Confidence in smaller heads? How?

PinHunter

Reaction score
Handicap
I see all this talk about when someone sees a smaller club head down by the ball it inspires confidence compared to a bigger GI club head.

how is this possible?

A bigger club head down by the ball should scream "I can't miss!!"

Maybe someone can explain this to me ..

I see all this talk about when someone sees a smaller club head down by the ball it inspires confidence compared to a bigger GI club head.

how is this possible?

If you had started playing when I did in the early 1970's, you would understand. How big the head is has nothing to do with playing well. Those big heads are harder to get back to square than most would think. Smaller is always better, along with less chance of twisting on off center hits at impact.

Because someone else said it

It sounds right

Have to focus more

This is what I hear guys say and I just smile. A good golf swing is all that inspires confidence.

If I'm goofing around with a smaller head I used to focus more on making a great swing as with a SGI head where I loose focus and just swing.

I've learned to focus the same with any head and control my swing better. So when I miss it's a smaller miss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you had started playing when I did in the early 1970's, you would understand. How big the head is has nothing to do with playing well. Those big heads are harder to get back to square than most would think. Smaller is always better, along with less chance of twisting on off center hits at impact.

Moment of Inertia says otherwise.

I find a larger club head with a shorter shaft inspires the most confidence in me. Pair a 460 cc head with a 44.5-45" shaft and I have a ton of confidence my drive will stay in play. The only time a smaller head gives me more confidence is a three wood off the deck and by smaller I really mean a shallower profile.

I don't know about that. I could never hit driver until the head became the size of an infant.

Lots of people rave about the mini drivers though, but I am not sure I would want to go back to that.

I don't know about that. I could never hit driver until the head became the size of an infant.

Lots of people rave about the mini drivers though, but I am not sure I would want to go back to that.

I'm just too old school. I just don't need a driver the size a trash can to hit the ball. JMO.

I'm just too old school. I just don't need a driver the size a trash can to hit the ball. JMO.

I mean isn't your current driver 440 CCs? 20 isn't that much difference between yours and a "trash can" sized driver

Only club I prefer smaller is fairway woods, and it has more to do with face height than anything. Too deep faced and I feel myself trying to help it in the air to hit it, or make some sort of manipulation to get it airborne.

I mean isn't your current driver 440 CCs? 20 isn't that much difference between yours and a "trash can" sized driver

You are correct in 20 CC's being very very little in terms of size.
I once had an R&D guy say to me "What's 20 CCs, I had a college roommate leave that on towels". Probably the grossest thing I have ever heard in golf.

I can't argue old school, but I quit carrying driver because I couldn't hit them. Then I discovered the big drivers and now it's one of my favorite clubs.

I dunno why this is but when I got fitted for my driver both the Xr regular and g30 ls had much worse impact patterns for me than Xr pro or even razer fit xtreme I had.

Not is it is not a lot of difference to most, but it is to me. Everything is subjective.

Not is it is not a lot of difference to most, but it is to me. Everything is subjective.

Oh I absolutely agree. I just thought calling it trash can sized was a bit much when you are using something only fractionally bigger.

I only like a smaller head on a hybrid. Makes no sense to me but otherwise I don't like the smaller head.

how is this possible?
As with HoosierGolfer, I started playing in the 70's and for me the smaller clubheads just look better to my eye across the board.

Against all logic and contrary to popular opinion, a thick top line and bigger face or head do not inspire confidence for me. It's just the opposite. Luckily, player profile clubs are almost as forgiving as the bigger ones these days (and offer a million times more forgiveness than clubs from my past) so I don't feel like I'm really losing out on anything with the clubs I end up playing. It's all about what works for the individual.

One postscript - I have just purchased my first 460cc driver, the M1, which doesn't look as big as some and am quite happy with it so far. I just need the snow to clear so I can take it out on the course for a shakedown.

How do you hit a hybrid or Utility? If the mind set is that larger profile gives issues, both of those clubs are larger profile. Genuine question.

How do you hit a hybrid or Utility? If the mind set is that larger profile gives issues, both of those clubs are larger profile. Genuine question.
Good question JB. Regarding hybrids, I actually love them because they are like the tiny persimmon 4 & 5 woods from the 70's/80's. I'm not looking at them as iron substitutes but smaller FW wood alternatives.
My Callaway Utility has the same blade length as my CMB 5-iron, but the face height is shorter so no problem there. I'll admit it took a while to get over that bulbous back of the club, but after a few rounds all I saw was the club face and ball.

I'm going to side with Hoosier and Wakit300 ... smaller is definitely better/easier to my eye as well. I think our eyes get "set" with a certain look and everything then is relative to that favored look.

I'm going to side with Hoosier and Wakit300 ... smaller is definitely better/easier to my eye as well. I think our eyes get "set" with a certain look and everything then is relative to that favored look.

I don't doubt the subjective preference. Everybody has that and it can make choosing equipment a lot of fun. It was said that smaller was better and less prone to twisting. That's not really accurate.

I think the best part is that there is stuff out there for everybody and people should play exactly what they want.

Last edited:
Nothing inspires confidence quite like performance. While I tend to think smaller irons look prettier, give me forgiveness and consistent distances all day. Practice with my clubs, and knowing how they are going to perform (despite the occasional bad strike) is what gives me confidence.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I can't speak for everyone but I can say that if you want more confidence in a small club head, practice more, it's the only thing that works.

blades vs cavity backs 2.0...

i prefer smaller. it's a confidence thing, that's all. i don't want miura baby blades, but i don't want ping g series. it's purely subjective and what suits the eye, it's not an objective one is better than the other. the trick is to add forgiveness into the smaller package, something i think we are starting to see executed really well in i25, cf 16, driving forged, just to name a few.

Wife went from a TEE XCG6 4 Hy to a Adams Red 4Hy that is a smaller head. Loves it...less chunky she is hitting the ball cleaner, fat & divot shots are going longer due to less turf interaction.

Back