Do You Keep An Accurate Handicap?

Yes, through the GHIN system. I have for a few years to track my level of play and to play in tournaments, which I never seem to do...

I do keep up with my handicap and scores. It's a number needed to play in events.

I wonder about that. The club's computer spits me out at 12.6 as of now, but most of my social play is head-to-head with conceded putts and pick ups on lost holes.
One is instructed to put an "x" before the best estimated number not exceeding the stroke limit for the handicap range.

Here's the irony: playing alone, I can post strict medal-play scores. But now, solo round scores aren't accepted for handicap submission!

I keep all my scoring in the GolfShot app. I use whatever system they have for calculating it. it seems reasonable to me based off my scores.

Whether it be official like the one someone can get from THP, or unofficial, do you keep one? Why or why not?
Hope this isn't a silly question but do you have a link to the THP handicap system?

I do not have or keep an accurate handicap. I don't play often enough to keep one and I don't play in any events where one is needed. Most of the time when I'm golfing, it's 3 1/2 - 4 hours of peace and relaxation.

Yes, I keep an accurate handicap index because the senior golf associations to which I belong mandates it. However, I must note that it is accurate based on the system established, more specifically, the ratings and slopes assigned to the courses. I don't think these established factors accurately reflect my circumstances or game. At most venues, the handicap variance for my index between the regular tees and the senior tees is typically 1 to 2 strokes. However, personally, I find that the actual difference for me is typically is 4 to 5 strokes. It is basically related to distance. For example, most par 4s longer than 380 yards becomes a par 5 for me. Because I play a lot of golf with younger bucks, I post a lot of scores from the regular tees which are reflected in my index. Then when I play senior tournaments, I feel almost like I am cheating. But I'm told as long as I post all my scores and make any required equity adjustments, it's the system, and my index is legal, so to speak.

I keep a very accurate handicap. We play for a decent amount of money and give each other strokes accordingly, so it is a must to keep up with your handicap. Also all our club tournaments require an accurate handicap.

Yes, both of my last 2 clubs have provided GHIN handicaps.....in fact, I have 2 now since I switched clubs when I moved.....my old club's handicap will disappear after the first of the year.

I keep one so that I can track my progress as I try to get better and also for a few tournaments I play in each year.

I have had an official handicap for more than 40 years. I have almost always belonged to a club and played in MGA club tournaments and was required to have an official USGA handicap. I also play in a tournament league and play in a couple of large out of state tournaments that require an official handicap.

Back