Callaway Apex CF 16 Irons Review Thread

Finally broke down and tested a 7 iron against my current gamer (Adams XTD). To my surprise, these played as basically the same club for me. Similar distance and dispersion - both very good! I hit my irons well. One thing I did notice is that the weight of the CF16s did not jive with my swing nearly as well as the XTDs do. It's something I could get used to, but there would be an adjustment period.

Bottom line, I like them and would recommend anyone to try it. But the results weren't there for me to justify any change.

aggggghhhhh, the perfect set for sure. But of course I bought the APEX pros when they were released. Why Callaway do you do this cruel stuff to us?

Now I have to figure out how to justify selling irons that are only a couple of months old and buy another set with the same irons in it, very troubling for a club junkie.

Hope you guys saw this. New Apex Combo sets are now available!

Best of both worlds.

http://bit.ly/ApexCombo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Might be the one time I'm glad that something is RH only.........don't even have to think about this combo set at all! LOL

Times like this I wish I was a lefty

Having some fun with the cf16 today on a tight little track called Rio Pinar. Shot makers course with all the little dog legs. Still trying to figure out the 8-PW. The distances are not on par with the mid and long irons. But not a deal breaker by any stretch.

Having some fun with the cf16 today on a tight little track called Rio Pinar. Shot makers course with all the little dog legs. Still trying to figure out the 8-PW. The distances are not on par with the mid and long irons. But not a deal breaker by any stretch.
Are they going further than expected and if so how much compared to the long irons?

is 7i where the cup face where the cup face starts?

Interesting, I gotta say, thats the first I've heard of that. Hope you get it all figured out.

No they are on par with my 745s. I have a big gap between my 8 and 7.
good to know

Oh I'll get it right one way or another

Hahaha, BEAST THEM INTO SUBMISSION PANDA!

Haven't played that track in 5 years or so. Tough, but an awesome place, especially when it's in good shape.

Hahaha, BEAST THEM INTO SUBMISSION PANDA!
Since Beastmode retired I'll have to do that but crazypanda mode
Haven't played that track in 5 years or so. Tough, but an awesome place, especially when it's in good shape.

It's in winter shape. We need to play this together. Dirt cheap for winter golf. Paired up with the icelanders and they could be nicer but very quiet.

Since Beastmode retired I'll have to do that but crazypanda mode

It's in winter shape. We need to play this together. Dirt cheap for winter golf. Paired up with the icelanders and they could be nicer but very quiet.

Just say when friend.

Its a great place to test irons and fantastic for these clubs.
I dont have the gap, but I have still yet to find a set that offers more in terms of forgiveness/performance/looks/feel

I dont have the gap, but I have still yet to find a set that offers more in terms of forgiveness/performance/looks/feel

For the overall package, including the aesthetic, these are insanely good. Well rounded is an understatement IMO.

These are extremely forgiving. I just need to figure out my gaps in scoring irons is all. As far as looks, I don't even give them a second thought when I setup to the ball. Very pleasing to the eye from the long to the short. And I have to say these might be the easiest clubs to turn over. I've over cooked a few thinking I need more left than I did.

The sound is crisp and clean, nice clicks off the face. As well as good feed back on off center strikes. I think the more I play the more these will become second nature.

Question, why didn't they put Cup face in the shorter irons?

I think I am going to have to give these a go. Everyone is just raving about them.

one of the few around here i've never played. always assumed it was an old fogey course.

Question, why didn't they put Cup face in the shorter irons?

from reading all the Callaway literature about these it seems testing showed the cup face added forgiveness and distance they were looking for in the mid/long irons while they were able to rely on loft for forgiveness in the shorter irons and have more consistent distance without the cup face.

For those playing these, are the cup face irons pretty consistent distance with flush hits? I understand they are very forgiving on mishits. Just worried the distances might be on and off with the cup face?

Sure are.

Well, I screwed up and selected the midsize +1 instead of standard +1 grips and didn't spot it until now. Since they were already being built, I had to cancel and reorder. Oh well. I'll get them soon enough.

For those playing these, are the cup face irons pretty consistent distance with flush hits? I understand they are very forgiving on mishits. Just worried the distances might be on and off with the cup face?

I have not noticed any "hot spots." Didn't notice them on the XR Pros either though

I have not noticed any "hot spots." Didn't notice them on the XR Pros either though

Me neither. Watched a robot hit the XR Pro for a bunch of balls all over the face and there was not any deviation. Pretty cool to see.

Me neither. Watched a robot hit the XR Pro for a bunch of balls all over the face and there was not any deviation. Pretty cool to see.

That is awesome. The cup face is the real deal in my experience

Back