Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 816 Fairway Wood Review

I thought the 16° was the highest moi ?

Didn't expect to get fit into this line, but Garrett liked shot shape I was getting with these as I was hitting the GBB fairways a little too high. We ended up with the 14* in the +1N setting with the weight up front. I was able to get 235 of carry with these fairly consistently (about 8-10 yards longer than my exotics xcg6) at ECPC, and I'm kicking myself for not taking PhillyV's lead and playing this off of the tee more often. Very surprised with this line!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I thought the 16° was the highest moi ?

You may be right. I thought I heard a couple zoo crew guys say the 16 was the most forgiving and highest moi but I could have heard wrong

You may be right. I thought I heard a couple zoo crew guys say the 16 was the most forgiving and highest moi but I could have heard wrong
That's what I heard as well. Highest MOI was in the 16°

Correct. I said the wrong loft in that first post my bad
It's cool man. you met with the brains this week. I trusted you and was confused. I thought the world as I knew it had ceased to exist.

I continue to absolutely love this 3 wood. Both on the tee box and from the fairway or short rough. 270 from the first cut off the deck had me absolutely shocked. If I didn't love the DBD as much as I did I wouldn't ever hit driver

Serious ponder of a 816 3w.... I am just hearing too many good things!

Could see you giving the 16 degree a whirl cj.

Im debating making a change from the GBB to this for the increase in MOI and the fact that I hit it extremely well.

Im debating making a change from the GBB to this for the increase in MOI and the fact that I hit it extremely well.

During my fitting I hit the GBB 3 and 5 wood really well. But the less spin from the 816's helped so much. I was 10-15 yards longer with both

I want one of these. I love what I'm reading about them!

I continue to absolutely love the 14*. Probably the best club in the bag for me. Just a beast off a tee and off the deck

This is the club I am most enamored with as time passes since #TheGrandaddy. Best part is I only remembered to talk about the 3w spot at the very end of my fitting and Nick told me "there is zero reason for us to go GBB with you there, 816, 16 degree, heavy forward, Rogue 70x, done". I'll be the first to say this scared me a bit based on my personal thoughts of what/where my swing was (we will just say I was selling myself short, yes Dan, I know you've been telling me that for two years) but on the range the next day it was love at first swing. It became a go-to for me at the event, and looking back I should have pulled it at least 10 more times those couple days.

I'm seeing a nice high ball-flight with this setup, and more importantly (as ddec talked about) this is the highest MOI fairway that Callaway produces, Finley took it a step further in Cali and said its THE best fairway they have ever made. I played the GBB 3w before this and loved it, but this is another level, from the tee and deck I'm just silly comfortable with it. It sounds phenomenal, gives plenty of feedback for me, and more importantly its long as hell. I hit it a TON on the course I played today and it was a consistent 250+ for me, more importantly, in play.

Seriously freaking ADORE this club. Call me a homer, call me whatever you want, but this is an effing ridiculously good fairway.

I call you awesome. Thanks for the info. The GBB will be in the bag for me come spring and have really enjoyed my rounds so far with it, especially off the tee but thanks to you this one will be on the radar.

Hi James. You're welcome for the torment. I hate you for the return torment in making me acquire one of these eventually.

I need the torment. I'm sick of just getting by with decently good golf. I'm better than that.

You need the club. 13* and you will hit the dumbest and most fun bombs of your 3w playing life.

I call you awesome. Thanks for the info. The GBB will be in the bag for me come spring and have really enjoyed my rounds so far with it, especially off the tee but thanks to you this one will be on the radar.

I was 100% set on GBB for #TheGrandaddy, I mean 100%, and I only asked Nick at the end of the fitting his thoughts on a whim (we spent my time on irons, hybrids, and driver because those were the three I really wanted fit for more than anything) as I mentioned wanting to keep HW in the back and not got 3, 4, and 5 Apex hybos. He didn't flinch in his recommendation and explained it to me in numbers relative to my swing traits, I simply said do it. By gosh I'm thrilled that I did too.

I had a ton of fun with 3w's over the last two seasons, loved the G30 as it was versatile and easy up, loved the Mini 1.5 because it was a tee monster, loved the GBB because it was versatile easy up and long, this though is more versatile consistent and longer for me.

Late to respond, but that is my hope, James!

And getting the 14* should mean that it's slightly open at 13 degrees, which is very ideal for me.

For those who have it in the bag already, how much have you been playing with the weights?

And getting the 14* should mean that it's slightly open at 13 degrees, which is very ideal for me.

For those who have it in the bag already, how much have you been playing with the weights?
I played with the weights a fair bit at the start. Tried both settings in the range session to start, felt more comfortable with it back for forgiveness. Later in moved heavy weight forward for use off the tee and it's stayed there. It's just so easy to hit, I still hit it well off the deck too. It's been some time since I've hit it, but it ain't leaving my bag anytime soon.

I'm actually toying with the idea of adding a 3w again. Current bag is going driver, 2h,3h and 4h. I think it may be beneficial to go driver, 3w (strong for tee use), 2h then 4h. Of course the 816 3w is top of the list

I haven't messed with the weights. I have the envy weight up front and have been good with that setup. I want the more moi.

Oh Boy!!

I just posted the other day how I haven't found a 3W yet that can beat out my Optiforce that is over 3 years old now.

Well, I may have spoke to soon. I hit Emart2173's Alpha 4W yesterday at the range. And shot after shot after shot, was long and straight (off the matt) the tee I was using had no short tees. I kept waiting for the magic to wear off. But I was loving everything about it. It was just very addictive and I kept wanting to hit it.

Oh Boy!!

I just posted the other day how I haven't found a 3W yet that can beat out my Optiforce that is over 3 years old now.

Well, I may have spoke to soon. I hit Emart2173's Alpha 4W yesterday at the range. And shot after shot after shot, was long and straight (off the matt) the tee I was using had no short tees. I kept waiting for the magic to wear off. But I was loving everything about it. It was just very addictive and I kept wanting to hit it.

The 16* is just incredible. So so so so so so incredible.

I didnt want to play with the weights at all. Thats how much i love this thing. 16g in the back and let it rip

Back