2015 Fitness and Working Out Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Squats, bench press, power cleans tonight. Power cleans are a lot of fun. Feeling it a bit afterwards. Steak and chicken burritos and more milk. Next two days off!

Got a video of my last squat set. Need to get my chest higher I think.
http://youtu.be/qUnTKFMEw30
Joe already commented but looking pretty damn good dude! Keep it going! Gym looks nice too.

Might not be at the gym, but hit the Kickr trainer for a bit on Zwift. Favorite part about riding the bike on the trainer + Zwift is that I get simulated climbing that really helps me get a good workout in (not too many hills around me...)...

Screen%20Shot%202016-01-06%20at%209.48.55%20PM_zps1ztmm1ir.png

Wanted to keep the HR in Zone 3 for the ride as I was just spinning for an hour to get a quick workout in, but I went hard on some of the climbs and ended up spending a lot of time in Zone 4.

Screen%20Shot%202016-01-06%20at%209.53.46%20PM_zpswgqul5dg.png

Solid workout anyway.

2015 Fitness and Working Out Thread

When your insurance company says you need to be an arbitrary weight on an arbitrary BMI scale

Yes another person that sees this, I've had this conversation with many people and even asked my Dr one time how you can have a chart like that when it can be so far off. Even before I added the 10 lbs I was deemed overweight by a BMI chart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Joe already commented but looking pretty damn good dude! Keep it going! Gym looks nice too.
Thanks dude! Gym is the Cleveland State rec center, so they have a pretty good setup. Lots of people using the squat and power racks for their intended puproses. Only negatives are no bumper plates and only liquid chalk, though having done a bit of climbing, I find the liquid chalk easier to use than powdered or a chalk ball.

Might not be at the gym, but hit the Kickr trainer for a bit on Zwift. Favorite part about riding the bike on the trainer + Zwift is that I get simulated climbing that really helps me get a good workout in (not too many hills around me...)...

Screen%20Shot%202016-01-06%20at%209.48.55%20PM_zps1ztmm1ir.png

Wanted to keep the HR in Zone 3 for the ride as I was just spinning for an hour to get a quick workout in, but I went hard on some of the climbs and ended up spending a lot of time in Zone 4.

Screen%20Shot%202016-01-06%20at%209.53.46%20PM_zpswgqul5dg.png

Solid workout anyway.
I did a lot of heart rate training during my marathon days. So hard to stay down in an easier zone at times. Feels like you are going so slow.

I did a lot of heart rate training during my marathon days. So hard to stay down in an easier zone at times. Feels like you are going so slow.
It really does, doesnt it? I typically ignore it, because I want to focus on my power/speed instead. However, i know that I NEED to follow my HR to stay in my zones to get my training done properly.

It really does, doesnt it? I typically ignore it, because I want to focus on my power/speed instead. However, i know that I NEED to follow my HR to stay in my zones to get my training done properly.
I had the annoying beep on my watch if I was out of my zone. so easy to ignore, but HR is such a good tachometer, sometimes you just have to listen to the body, especially on those recovery days.

I hit a 1rm pressing tonight. It wasn't pretty. It wasn't heavy, but it was the most I've ever put over my head. Not bad considering the last time I pressed was 12/23.

I smell a reset coming for me. I think with almost two weeks off and my kid being sick, I need to pretty much rework December.

New year

New year

I hit a 1rm pressing tonight. It wasn't pretty. It wasn't heavy, but it was the most I've ever put over my head. Not bad considering the last time I pressed was 12/23.

I smell a reset coming for me. I think with almost two weeks off and my kid being sick, I need to pretty much rework December.

Congrats.

I'm feeling more sore lately. I have been pushing more weight more often than ever. Drinking water by the gallon it seems. Not happy with bench performance since Christmas. Need to get back on track with that next week.

Congrats.

I'm feeling more sore lately. I have been pushing more weight more often than ever. Drinking water by the gallon it seems. Not happy with bench performance since Christmas. Need to get back on track with that next week.
Whenever I get stuck, I find a Deload and a renewed focus on volume gets me back pretty quickly.

Whenever I get stuck, I find a Deload and a renewed focus on volume gets me back pretty quickly.

In your opinion how many days a week do you take off, when I do crossfit I go every night, and wasn't sure if I should be taking a day off. I know when I'm lifting I go every day because I focus on different muscle groups but just something I was curious about. I've put on 10 lbs of muscle and I aiming for 5 more so I don't want to get burned out.

In your opinion how many days a week do you take off, when I do crossfit I go every night, and wasn't sure if I should be taking a day off. I know when I'm lifting I go every day because I focus on different muscle groups but just something I was curious about. I've put on 10 lbs of muscle and I aiming for 5 more so I don't want to get burned out.

I shoot for a day off in between lifting days. Long as I get my 3 days in its fine. Need to give myself time to eat, rest, and recover or basically GROW haha then getting back in and hitting it hard to start the process over. I'm also gaining and I find that optimal especially on heavy days when I'm crazy sore the next day or two, lifting again immediately would just fry your cns.

Good question. A lot goes into the answer. Specifically, goals and history.
For Example, a 21 year old male who weighs 160 only needs to go three times a week if he trains and recovers correctly.

An elite level weightlifter needs to go 5 days a week.

A intermediate level lifter may only need 3 or 4.

Schedule availability and other commitments will have a big influence on this.

Good question. A lot goes into the answer. Specifically, goals and history.
For Example, a 21 year old male who weighs 160 only needs to go three times a week if he trains and recovers correctly.

An elite level weightlifter needs to go 5 days a week.

A intermediate level lifter may only need 3 or 4.

Schedule availability and other commitments will have a big influence on this.

Thanks for the response. I guess I can give some stats. I'm 29 5'11" started between 172-175, I'm up 2 184-186, and I've and I think last time I measured I'm at 11-12% body fat (idk if that's important).

When I travel for work, I work out every night because I don't have anything else to do, as I said before I'm doing crossfit now, and I'm always tired after the workout but rarely sore the next day.

When I'm at home I lift on my own and I typically go 4-5 maybe 6 nights a week because my wife enjoys the gym and they have a day care so it's easy for us to go. I just didn't know if I was going to much and should try and structure a day off in the regime.

Thanks for the response. I guess I can give some stats. I'm 29 5'11" started between 172-175, I'm up 2 184-186, and I've and I think last time I measured I'm at 11-12% body fat (idk if that's important).

When I travel for work, I work out every night because I don't have anything else to do, as I said before I'm doing crossfit now, and I'm always tired after the workout but rarely sore the next day.

When I'm at home I lift on my own and I typically go 4-5 maybe 6 nights a week because my wife enjoys the gym and they have a day care so it's easy for us to go. I just didn't know if I was going to much and should try and structure a day off in the regime.

You're under weight and could easily flourish under the Starting Strength novice program. 3 days a week. Three lifts a day. Eat and sleep

You're under weight and could easily flourish under the Starting Strength novice program. 3 days a week. Three lifts a day. Eat and sleep
I wouldn't necessarily say he's under weight haha may not be at his goal but 5'11 185 isn't exactly skinny.

Agree with the rest of the stuff tho

Edit: I guess in terms of weightlifting that is perhaps skinny. I was thinking just normal build

I agree. Similar starting stats for me, just a bit more body fat to begin. This could be a really good program for him.

I agree. Similar starting stats for me, just a bit more body fat to begin. This could be a really good program for him.
At 10% BF he has more than enough room to grow.
I wouldn't necessarily say he's under weight haha may not be at his goal but 5'11 185 isn't exactly skinny.

Agree with the rest of the stuff tho

Boarderline ideal

So Blu I have some general questions for you. I started at 5'11 276, I am now down to 5'11 216. I want to get somewhere around 185. Should I continue on my lifts, or just do cardio. I have sort of seen mixed things. I don't want to stunt my weight loss, but I am not sure that lifting hard will do that.

Thoughts? Keep it simple for me sir haha

At 10% BF he has more than enough room to grow.

Boarderline ideal
I edited my post because I realized what you were getting at. I agree

Anyone here wearing wrist wraps for front squats? I'm getting more and more comfortable with them and adding more weight but it sort of starts to strain my wrists. I'm sure mobility could be the issue but I thought wraps could take some of that stress away

Anyone here wearing wrist wraps for front squats? I'm getting more and more comfortable with them and adding more weight but it sort of starts to strain my wrists. I'm sure mobility could be the issue but I thought wraps could take some of that stress away
Wrist wraps might make it harder to achieve the rack position. As a heads up.

So Blu I have some general questions for you. I started at 5'11 276, I am now down to 5'11 216. I want to get somewhere around 185. Should I continue on my lifts, or just do cardio. I have sort of seen mixed things. I don't want to stunt my weight loss, but I am not sure that lifting hard will do that.

Thoughts? Keep it simple for me sir haha
Well, dietary focus will help. The way your lifting won't "pack on" the pounds. Focusing on really good HIIT conditioning, rowing, sled pushes and drags, and sprints should do the trick.

Well, dietary focus will help. The way your lifting won't "pack on" the pounds. Focusing on really good HIIT conditioning, rowing, sled pushes and drags, and sprints should do the trick.

Thanks buddy, dietary focus is more than fine. My diet is definitely not the problem. I want to obviously lose about another 30 pounds, but want to start putting on muscle as well. Thanks for the advice.

Wrist wraps might make it harder to achieve the rack position. As a heads up.
I think im visualizing what you mean but to clarify you mean it will be awkward just setting up and finishing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back