TaylorMade M2 Driver Review Thread

I'm interested in the Tensei shaft in the M2 but am confused about TM's tipping practices. Supposedly, all shafts are tipped 1-inch as standard so if you have a stock shaft tipped .5 inch the shaft will really be tipped 1.5" which definitely affects the way it will play. On TM's custom site, you can have shafts softened 1" so basically installed untipped into the adapter.
This is exactly what I've been told as well. I decided to trust then and let them tip my Hzrdus the standard 1", and I don't regret it.

12/14 FW's with it today and plenty of distance. This is one part of my game I'm completely confident in right now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just did a quick head to head against my K15 9.5 stock stiff shaft vs a 10.5 M2 with Aldila Rogue Silver 70 (s). Interesting when considering how little practice or swing time I've had this winter. I kept the best 6 out of 10 and the M2 was >17 yards longer carry on only on 3-4 yards more ball speed but I was seeing 16* launch with 1900 spin vs 15* launch 2700 spin with the Ping. Similar dispersion (neither was good!)

Hit these two on 15 and 17. Needless to say I'm a fan right now.

9d8ccbf0c0499d6f33da3fb0d8e793be.jpg

6aa90ccb40d34d490ea7ab29db888405.jpg

Hit the driving range today. I'm starting to relax a little more and I'm really starting to get som better hits. Nice and solid, lower spin. I just have to remember to keep my hands and shoulders soft and stop restricting my swing. Playing 18 tomorrow. Looking forward to hitting a bunch of fairways.

Do you know with the shaft change and tipping if it was swing weighted?

Forgot to answer this. Yes, it was.

Forgot to answer this. Yes, it was.

From TaylorMade? Based on earlier in the thread I was under the impression they did not do this.

So I got to take a few swings with this today and I must say I'm impressed.

Sound was great, a little muted with a nice crack, felt good with the stock shaft and was seeing pretty solid numbers. I don't remember them all but low 2000s spin and probably around 14° of launch. Carry was around 250 or so. I also really enjoyed how this setup to the ball and it felt really good in hand.

I'll be back again to hit it and hopefully with some warm up next time.

From TaylorMade? Based on earlier in the thread I was under the impression they did not do this.

Yep. According to the guy I ordered from it was an accepted request.

Yep. According to the guy I ordered from it was an accepted request.

I think I am getting confused. You got it from a guy 2nd hand? Or it was ordered directly from TaylorMade Golf with a different shaft and was swing weighted correctly?

If the latter, I wonder why Army Golf and others have struggled with it? Glad its working for you.

Ordered directly from TaylorMade from a friend with an account.

Wasnt able to get out for a full round today, but some range time with the M2 was in order.

First things first, for me, holding a driver in hand tells me immedaitely if I BELIEVE it is something that I will work for my game. Holding the M2 and swinging it, even before I tee'd a ball up, it felt as if it was one I would like. The weight in hand and during the swing is a weight that I really like. Lighter than some others I have gamed more recently, but right in my wheelhouse as to what I prefer in a driver.

Again, the crown design is one I am a huge fan of. There is a lot going on, but still subtle when you setup at address. The white/black contrast is eye pleasing, and for me, I like that it helps me get square to target.

I took a couple swings with my current driver to guage my swing, and was seeing typical results that I get out of it. The M2 has a slightly smaller face (top to bottom) than my current gamer, and is overall a bit more compact it seems, but this was not something that was overly noticeable for me, but something that I did take notice of when switching to the M2.

My driver swing was clicking, and my results off teeing the M2 on the range were solid. Not a super big left/right again that I experience with the SLDR, but a nice tight fade starting just left of center and coming back over to the right a bit. Exactly the shot shape that I depend on for my game. What I did notice was my launch being noticeably higher than other TM drivers I have gamed in the past, as well as a bit higher than my current driver. Ball seemed to get up quickly, and just keep rising. Being that this is a 10.5* head, I was actually quite surprised at the height I was seeing, and I was digging it.

Center of the face shots were solid for me. Great distance, predictable ball flight. Didnt have much for a miss today, a few out off the toe (my typical miss with the driver), but did not see results that were catastrophic. With my past few TM drivers, if I missed off center, it was horrid. The M2 seemed significantly more forgiving lateral on the face, in this case toward the toe.

Im stoked to get this one out on the course. Hard to gauge distance on the range some times, but if the M2 gives me the predictable shots that I have gotten used to off the tee, I think it will be a solid choice for me.

Me too man, numbers aside, I need to think that a driver will work for me- or it won't. I think this is huge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think I am getting confused. You got it from a guy 2nd hand? Or it was ordered directly from TaylorMade Golf with a different shaft and was swing weighted correctly?

If the latter, I wonder why Army Golf and others have struggled with it? Glad its working for you.
That confuses me too, and kinda upsets me. I requested it to be swing weighted, offered to pay extra for it, and was still told Taylormade won't do it.

With so many great options on the market place right now, a company offering custom options better be able to do it correctly, or they will get left in the dust. I say this not speaking of this company, but any. Offering dozens of shafts is meaningless if you are not going to do it properly. You are going to make the driver less successful and the shaft company look poorly.

That confuses me too, and kinda upsets me. I requested it to be swing weighted, offered to pay extra for it, and was still told Taylormade won't do it.
Same here. I was told the only way to get the same swingweight with a heavier shaft was to shorten the length of the shaft. The TM rep said that adjusting swingweight wasn't a custom option TM offers.

First round with the M2 in the books and it performed really well for me. 9 Fwys hit, but even the misses were small and didn't punish me at all. I didn't have a GPS to measure anything but I carried a few hazards at 250 with a fade more than once.

I am having the most success setting up the left side and letting it rip. A nice mid/high fade was on repeat.

With so many great options on the market place right now, a company offering custom options better be able to do it correctly, or they will get left in the dust. I say this not speaking of this company, but any. Offering dozens of shafts is meaningless if you are not going to do it properly. You are going to make the driver less successful and the shaft company look poorly.
This echos my sentiments EXACTLY.

I'm going to be honest, I'm finding this driver head to be quite fun.

I really can't wait to get it on course tomorrow.

I really can't wait to get it on course tomorrow.
Same. I'm taking it and my gbb out for a little fun on my own, without having to coach while I'm out there.

You've gamed the GBB and now the m2. Any pros or cons for you personally?

This echos my sentiments EXACTLY.

I want to thank fupresti for going to check the swing weight on his M2 he ordered from TaylorMade. It was not D3, like the standard setup, it was D0. I just dont understand it. Too many great options out there.

You've gamed the GBB and now the m2. Any pros or cons for you personally?
GBB is a better driver for me imo, but its also fit to me by one of the best in the business. This isn't, imo, as forgiving, but it offers a ton of what I've wanted to see from TM. Its the first driver they have released in years I can say that about and the sound is amazing.

The M2 seems to be great but the M1 just gives me too many options!

I want to thank fupresti for going to check the swing weight on his M2 he ordered from TaylorMade. It was not D3, like the standard setup, it was D0. I just dont understand it. Too many great options out there.

I have had that issue with multiple companies over the past year. Seems you custom order a shaft and they just throw it in and dont check anything else. I recently sold a set of irons I loved the look of but they were built so far off spec by the factory it left a bad taste in my mouth and I wanted nothing to do with them before I even hit them. Performance matters but the service outside of the course is HUGE to me

Back