Let's Talk #THPCallOut 2016 (Discussion)

I can say that this would lead to exclusion based solely off of history. Once a thread reaches 5 pages, newcomers no longer pay attention, click or anything else.
So are you advocating keeping the initial call out in regional threads (for those that need a lead time), then launching a thread as time draws near, like week or 10 days

Except for to many individual threads I did not think this was going bad. For those of us in areas that there are not many active members we have to reach to other areas to call people out.
Personally I like the idea of one main thread fr call outs then just before hand start a new thread.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Would a large thread where call outs take place help? Or add to confusion?

For example, I call you out in the main thread for a few months from now, the we discuss the logistics and as the time nears we start a thread that it's time?

I think this is a great idea.

I can only speak for me and why I thought this was a good idea.
1 on 1 encourages new members and quieter members to possibly get involved, as its easy to find a single person on the forum that you might connect with or is close to you. It also makes it easier to schedule.
Then add, where does it stop? What number stops it from being a get together instead of a THP Call Out?

Im all about inclusive and the original goal was to inspire people to get out to the course with another THPer. I think when it becomes traveling groups and such, it becomes more about playing golf with the same friends. While there is nothing wrong with that, and we strongly encourage that as well, it was just different from where we expected this to go.

So are ou advocating keeping the initial call out in regional threads (for those that need a lead time), then launching a thread as time draws near, like week or 10 days

I dont really care where it happens. If someone wants to discuss it somewhere else, fine by me.

Except for to many individual threads I did not think this was going bad. For those of us in areas that there are not many active members we have to reach to other areas to call people out.
Personally I like the idea of one main thread fr call outs then just before hand start a new thread.

I think there are a lot more people in regions than people realize if people look at where they are posting from (I understand Tapatalk doesnt allow this).
But I will use your thread as an example here. Looks like fun, we are all about fun, but now its turning into who the 4th is going to be.

Nothing wrong with that, but its not really a call out, and more a get together.
Both are awesome, both are fun.

Just my thoughts as I posted above.

I like these ground rules and I love the early excitement about this.

I've already started to lose track of the Call Outs with some of them being so long from now, but I also understand it when guys are doing long distance call outs.

Simple ground rule can be call out matches need played within a month of the call out

I love the Callouts and agree the lead time should be a few weeks so that it can keep its steam. It also allows the few Callouts that have been made to get some serious attention.

I really think some will fall between the cracks in the coming weeks because they are so far out.

I'm not against double call outs by one person but the terms need to be clear.

I like the idea of having the details already worked out before posting. Ideally should be within a couple weeks or a month at most, though I do like the idea of the canadan/kang one where the time actually means something. I personally would rather see most posted then done within 2 weeks or so. I think that keeps us involved and doesn't let it get dragged out too much. I'd like to see more posting of the "tale of the tape" in the callout. All in all I love these and look forward to my first callout.

I like the ground rules and maybe to your point and Dans point earlier have a structured title so it's the same across the aboard.

i like the idea of keeping the call out to a few weeks before but as others pointed out if it's a person traveling to call out and to keep it all inclusive there maybe a need for lead time to get schedules squared away.

i don't see any issues with a potential callout in the regional threads to setup the date then once finalized the calling person can start their thread

I think the call outs are a great idea.
I also think that (and could be wrong) that the goal was to get thp'ers out on the course.

I plan on many a call out this spring/summer and the terms will be clear, with a little side bet on the line...

That time frame was kind of what I was thinking at first which is why I didn't do one right away. Once I saw others go up I guess I figured that's not how it was going to go.

Should current ones set in the future be deleted? No problem with me regarding the one I posted if that's the case

Doesnt have to be complicated.

Setup thread 2-3 weeks out and uron out details.

If its one that common sense says it will take a few months to setup then do not setup thread. Iron it out via pm (thats not inclusive no one really cares that much about the deets months in advance.

Once its inside 2 to 3 week window post it.

Easy peasy no mega thread, no 50 million threads for 6 months from now

Not sure what I think is the best way to do the call outs. Distance is going to be the issue with most of these. Timing is the next.
I do like the idea of a separate thread for call outs, then start a new thread for each when the time is getting close for the match.
The issue I see with the call outs in one thread is that many will get missed. people aren't going to frequent the thread every single day. The only way I see that working is to have the call out posted and a pm sent to the individual being called out, so they know it has happened.

Would a large thread where call outs take place help? Or add to confusion?

For example, I call you out in the main thread for a few months from now, the we discuss the logistics and as the time nears we start a thread that it's time?

Like that idea...definitely appreciate that some need more planning than others. A general thread could be great for the callouts and then an "official" match thread goes up 1-2 weeks prior to the match and everyone can predict who will win based on current handicaps/format, etc.
I like the idea large thread that gives people the opportunity, but my concern would be people missing the callout as it could get lost in a flurry of posts to the thread.

I do like the match thread that could include the "Tale of Tape" on both THPers.

If its one that common sense says it will take a few months to setup then do not setup thread. Iron it out via pm (thats not inclusive no one really cares that much about the deets months in advance.

Exactly.

How about a subforum of the Outings & Local Events forum, which is specifically for Call Out threads?

How about a subforum of the Outings & Local Events forum, which is specifically for Call Out threads?

The outings section doesn't get viewed, a sub forum would be missed entirely sadly

I definitely think the typical #THPCallOut should definitely have a shelf life.. Two to three weeks sounds really good unless the stakes/criteria require and extended conversation.

Great idea War. As I think this concept is awesome, having an agreed upon set of guidelines in place will not only keep things fresh, but also avoid 1,000 threads that span Call outs across the entire summer.

I like the thoughts. This is going to be fantastic!

I agree it makes more sense to only have it's own thread once the callout is a few weeks out. I was in the same mindset as cbaker in that I wasn't going to do any call out until the weather got nicer but then I saw a few go up for future dates with travel involved so I figure why not get it out there now. I think either a general large thread or doing it through PMs will work better instead of tons of individual threads.

I like easy peasy.

My 2¢.... I like the idea to keep the threads no more than 2-3 weeks out. Keeps from them getting buried or stale for months at a time.

I don't see the problem of ironing out details via PM months in advance for those that need travel time. A large thread will only discourage people from reading it and possibly missing a call out because of the banter that will inevitably take place.

Will be great to have this take off and will be a lot of fun to get people out on the course, especially the newer members, so I hope everyone can get on board and make this thing great.

If we have 2-3 week lead time from call out to match you basically eliminate big swaths of the country from participating for about 3 months due to winter. Longer lad time is necessary for some and simply pragmatic in other instances (eg, me traveling to Vegas in June, Fuppy traveling back east in a few months)...it's better to get something on the books now rather than wait.

I like the idea of a common place / forum location for this. Seems like a good way to organize stuff.

Finally, I love the idea - it's just fun.

this works for me

#449 is right on the nose. PMs work well for setup. Ironing out where/when details is not particularly interesting. Once that's all sorted 2-3weeks out put up the thread including a "tale of the tape" and as the Epic Rap Battles of history team would say: "Lethebattle BEGIN"

Sent from the magic know everything box in my pocket

Back