Bob Bettinardi vs. Scotty Cameron - Chime in

Status
Not open for further replies.

TC

Keg Thrower
Reaction score
Handicap
No other club in the bag holds a more personal attachment than the putter. putter fans hold their thoughts and values behind the putter they game, the shape of putter they play, and more often than not, the name on the putter itself is the most driving force.

THP has realy opened my eyes to a lot of different putters, designers, and how the market receives them. both bob bettinardi and scotty cameron are considered two of the very best at what they do, there's no denying that.

So let me pose this question: if you had to choose just one guy to create YOUR putter, who would it be and why would it be him?

Please, let's leave this one to discuss ONLY these two master craftsmen, your thoughts on their designs, your thoughts on their marketing techniques, your thoughts on their finished products.

chime in!

Can I get a write in vote for Kia Ma?
No other club in the bag holds a more personal attachment than the putter. putter fans hold their thoughts and values behind the putter they game, the shape of putter they play, and more often than not, the name on the putter itself is the most driving force.

THP has realy opened my eyes to a lot of different putters, designers, and how the market receives them. both bob bettinardi and scotty cameron are considered two of the very best at what they do, there's no denying that.

So let me pose this question: if you had to choose just one guy to create YOUR putter, who would it be and why would it be him?

Please, let's leave this one to discuss ONLY these two master craftsmen, your thoughts on their designs, your thoughts on their marketing techniques, your thoughts on their finished products.

chime in!

My heart would tell me to go with Bob, but my head would say to go with Scotty if I were to get a straight gamer because I have more experience with them.

Bob's putters are just gorgeous and I feel that he is more accessible than Scotty. With a Betty, you will get a putter that is more unique than what you find with the typical golfer who just wants to play a Scotty.

I wish that the putter that just speaks to me was something other than a Scotty, but that is what I roll the best.

I would have to get Bob to create my masterpiece. I think that it would truly be something special because so many people are gaming the Cameron. Thats where I would like to say that SC has done a much better job of advertising. You dont see a whole lot of Bettinardi putters out there.

I haven't really seen much SC custom work, though I've rolled some of his off-the-rack putters. They were nice looking, but not really the style of putter I use.

I have seen the BB proto that is going to be given away and Coughlin's thread on the fitting studio, but never actually rolled one. BB's putters are freaking beautiful in pictures.

If I was going to blindly order one today, I would probably end up going Bettinardi based on what I've seen here. I'd like to see some SC custom work, though. I'm sure he can turn out some nice stuff too.

I wish that the putter that just speaks to me was something other than a Scotty, but that is what I roll the best.

Seth, you have to let that go man. There's nothing wrong with loving your Scotty. It's not like your snobby about it (which is why some people get turned off to the brand). He makes good stuff and it works for you. Enjoy it!

I think that most of SC's lines look a lot alike, including what custom work I've seen. Using only Bob's (like I'm on first name basis with him or something) proto putter being given away at the outing as a reference, it looks completely different from his other lines. Definitely an aura or uniqueness. I would want a putter that someone comes up to me and asks 'what's that putter?' vs. receognizing the familiarity of it and saying 'I bet that's a X'
care to elaborate?

figured i might as well throw my opinion out there. if i were to have one of these talented gentlemen build a putter for me, i would go with bettinardi. mostly b/c of something that setho touched on, availability. and after reading the experience that another forum member had with his fitting in illinois, it just seems to be something that is truly geared towards someone looking for the most complete fitting.

i must also admit that i am a bit biased b/c i love heel shafted putters and the studio stock 4 is something that appeals to me in a massive, massive way.

While I don't think you can go wrong with either putter maker, I would lean towards Scotty. Though he does copy designs, I feel he perfects those designs. Bob does a great job with his putters and for the most part I like most of his designs but I always envision Phil using his old betti and man he sucked putting with that thing. So the reason I would say Scotty is because out of non insert putters no other putter wins likes his and yes there are several reasons why people use his putters, money being one of them, there has to be some performance for people to keep winning with them. I see Brandon De Jonge uses the Kombi S like I do and his putting stats have went through the roof this year, so regardless who makes a putter I think it is utmost important to find a style you like and have the putter built to give you the best chance to hole putts. And for me Scotty Cameron does the best job of that for the amateur and Pro out of these two builders.

I would probably go with Bob. While I game a Newport Beach 1.5 myself, I will always have my eye on a number of Bob's putters and hopefully one day I'll have one. I think I'm just a sucker for the honeycomb milling on the face, I just love it.

Both brands of putters are great IMO. I haven't been able to hit a true custom BB or SC. I can only go off what I have rolled in the stores. I like the feel of the SC. Just from what I've hit. From just that experience alone I would go with SC. But again, I haven't hit a true custom BB and I would never pass up the opportunity to try the process.

I get a more grassroots marketing feel from BB. Not to say that's what it is but just what I feel. SC to me is the opposite. Just my thoughts.

View attachment 1417View attachment 1418

Bettinardi all the way. They can explain why their product was a better selection for me. They know a lot about Scotty and all the other putter makers out there. The Made In The USA got to me emotionally. Did not expect it to, but it did. This is an American craftsman made product that is not only a boutique item, it was fit to my swing and size.

I do not readily drink the Kool Aid and rarely recommend Kool Aid to others, but if you are serious about a high end putter and want one that fits your game, Bettinardi all the way. Getting fit at Bettinardi is like getting fit for a car at Mazzarati. Bettinardi wanted to sell me a putter I liked and works for me.

So I have played 4 rounds with my SS 4. How as it performed? The first 1 round was kind of social, business golf. I shot 99 and had 44 putts. Hit a lot of fairways, a couple of 300 yard + drives and greens in regulation but had 44 putts. Typical for me to 3 putt after a long drive. Ego!

Next 2 rounds 36 & 38 putts.

Yesterday i shot my lifetime low round of 75. 31 putts. A lot of long putts that wound up as tap ins. 2, 15 + footers. 1 65 footer for birdie over a hump on the green that I was just trying to lag to. Last hole, I looked at my scorecard on 18 tee and it said 71! Hit a 280 yard drive to the middle, pitched to within 6 feet, and rolled the birdie putt to 2 inches to the right of the cup for parr.

BTW, walking into the clubhouse I got bumped and cut my left index finger wide open. Could not stop the bleeding. The club offered a bandaid but I did not want to pull a glove off and on all day over it so I used and old glove and swung easier. Ruined the glove! Saved the round!

GREAT putter! Great fitting! Thanks again to Glenn at Bettinardi for fitting me and giving me a putting lesson.

I would have to go with Bettinardi. I have very limited experience with both putters, so my decision is based primarily on the fact that BB is based in Chicagoland. So I need to give him a little Chicago love. Also, I think his putters look better.

Scotty. but only cuz I had to choose between those two.

I'd go with Bettinardi any day of the week! I gotta support a fellow Illinois boy. I have nothing against Scotty or Titleist, I just really like the simplicity and the cool face milling Bettinardi offers.

I'm getting more and more interested about Bettinardi putters... gonna find one locally to test out... I've tried the SC and liked the older version than the new (California)...

I would have to pick Bettinardi. Just looking at the workmanship on the two putters and the overall design I like the Bettinardi's better.

I own a mizuno bettinardi putter and received a Scotty putter as a graduation gift so I had a little roll off after I exchanged the putter (received a 35 and like to play a 34). While I loved the all black bettinardi, the Scotty felt better to me. Both performed well for me on the course but the Scotty just a bit more. I'd still love to go through a custom fitting and get a putter through that route.

I had a center shafted SC a few years back and really liked it. Not sure why I got rid of it unless I was blaming the putter instead of my putting stroke. Since I have not tried "Bob's" putters, I would have to go with the SC.

Mizuno Bettinardi, NOTHING like the current putters.

I own a mizuno bettinardi putter and received a Scotty putter as a graduation gift so I had a little roll off after I exchanged the putter (received a 35 and like to play a 34). While I loved the all black bettinardi, the Scotty felt better to me. Both performed well for me on the course but the Scotty just a bit more. I'd still love to go through a custom fitting and get a putter through that route.

This is not even a fair fight to be honest. A custom Bettinardi is just an awesome sight to behold. His finishes are far better than Scotty's. The feel off the putter face is IMO comparable with a slight edge to Betti. Of course for a true custom job you are spending a fortune which should be considered. All in all if I had to choose between these two I would go Betti. But if I could choose any I would definitely go.......

Mizuno Bettinardi, NOTHING like the current putters.

I realize that but he put his name to it and since both that putter and my current Scotty are "off the rack" putters, that is my frame of reference and comparison between the two.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back