Why do we care about how backs/soles of clubs look?

Soles on drivers have lots of tech so that kind of matters too. The GBB sliding weight, M1 sliding dual weights, Nike's covert cavity, just to name a few.

The thing about looks has a lot to do with confidence as well. Plus, if you're going to pay what golf clubs generally cost these days (definitely not cheap) then I think everyone deserves to have something they like the look of and something that perfoms as well.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

Why does it matter what a car looks like as long as it gets us to work on time?

It matters because we like what fits our eye. I hate an iron with a wide sole. Simple.

I look at a club before I hit it so if it doesn't look right I'm not even going to hit it, same with a car, if it looks like a$$ I'm not buying it. Why would I?

A sole is different for me I like a specific type of divot because that's what I'm used to and I enjoy a specific feel going through the turf, not one that bounces.

I tend to agree with ary at least based on what is posted all of the time. We always hear it doesn't matter if it performs.

Sadly I don't think that is reality. The good news is that in today's market performance and good looks are not mutually exclusive.

we have heard that and have seen the opposite...see j815

I completely understand it, but on the other hand, people can get completely turned off by how a club looks before they even test it out or hear reviews of it. That kind of thing happens all the time when club pictures are posted the first time. It's crazy to me. I just think that the top of the club and face of the club matters much more to me than the sole/back of the club, and performance trumps looks for me.

Don't disagree with you. I have been guilty of it, last one for me was the Aeroburner. I tend to try a lot of clubs to see what works for me, but with so many options out there people just move on from what they they don't like aesthetically regardless of if it works for them or not.

While performance trumps all for me, I still want my clubs to look bad ass. So I care to that extent, but if it improves my game, it could have Sophia the First on the sole and it wouldn't make a difference to me.

I 100% care about the looks. I think of it like cars. All cars will get you there but do you want to driving a vw bug?

To me it's a compromise. I want something that looks good but also gives me some good results. If I really liked the looks but absolutely could not hit the thing, id give it up. I try to find that happy medium.

To me it's a compromise. I want something that looks good but also gives me some good results. If I really liked the looks but absolutely could not hit the thing, id give it up. I try to find that happy medium.
Agree with this. I love blades but I suck too much, and most SGI irons don't look good to me but are super forgiving and help my game. I find somewhere in between based on looks I enjoy and good results. Luckily, us golfers are spoilt for choice so we should be able to find something that works!

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

I don't really care about the look of the sole.

There's over 100 posts in a thread that was started based on 1 picture of the sole of a club that hasn't even made it to retail. I understand why that is, and it's because it's "different", but here's my question: why do we even care what the backs of irons/wedges or the soles of drivers/FWs/hybrids look like? We're not going to be looking at that part of the club when we're actually hitting the ball at all, but somehow, people get all wrapped up into how the bottom or back of a club looks instead of how it looks in the address position. A driver could have neon track lighting on the sole of it and I wouldn't care as long as the look of the top of the club was pleasing to me at address and the club performed well. So what does everyone else think?

Visible technology is discussion worthy.

But then again, why do we care what our cars look like?

There's no one answer to this.

And it obviously matters, as the OEMs invest in people to get a proper look.

For some it's a color combination they like, or the styling "says" something about them, or reflects how they see themselves as a person or as a golfer.

We all like to have nice looking things, right? Clubs have looks and that's how our society is now, which is crazy to a degree. With that said, if I can have a nice looking club that also performs, that's a bonus. SO FAR, I've not left a club out of my bag because of it's name or look...so far.

Back