JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
You are playing at a nice place as a guest and you get a caddie/caddy. He is fun, energetic and always keeps your clubs clean, finds your ball and makes the round more enjoyable. What is the tip?

This thread will be an educational experience for me. I've never played with a caddie.

If it's a fancy spot and the service was great I might drop 40 to 50. Figure that's a good wage for 4+ hrs of good work?

I ask the regular rate before the round and pay that amount. At Bandon that's $100. At my buddy's club that's @$50 - $60.

Depends if he is carrying bags or fore caddying. If hes carrying my bag its $80 or so, $40 for a forecaddie

I have no idea. I guess 25-30% of the caddy fee? Assuming I'm giving a solid but not amazing caddy 15-20%.

I've had a caddy precisely once, and I was 15.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

At the ocean course in kiawah the regular rate is at least $100.

Threads like this remind me that I'm a cheap greedy bastard.

I had my first experience playing with a caddie last year at the Philadelphia Cricket Club. It was AWESOME! The caddies we had double bagged the round, meaning that each caddie carried 2 bags. We each threw in $75 if I remember correctly. We had a great day and the caddies were definitely a huge part of it! Pay those caddies people!

I ask the regular rate before the round and pay that amount. At Bandon that's $100. At my buddy's club that's @$50 - $60.

Do you tip on top of that, or just pay the rate?

On the few times I have been fortunate enough to play in a situation like that, I have asked prior to getting there (either the member I will be a guest of or phoning the staff). I have given $50 on the low side and $75 on the high side.

JM

I've never had a caddie, I'd have no idea what to do in that situation.

No experience with a caddy so Im interested in what people have done in the past

I'll usually do $100 on top of the fee if the guy is on his game and has a good attitude.

If they carry the bag normally $100, forecaddie $50-$75.

I had my first experience playing with a caddie last year at the Philadelphia Cricket Club. It was AWESOME! The caddies we had double bagged the round, meaning that each caddie carried 2 bags. We each threw in $75 if I remember correctly. We had a great day and the caddies were definitely a huge part of it! Pay those caddies people!

OBD.....he was worth double that.

Do you tip on top of that, or just pay the rate?
I have always just paid that amount. The language used in the answer is always soft. At my friend's club it's usually something like "our members typically give X amount." At Bandon they say it's a matter between you and the caddy, most people pay between $80-$120. It's never clear if that is a fee, a tip, a fee + tip so I just pay that amount.

I have a question that goes with this as I have never had a caddy or a forecaddy. I'm like Cookie and I guess really cheap. Does a Caddy in these instances get more then 1 round in or get paid seperatly by the club? It just seems like with the numbers being put out there it could be a pretty good gig if you get to go out atleast twice a day. On the origional question if I was playing a place like that it would be splurging anyway so I would pay the standard rate liek TK4 stated.

I'm interested to see what people say as I'll be golfing in Brandon with a friend next weekend that gives me a caddie and I've never experienced it, so far it seems anywhere between $50-$100

I have a question that goes with this as I have never had a caddy or a forecaddy. I'm like Cookie and I guess really cheap. Does a Caddy in these instances get more then 1 round in or get paid seperatly by the club? It just seems like with the numbers being put out there it could be a pretty good gig if you get to go out atleast twice a day. On the origional question if I was playing a place like that it would be splurging anyway so I would pay the standard rate liek TK4 stated.
In my experience they are not employees; whatever you pay them is their total monetary compensation.

To make real money they need to double bag and loop twice a day. That's a younger man's game.

I've never used a caddy before, looks like maybe that $50-$100 range covers most, I would have thought some of those would be related to the price of a round, but I can understand based on the course, the expectation might change.

I've never had a caddie.

If I'm ever lucky enough to have a caddie, I'm peeling off a hundo without even thinking about it.

I've only been at one course that had them available, but didn't partake. I'd say $50 if it was worthwhile.

When I played Oak Hill I believe their rate that they get right away was $50 this is speaking for guests. I had a $50 I was going to give him and my instructor was going to give him $50 but he didn't accept which was awesome and we argued jokingly about it for a bit. But I thought $50 was probably on the low end for a place like that. Maybe that's why he turned it down lol.

Back