Ben Hogan Golf - Can they survive?

ddec

I have many leather-bound books
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
The Driver
In the latest episode of The Dean Has Spoken, JB and I talked about the new Ben Hogan Golf Company. The topic was if they will be able to survive long term. This year they are introducing some new products to go along with what they brought to market in 2015, with the PTx irons and VKTR hybrid.

Let's hear from THPers, what are your thoughts on this? One year after coming to market with the Ft. Worth irons, do you think they can overcome some obstacles to make it a successful venture long term?

My answer could be found by listening to the latest podcast here http://www.thehackersparadise.com/the-dean-has-spoken-volume-4-thp-radio

A very interesting question, I think thy'll have to put out some more products that appeal to more of the masses than what they have so far.

A very interesting question, I think thy'll have to put out some more products that appeal to more of the masses than what they have so far.

That is an interesting thought. By doing so, don't they end up having to go directly up against the giants of the industry and market against them? Then add that it kind of goes against their philosophy (as we mentioned on the podcast) in irons.

I've got the same question as Dean - what's the definition of "long term" here? I think they've got a chance - the equipment has been reviewed well so far, and they'll have a line that is better for the everyday golfer available soon. But, even then, is the best case for them that they're someone like Scratch where they're around for a while as somewhat of a boutique brand and fade away? I don't know - I think the Hogan name gives them a little more runway there, and will intrigue people enough to actually put swings on the clubs, which is the most important. The good news here is that I've seen the Ft. Worth irons in at least one store. And like JB said, the folks who are going to have the pull towards the Hogan name are the types of golfers who are spending money right now.

So, in short - I'm optimistic for them, but I think they stay in that smaller/boutique niche.

Depends on what the goal is and what's considered successful to them. If it's just to maintain themselves, sure, I think they have a good product with a well known name. Not sure how much more they can do though growth wise.

Depends on what the goal is and what's considered successful to them. If it's just to maintain themselves, sure, I think they have a good product with a well known name. Not sure how much more they can do though growth wise.

Successful like any business would be profitable.

Hello - I think its tough since they have only released 1 iron in 15 months. They must be burring through cash.
Also their inventory position must be huge having to carry every loft in 2 ranges.
I hope they make it but its a tough one.

Hello - I think its tough since they have only released 1 iron in 15 months. They must be burring through cash.
Also their inventory position must be huge having to carry every loft in 2 ranges.
I hope they make it but its a tough one.

Although pre-orders for 2nd iron are out now with new club hitting next month
And the hybrid hitting about the same time.

Successful like any business would be profitable.

Well if you're defining it as you did in the podcast, meaning them becoming a full golf company and not just an iron company, then no...I don't see them doing much else with it other than being a boutique iron brand.

That is an interesting thought. By doing so, don't they end up having to go directly up against the giants of the industry and market against them? Then add that it kind of goes against their philosophy (as we mentioned on the podcast) in irons.

I hear ya. And I understand both points. But I wonder if some of these smaller companies fail or succeed based on how large their perspective customer base is.

Depends on their expectations. I think there is plenty of room for "niche" OEMs who make great products with good margins that develop a strong brand name. The issue I feel is the name "Ben Hogan" is lost on the under-30 crowd so do they accept this and focus on the irons and hybrids and let the bigger guys chase distance?

I hear ya. And I understand both points. But I wonder if some of these smaller companies fail or succeed based on how large their perspective customer base is.

Not sure. However if you tell everybody that using larger clubs is the wrong move, coming out with larger clubs seems counter productive.

I'm honestly unsure. They have a few solid offerings by the sounds of it. I think their marketing works well with their target audience in wedges, irons, and hybrids...and could possibly extent to fairway woods. Their marketing will not work with drivers IMO as they refuse (for now) to tout distance gains yada yada yada.

Can they get exposure on tour like PXG has done? I think they could do something with putters and the Hogan name as well.

They have a demographic with the older Hogan fans but how long will that remain around and is it enough for long term success?

Well if you're defining it as you did in the podcast, meaning them becoming a full golf company and not just an iron company, then no...I don't see them doing much else with it other than being a boutique iron brand.

They will have everything.

I'm honestly unsure. They have a few solid offerings by the sounds of it. I think their marketing works well with their target audience in wedges, irons, and hybrids...and could possibly extent to fairway woods. Their marketing will not work with drivers IMO as they refuse (for now) to tout distance gains yada yada yada.

Can they get exposure on tour like PXG has done? I think they could do something with putters and the Hogan name as well.

They have a demographic with the older Hogan fans but how long will that remain around and is it enough for long term success?

Here is an interesting question then. Do to their marketing about accuracy over distance, and the constant complaints on social media about marketing distance gains, wouldnt a driver marketed as more accurate be well received? At least by their current audience?

Here is an interesting question then. Do to their marketing about accuracy over distance, and the constant complaints on social media about marketing distance gains, wouldnt a driver marketed as more accurate be well received? At least by their current audience?

I would hope it would. I think many care about distance with driver but then not as concerned with it in other clubs. I don't care if my 140 club is 9i or 7i....distances don't matter with irons (to me).

Question with driver....at what cost? 240 with some dispersion (example) or 210 down the pipe every time. How many are willing to give up that 30 yards? I don't know.

I think they can survive and do well if they try to market as hard as they try to produce a quality product. OEM marketing (outside of a couple that get it right) is something that isn't done by a lot of companies and that blows my mind. In just 140 characters and a send button you can reach millions of consumers. Get the product info out there. Tell us why we should be buying your clubs. Use the name and the iconic logo and get everyone's attention. The worst thing they can do is just put out equipment and be silent about it

I was vaguely aware that they were still even making clubs so the "average" golfer probably doesn't either. They could survive in the boutique space but that's probably the extent of it.

Why can't we have both?! #HolyGrail

I would hope it would. I think many care about distance with driver but then not as concerned with it in other clubs. I don't care if my 140 club is 9i or 7i....distances don't matter with irons (to me).

Question with driver....at what cost? 240 with some dispersion (example) or 210 down the pipe every time. How many are willing to give up that 30 yards? I don't know.

You really dont have any confidence improved from hitting like a 5 iron or a 7 iron into a green?

Why can't we have both?! #HolyGrail

We can...And do. I am just speaking in terms of marketing.

Not sure. However if you tell everybody that using larger clubs is the wrong move, coming out with larger clubs seems counter productive.
I know what you mean, I love seeing the Hogan brand, as they were the first club set for me, and maybe the new PTx will perform better for me, but after trying the last set of Ft Worth, there's no way they were even an option for me.

Depends on their expectations. I think there is plenty of room for "niche" OEMs who make great products with good margins that develop a strong brand name. The issue I feel is the name "Ben Hogan" is lost on the under-30 crowd so do they accept this and focus on the irons and hybrids and let the bigger guys chase distance?

This is where my head went immediately. I think there is a market for really attractive, traditional looking clubs with a lot of hidden tech. I certainly gravitate toward that type of product.

You really dont have any confidence improved from hitting like a 5 iron or a 7 iron into a green?

Maybe a little....but definitely not much. I have no qualms grabbing a 5h and playing it 165. And definitely not enough of a confidence "boost" to make me chase yardage...especially at the cost of accuracy.

I have no distance gains with Apex over anything I've tried in the past....certainly not going to grab something that adds 10-15 yards at cost of dispersion. But I'm also one that strangely enough haven't been able to consistently hit 7i more than 150....and I've tried a bunch that basically promised distance including BB.

The Ben Hogan name is legend for golf and their irons are just as legendary, but they've not been as relevant lately. That's a hard sell in this day and time, with the mentality that the world has now, with the "What have you done for me lately" attitude. Hogan Golf needs to come to the table with a product that not only good (which I think they have) but marketed played by someone "with a name." Could you imagine if Jordan Spieth played Hogan blades? I think if they can do that, they'll get closer to surviving.

My answer to the question, at this point, is "Maybe". It's still really early for them, only their 2nd and 3rd product release (I'm combining the FTW irons and wedges), and they are a small company (personally, I think "boutique" is the right way to describe them, right now). Expectations have to be a bit different for them than it would be for a larger OEM. Couple others pointed out the importance of marketing, and as a small company, they need to find a way to do so, without breaking the bank.

In the end, they must: 1) Make really good products and 2) Get their current target audience to buy. If the don't do these 2 things, then forget about growth, or gaining traction with an expanded market. It's a tough industry as it is, so they better be able to notch wins with their current targets, and then (if they want to) try and establish some growth from there.

I will be very curious to hear/see how their pre-release of the PTX irons goes in the next few months. Could determine what direction they are headed.

Back