Callaway Apex CF 16 Irons Review Thread

Nice! :)

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Yep I enjoy it. I gained about a club maybe a touch more in the long irons. The short irons I am only about 1/2 club longer which actually makes me very happy and I have not noticed any huge gaps anywhere

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Excellent, sir! So uh... how long will the honeymoon last? :D
Yep I enjoy it. I gained about a club maybe a touch more in the long irons. The short irons I am only about 1/2 club longer which actually makes me very happy and I have not noticed any huge gaps anywhere

Excellent, sir! So uh... how long will the honeymoon last? :D

Well we went through a rough patch to begin with so hoping this honeymoon will last all season. I have a challenge against Kang I need to win ;) he needs some NC golf in his life and I am going to make that happen.

Well we went through a rough patch to begin with so hoping this honeymoon will last all season. I have a challenge against Kang I need to win ;) he needs some NC golf in his life and I am going to make that happen.

That's win/win for me lol

Well then, get it done sir. I know you can win. He does need some NC golf.

So I'm looking for some advice on these. I'm pondering the purchase of CF16's 4-PW but wanted to get your guys thoughts on if I will see a big performance difference between these and my current irons, Bridgestone J40 dpc's. I realize the J40's are older models but is there going to be a big improvement in performance? The reason I am questioning it is simply that $1,100 is a good chunk of money to drop so I guess I am just trying to justify the decision.

So I'm looking for some advice on these. I'm pondering the purchase of CF16's 4-PW but wanted to get your guys thoughts on if I will see a big performance difference between these and my current irons, Bridgestone J40 dpc's. I realize the J40's are older models but is there going to be a big improvement in performance? The reason I am questioning it is simply that $1,100 is a good chunk of money to drop so I guess I am just trying to justify the decision.
You will see a significant difference. Significant.

In fact, Nebgolfer was gaming those irons before his #TheGrandaddy fitting I do believe and neb saw some amazing jumps in performance.

The DPC are excellent irons, but these simply offer a lot more in terms of launch and ball speed on misses than those can based on profile and tech.

You will see a significant difference. Significant.

In fact, Nebgolfer was gaming those irons before his #TheGrandaddy fitting I do believe and neb saw some amazing jumps in performance.

The DPC are excellent irons, but these simply offer a lot more in terms of launch and ball speed on misses than those can based on profile and tech.

Thanks Jman, that's great to hear. I'll go search through the thread too and look for Nebgolfers feedback. I think I'll have time over lunch to go take a look at these again and hopefully get a few swings in.

Thanks Jman, that's great to hear. I'll go search through the thread too and look for Nebgolfers feedback. I think I'll have time over lunch to go take a look at these again and hopefully get a few swings in.
Short answer, you will be happy making the switch.

From a looks perspective, the CFs are slightly, and I mean slightly, larger, but nothing that says you're going from a players iron to an SGI or anything (I'll get some compare pictures tonight).

The forgiveness is where you will notice the biggest difference. On center of face shots, the few that I've hit, the feel is similar, but when you deviate from the center as I often do, the CFs feel and perform worlds better. My common misses are low on the face and towards the toe, and with the DPCs that meant low screamers or coming up 30 yards short, respectively. With the CFs, on bladed shots the ball still gets a decent amount of elevation, and on toe shots I was seeing maybe a 10 yard loss.

I have seen some increase in distance, but to me overall distance isn't as important as consistent distance, and I really haven't had enough time with the CFs to comment on that yet. I will say that there isn't a single component to the DPCs that makes me miss them compared to the CFs, so if you're OK spending the money, they should be a pretty good upgrade for you.

Some increase might be short selling it Neb, I still remember the smile on your face when you told me numbers on the range!! Hahaha

Thanks for the awesome feedback. My most common miss is also towards the toe so that's really great to hear. Distance on well struck shots really isn't a priority for me so it's really nice to hear the improvement on forgiveness. I'm excited to give these a swing today!

I want these so bad (still haven't hit them but sometimes you just know righ). I still have some buyers remorse for not getting the Apexes over my Z545s and I really think I want a mid launch shaft like the KBS Tours over my lower launching S300s although my PX/TT love makes really consider the DG Pros.

I'm going to Memphis to be fit sometime in January. Just really ready for that day to come. My Christmas bonus is burning a hole in my pocket.

The more I hear about the forgiveness on the miss low on the face, the more excited I get to get these in hand.

with all the struggles i had withe the sim yesterday i started to just focus on how impact was and man these irons just fit me well. Cup Face is my friend and i really didnt see much yardage loss when i mis hit some shots. I also really like the CF combo with the PX6.0.

with all the struggles i had withe the sim yesterday i started to just focus on how impact was and man these irons just fit me well. Cup Face is my friend and i really didnt see much yardage loss when i mis hit some shots. I also really like the CF combo with the PX6.0.

Thanks for letting me try them (I totally forgot lol)

haha you should have hit Misikes. He has Recoils in his. I have "rebar" in mine lol

haha you should have hit Misikes. He has Recoils in his. I have "rebar" in mine lol

I think you'll like hitting Misike's Mike! They were so easy to swing compaed to my irons. And that satin finish is sweet-looking! I always thought your Z545's were the best looking clubs I've seen in person, but the Apex CF16's are right up there.

I forgot to add - it seems like they were going a lot farther than my old ones too.

Well unfortunately our store didn't have the CF16 heads to demo. I guess my patience will be tested for awhile now.

Ordered. Now the wait begins.

Back