The THP Range/Practice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Put these guys on for a serious carpet putting sesh.

aba858493f3f8cd85aee17f9947f8a24.jpg

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

Did some work at the range and putting green today.

Hit the driving range today. They got some new mats which were NICE. Much more like real fairway/1st cut then the old ones they had.

Working on ball position and hitting my new driver, the Callaway XR. Man it sounds good when you hit it just right. Very forgiving.

Working on the hybrids, too.

Day 1 of a new practice routine:
-20 balls full swing (3-5 of those driver)
-large bucket 100 yards and in (mostly 25-50 yards)
-15 minutes of putting

going to do this for 30 days, and see where my scores are at.

Hit a large bucket today, mostly driver and fairway wood. I was pretty impressed with my distance until I realized I had a 20 mph wind at my back. I went from feeling young to feeling old in about 3 seconds!

I've let my swing get away from me so back to working on things I once had.

Working on loading into my right side, taking the club away and up not around me once I get the left arm parallel to the ground, pulling the club down from the top and then releasing.

Wish I had a LM to see if what I'm doing is changing the numbers, even with out see numbers I know it's feels and sounds better than my swing was.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had another lesson with my instructor today, the first good thing is that my takeaway is better than the last lesson. At the last lesson, I was looping the club outside really early in the takeaway, it looked much better today. But what my instructor noticed on video is that I was almost reverse-pivoting on the backswing instead of loading into my trail leg. Having the image of trying to get my rear (right) hip directly over my right foot on the takeaway helped me do that. The second part of the lesson, which was much tougher, was feeling like I initiate my weight shift to my front leg much earlier in my swing. I have a pretty severe overswing, so doing that was really weird for me because it barely felt like I was taking the club past hip-high on the backswing. There were some good shots, more bad shots, but the good shots were pretty good. At the start of the lesson, I was hitting 8 irons with a carry of 150-152 or so. By the end of the lesson, 8 iron carry was 155-158 and I saw one shot with 163 carry. Moving onto 6 irons, I was consistently above 180 carry on good strikes, with 189 yard carry and 128 mph ball speed on my last swing of the day, which is awesome for me. I know that I still have to work on my overswing AND flipping a little bit at impact, but at least I have a couple of specific things to work on from today's lesson that were showing immediate dividends during the hour of my lesson.

Ary sounds like we are going through similar struggles dude. Loading on that rear legs is a tuffy for me as well.

Ary sounds like we are going through similar struggles dude. Loading on that rear legs is a tuffy for me as well.

Saw your post from a week ago and it sounds like the same thing. The issue for me is that I'm trying so hard to get my weight to my front side in the downswing that I start to think about "staying centered", and what that ends up doing is that I just spin my body without transferring any weight to my rear leg during the backswing. If I get my weight back there on the backswing, then shift hard to the front side on the downswing, the swinging of the club will take care of the weight getting to my front side at impact. The majority of people have too much sway on their backswing; right now, I have to feel like I have more of it to get into a better position. Yet another example of feel vs. real.

I'm letting it get to the outside of that right foot so mine is going too far(kinda) where it's sounds like your not getting it there.

I agree when then weight is properly put on the back foot the swing takes care of itself and ball goes long

Got some time on the range today and played around with trackman and my GBB but stock shaft. Number were very surprising to me:

13* launch
Spin was 2400 average
AoA is +6
Club head speed was ~102

Came out to 240 carry with 266 average roll out distance. Not too I think.

59* outside meant a nice long lunch break at the range and I was able to hit off of grass. Whoda thunk that I'd be typing that in MA on December 11?

I just brought my driver, 6i, and 9i with me and mostly worked on the L to L drill. What I feel is waist high is actually almost a full backswing, but I stay in sync so much better. I don't get full distance with that feeling, but I hit the ball dead straight with irons and I'll take 7-8 yards shorter if I'm in the fairway.

All in all, not a bad session at all. Driver was decent but there were no misses to either side, which I'll take for not having really played or practiced much since early November. I'm hoping to get out to a Par 3 course with my son tomorrow to continue working on irons.

My course made some nice improvements to their driving range to make it a better practice area even though it's mats so I went out there today to try it out.

I've been really struggling with my wedge play lately and one of the upgrades that they made was to put targets at 10 yard intervals starting at 30 yards and they go out to 100 yards. I got a bucket of balls, which normally have 40 balls in them and went to get some practice. I decided that I would use that entire bucket and hit my sand wedge starting at the 30 and working my way up and to see how far I could get. The only rule I placed on myself is that I must hit the target on the fly. No bouncing them into it or rolling it up to it. The targets are about 3'. I was amazed how long it took me to hit the 3' target at 30 yards, I thought I would hit it and the 40 yard target pretty easily but I was wrong. I didn't realize how difficult it is to hit a 3' target with no room for error.

I ended up hitting the 30 yard target but could never get a direct hit on the 40 yard target. I hit every possible spot around the 40 yard target, but could never nail it on the fly. I went in and talked to the pro and he said that's a great idea, grabbed his wedge and we went back down there. He was able to get through the 60 yard target and had 3 balls left but couldn't hit the 70. Now we've both taken it as a challenge to get better, so that is what I am going to concentrate on for the near future.

It's a lot of fun but can be embarrassing and irritating at the same time. Nobody thinks it's that difficult until they try it.

1st range session in 4 weeks tonight and go figure, hit the ball great. I'm seeing some funny distances with shorter clubs but it could just be rust.
I find putting all my focus on turning instead of swaying gives me a great flight and crisp contact. I like it.

1st range session in 4 weeks tonight and go figure, hit the ball great. I'm seeing some funny distances with shorter clubs but it could just be rust.
I find putting all my focus on turning instead of swaying gives me a great flight and crisp contact. I like it.
I like it. Good for you. Now start getting back out there and playing again!

Had a great lesson and good practice afterward.

Got my takeaway squared away and loading into my right side under control. Also work on alignment I was aimed well right, got straightened out.

With the changes my ball flight completely changed for the better, got some pop back in the swing as well.

Went to the range last night. Worked on slowing down my take away with irons and having the butt end of the shaft point down at the ground once it passes my right hip per Tadashi's recommendation.

Drove for 24hrs in 2 days with 5hrs of sleep so I got through half a bucket before things started falling apart and it was hard to focus. Rushed through the remainder of the bucket just to get home.

Tempo. Tempo. Tempo.

During my lesson yesterdy, my instructor noticed during my warm up that I rush myslef.
When I remain in tempo, better things happen.

I got up and got some work in the garage hitting into my net, with a focus on tempo, and keeping my reght elbow tucked.

I may have the opportunity to play Wednesday, to put everything into action.

Swing feels much better!
Love garage practice sessions!

Gonna be working on my putting stroke today at home. This has been a rough transition back to a mallet head putter and its driving me nuts.

Ok I think I figured something out. On video I can see myself coming out of the putting stroke early and it's either a push or pull almost every time. I moved the ball back a little bit in my stance and made sure to putt through the ball and finish with my hands pointed at the target and started to really put a nice roll on it. It feels good because I honestly felt lost over the ball yesterday and that's a sick feeling

Enjoying a range and testing session with my Dad today. What a great time. Oh and did a little iron shoot out on the LM.

caf3fb152860c2156ddb5607a68b87f2.jpg

44c54bfa38571a3ed34b0d38f88282a3.jpg

I can not wait to get back to the range

Hit a large and medium bucket in the range today working on tempo and swing length. I have been getting long with my swing again and contact and direction have been off. Took a little while but finally found the swing length I was working on earlier in the year. Tempo was still a little quick and most if the issue was a quick transition from backswing to downswing. Spent most of the medium bucket working on this. By the end of the session transition was better.

Hit the range this morning. A touch windy so just focused on my swing and what not.

Driver and fairways were solid. Irons were frustrating me a bit as I have been struggling with the pulls a bit. Everything just going slight left. Not pretty enough to be a draw, but not terrible enough to be angry about.

Worked on my stance and focused on my strike and taking a divot and worked my way through it.

Short game area with the MD2s was fun. Still catching them thin at times, but liked the playability on the shots I was able to pull off with the 56* Md2

Hit the range this morning. A touch windy so just focused on my swing and what not.

Driver and fairways were solid. Irons were frustrating me a bit as I have been struggling with the pulls a bit. Everything just going slight left. Not pretty enough to be a draw, but not terrible enough to be angry about.

Worked on my stance and focused on my strike and taking a divot and worked my way through it.

Short game area with the MD2s was fun. Still catching them thin at times, but liked the playability on the shots I was able to pull off with the 56* Md2

Beags back playing/practicing makes me smile...im glad things settled down for you to get back out and enjoy the game dude!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back