dr
2. if its not that serious... i use a gravity thingamabob... you strap your feet in and go upside down... its supposed to be for exercising... but i use it to pop things back in place and stretch

its giving me hell today. not even worth going to do anything tonight. From sitting to standing is the worse, but i managed to figure out some weird way to get up and lean over on my bed then straighten up without it hurting but if i stand straight up from sitting it hurts like hell! Couldnt get in the dr today, but going to talk to the sports therapist lady that helped me rehab after knee surgery she should have some good info and its free to..

Ok really? Back/neck pains suck...big...but not a single person has mentioned, a shot of whiskey every 4 hours. Oh....Scotch for you aboringinals. But really?...take two aspirin eerrrr whiskey and call me in the morning!

signed: Old Tom Morris

Back