The THP Range/Practice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Next stop for me is the range. Objective will be to shorten the swing and trust that what I THINK is 3/4 is actually probably about right. Swing is just way too long right now. Looking for a drill that might help with this.

JM

Back to work. Heading down to the man cave to work on chipping.

Think I'll do the 5 gallon bucket at 5', 10', and 15'. Work on hitting my target.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My game from 125 and in has been atrocious lately, so I've decided to actually fix it. On the advice from a good friend, I started using more club and hitting 1/2 and 3/4 swings instead of full swings into the green and so far, the results have been good on the range. Hitting 200 balls into a 110 yard green using 50* wedge and PW feels a bit odd, but I can't argue with the results so far.

They also installed 3'x3' targets on the range at 30-100 yards at 10 yard intervals, so the Pro and I have a game going. Taking 40 balls and starting at the 30 yard target, we see how many targets we can hit on the fly (no bouncing or rolling the ball onto them) in order. The first time we did it, I could only get the 30 yard target and struggled with the 40. I was rolling balls all over it, but couldn't hit it on the fly within the 40 ball limit.

Using these two practice techniques, I'm going to get my short game in order over the winter.

My range session was wonderful if you like lost distance, weak fades, pulls and an inability to get to the left side. I left the range and scheduled a lesson with my pro.

My range session was wonderful if you like lost distance, weak fades, pulls and an inability to get to the left side. I left the range and scheduled a lesson with my pro.

Sounds like a good majority of my range sessions to be honest.

Got a good range session in this afternoon before the rain came back. Went through the bag while focusing on really extending towards my target. Was pleased with my ball striking from PW through 5 and then it became a little inconsistent with the top of the bag. Throughout the session I worked in some chipping picking out some targets right in front of me to chip to. Finished the session with some putting on the indoor green.

f0d043eea959a6ba81c8ae2d0cafbf4b.jpg

Spent about 30 minutes at the chipping green tonight working with the short game.
Playing 2 different shots, from the same spot, as if the course dictated it.
First 10 balls were straight pitches at a hole about 50 feet away and I am about 8 yards off the green. I use my AW for this shot and bump it onto the green and play it just like a putt.
Next 10 balls was flying the ball all the way to the pin where I want it to stop dead. I use my PM Grind 60* for this and really like playing this shot.
Next 10 balls was a hybrid of the two with a 54* where I play the ball a bit back in the stance, but still am looking at getting some air time and then run out softly about 10 feet or so.
Finally back to the first two formats.

Felt good to get back out there and work on getting up and down.
I plan on #OWN125 this year.

Nice. Short game work is where I need to focus on the next few weeks. It was solid yesterday, but still some of those touch type shots that I used to rely on so much are still just not where I want them to be.

Glad to see you dialing that short game back in.

Spent about 30 minutes at the chipping green tonight working with the short game.
First 10 balls were straight pitches at a hole about 50 feet away and I am about 8 yards off the green. I use my AW for this shot and bump it onto the green and play it just like a putt.
Next 10 balls was flying the ball all the way to the pin where I want it to stop dead. I use my PM Grind 60* for this and really like playing this shot.
Next 10 balls was a hybrid of the two with a 54* where I play the ball a bit back in the stance, but still am looking at getting some air time and then run out softly about 10 feet or so.

The bump and run with the aw is a shot I need to practice more as well. And I also use the 54 for the low spinner that checks and runs out a bit. Pm lob wedge is awesome at those needed shots where you want to fly the ball and stop. 3 shots that I plan on working on a lot more as well when the weather starts cooperating

You mean you can find time to practice in between orchestrating all the awesome that has been going on latley. Sounds like you had a very productive day.

Dude thats sweet you were able to get some time in, you owning 125 and in is scary

Worked on longer wedge shots today, 70 yards with the 58 and 115 yards with the 50. My instructor had me put more wrist hinge at the top of my backswing, which immediately improved the high, weak wedge shots I've been experiencing lately. Contact was solid and they felt and sounded completely different as I was actually compressing the ball instead of scooping it.

Nice. Short game work is where I need to focus on the next few weeks. It was solid yesterday, but still some of those touch type shots that I used to rely on so much are still just not where I want them to be.

Glad to see you dialing that short game back in.

I really found myself hitting great drives and then doing nothing. When missing the green my chips were just far enough that two putts came into play. It was the difference between 82 and 75 last time out.

Dude thats sweet you were able to get some time in, you owning 125 and in is scary

Right now as a few THPers can attest to, I drive for big time show and do nothing else around the course for dough. In the last 18 months i have picked up close to 15 yards of distance, but lost all feel around the greens from not playing.

I really found myself hitting great drives and then doing nothing. When missing the green my chips were just far enough that two putts came into play. It was the difference between 82 and 75 last time out.

so much this. the only reason I shot 78 last week is because I had 28 putts, and only hitting 8 greens and making nothing outside 5' means I hit chips and pitches close enough to have a tap in. if I had taken my normal 32-35 putts I would have shot 82-85.

There's something about arriving at the range to a pyramid of practice pro V1s/pro V1x balls that just excites you to want to practice more

be06b27100d9367898aaa4a29235b7a2.jpg

JB. I really like an appreciate the detail of how to work on green side chipping. I plan to do that a lot this winter. And honestly today I was wondering what type shots would be good to try.

I like the variety of those.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Suggestions for short sided. Say pin is 5yrds from edge, ball is just in edge of ruff (edge of fringe). Can just be fairly flat.
I know my problem is mental, afraid of it. But dang it I really struggling with this

Felt good to get back on the range. Nothing special just a 9 iron and a 56. Picking targets and flighting the ball up and down. It was a little wet, but not bad.

Spent another couple hours working on my sand game as well as some chipping and pitching around the green. Started easy with just stuff on the fringe, then ramped it up to the awful lies like short sided and muddy/under tree lies. It was fun and frustrating at the same time.

The last two night I've really work on takeaway and turning properly along with tempo got to slow down to be fast and accurate

My game off the tee and with my irons are as good as ever right now. My wedges have been killing me for awhile now. Accuracy, distance and consistency just aren't there. Really need to put the work in from 130 and in.

My game off the tee and with my irons are as good as ever right now. My wedges have been killing me for awhile now. Accuracy, distance and consistency just aren't there. Really need to put the work in from 130 and in.

Work harder.

You'll need it.

#alienface

hit the sim w/ six4three5 last night, got some good coaching on my hands and take away positioning, great to have someone who can spot errors in your swing and help out. must of hit a couple of hundred balls last night and of course the last swing was the best of the night!

I typically haven't spent a lot of time in this thread. That's about to change in 2016.

Just sayin.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back