2016 Fitness and Workout Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just picked up a spud deadlifting belt off the bay for $36 shipped. Excited to try it out and see if it helps my deads.

You are cruel. That sounds so good.
It was well needed, I need to make it more frequent. Foam roller is nice but it just can't compete haha

Just picked up a spud deadlifting belt off the bay for $36 shipped. Excited to try it out and see if it helps my deads.
Spud Belts are blugold approved. it will help.

4c746e740d516a2046f907aaaea8c79f.jpg

I have been sooooo lazy....

ran 1.5 miles in 11:44 today and wanted to quit several times.

Did a max on the bench this weekend for the first time. I ended up getting 170 for 1, it's obviously nothing crazy but hey I'm honest so it is what it is. Its a ton heavier than where I was when I started so progress is good. I want to get a belt and do it again.

I cancelled my damn belt order with inzer because I didn't realize ordering a certain color would take so long. Think I'll just get black and call it good.

Did a max on the bench this weekend for the first time. I ended up getting 170 for 1, it's obviously nothing crazy but hey I'm honest so it is what it is. Its a ton heavier than where I was when I started so progress is good. I want to get a belt and do it again.

I cancelled my damn belt order with inzer because I didn't realize ordering a certain color would take so long. Think I'll just get black and call it good.
Don't worry about how crazy it is and be damn proud to have lifted heavier weights than you lifted before.

My brother ordered a best belt and is waiting 5-7 weeks... Yikes! Makes me even more appreciative for Milk Man sending me this awesome belt that has already served me so well.

Don't worry about how crazy it is and be damn proud to have lifted heavier weights than you lifted before.

My brother ordered a best belt and is waiting 5-7 weeks... Yikes! Makes me even more appreciative for Milk Man sending me this awesome belt that has already served me so well.
Oh no doubt I definitely am, just kinda thinking out loud haha lots of people seem to bs their numbers which is crazy to me. Luckily that's no one on here and I love that. This isnt bodybuilding.com hahaha what a circus.

Anyhoo yeah thats almost exactly what my wait time was going to be once my order finally went through, just too long for a color no one will see but me and the dog haha. I really like the lever belts tho

Had a great day in the gym tonight with squats, bench and deads. My brother was late, so I worked with a TUBOW (Foam Roller actually) to get a feel for proper form, and used that for my warmups and my first 3 reps of my work set before I was too gassed and had to revert to my "old" form for the rest of the set, then did the next 2 sets with my existing form. I figure I'll keep working on the proper form and get the muscles built up before I'll be able to switch whole hog. Bench went really well and felt as strong as I ever have. I hit 190 3x5, which I had to deload from that weight last time. One thing I changed, which I don't know if it actually helped or was just mental, but rolled my lips in and really felt like I pressed against them instead of just trying to keep my mouth closed like normal; felt much more braced, but I have no idea why. Deads went well; my back was a little sore from the squats, so I decided to have a light day and match my brothers' weights, and worked up to 335, which I was able to do with no straps. I tried rolling the bar to get setup and that seemed to help, again not sure if actually helped or mental, but it felt like I was in a better position and didn't strain my back like I have been feeling. Is the roll allowed or is that cheating?

Regardless, I feel powerful tonight, and that's a damn good feeling!

2016 Fitness and Workout Thread

Had a great night at the gym. Decided to go light this week to see how body is going to react going into golf season. I had Back tonight and went 3x12

Started with deads went with 205(50ish% of max) first to sets went great and I got 20 reps on the 3rd set.

Also did BB rows, Lat pull downs, DB rows, hanging knee raises, elbow tap planks, high2low wood-chops, low2high wood-chops.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had a great day in the gym tonight with squats, bench and deads. My brother was late, so I worked with a TUBOW (Foam Roller actually) to get a feel for proper form, and used that for my warmups and my first 3 reps of my work set before I was too gassed and had to revert to my "old" form for the rest of the set, then did the next 2 sets with my existing form. I figure I'll keep working on the proper form and get the muscles built up before I'll be able to switch whole hog. Bench went really well and felt as strong as I ever have. I hit 190 3x5, which I had to deload from that weight last time. One thing I changed, which I don't know if it actually helped or was just mental, but rolled my lips in and really felt like I pressed against them instead of just trying to keep my mouth closed like normal; felt much more braced, but I have no idea why. Deads went well; my back was a little sore from the squats, so I decided to have a light day and match my brothers' weights, and worked up to 335, which I was able to do with no straps. I tried rolling the bar to get setup and that seemed to help, again not sure if actually helped or mental, but it felt like I was in a better position and didn't strain my back like I have been feeling. Is the roll allowed or is that cheating?

Regardless, I feel powerful tonight, and that's a damn good feeling!
Keep working with the TUBOW. Engrain that feeling. Shove your knees the eff out and keep them there.

On the bench, if it works, it works. No reason not to do it.

Rolling starts, I've heard that for bigger guys it helps, but I disagree. There is no mechanical advantage to rolling the bar. In fact, at heavier weights it may make the lift harder because you will exert energy rerouting the horizontal movement into vdrtical. The bar will eventually get to midfoot when you roll the start, it may be off the floor, it may be at the knees, it may be lock out. So why not start with it at midfoot off the floor?

Keep working with the TUBOW. Engrain that feeling. Shove your knees the eff out and keep them there.

On the bench, if it works, it works. No reason not to do it.

Rolling starts, I've heard that for bigger guys it helps, but I disagree. There is no mechanical advantage to rolling the bar. In fact, at heavier weights it may make the lift harder because you will exert energy rerouting the horizontal movement into vdrtical. The bar will eventually get to midfoot when you roll the start, it may be off the floor, it may be at the knees, it may be lock out. So why not start with it at midfoot off the floor?

I'll definitely keep working on TUBOW, and I'm sure I'll get to the point where I can use the form for my work sets. Does it make sense that it's harder at this point since I haven't been using those muscles in those ways up to now?

I'll play around with the roll vs not roll, but it seems like it got me in a better position, possibly countered any forward bar roll that I was having when I'd set my hips. I don't know why, it just seemed to work. To be continued.

Brian Shaw always rolls the bar in, his vids on youtube he talks about it a lot. Granted he's 6'8" 410 so not exactly average but you cant question someone who breaks records.

I'll definitely keep working on TUBOW, and I'm sure I'll get to the point where I can use the form for my work sets. Does it make sense that it's harder at this point since I haven't been using those muscles in those ways up to now?

I'll play around with the roll vs not roll, but it seems like it got me in a better position, possibly countered any forward bar roll that I was having when I'd set my hips. I don't know why, it just seemed to work. To be continued.
Makes sense with the TUBOW. You're just not used to the position.

I'm telling you, the roll is easy now, but it doesn't add any mechanical advantage. You're a grown man and can make your own decisions, but I don't like it.

Did you ever reach out to the SSC in Omaha?

8 miles on the bike in 30 mins, 15 mins on the rower, then core work and stretches. Worked up a good sweat for the first time in a while.

I'm starting to get a wee bit concerned about my right bicep though. I hurt it at the end of January, doc said to give it a few weeks to heal and it'd be OK, we're now in March and I can't even throw a football to my son without it hurting. I've done no arms at all, and very little shoulders. Rowing didn't bother it, but as soon as I try a weight, it's like NOPE.

Makes sense with the TUBOW. You're just not used to the position.

I'm telling you, the roll is easy now, but it doesn't add any mechanical advantage. You're a grown man and can make your own decisions, but I don't like it.

Did you ever reach out to the SSC in Omaha?

Haven't had the free time yet. Figure I'll try to get up there this spring at some point when life settles down a little, if that ever actually happens.

Brian Shaw always rolls the bar in, his vids on youtube he talks about it a lot. Granted he's 6'8" 410 so not exactly average but you cant question someone who breaks records.
Yeah. Andy Bolton goes from a dead stop, Eddie Hall rolls. Doesn't mean it's mechanically efficient. Strong people can get away with inefficient mechanics because they are freakishly strong.

I killed it today at orange theory to the tune of 954 cals burner. Was in it from the word go for 50 minutes straight. Strength and endurance

Yeah. Andy Bolton goes from a dead stop, Eddie Hall rolls. Doesn't mean it's mechanically efficient. Strong people can get away with inefficient mechanics because they are freakishly strong.
Say inefficient if you want but I'm sure the strongest man in the world isn't leaving anything on the table. I bet he knows just a weeee bit about what he's doing, regardless of how strong he currently is.

Also, and I don't know if this makes sense, but I only need to roll on the first rep, for the rest I feel like I'm already in the right position. Again, I don't know wtf I'm doing, but trying to figure out how to lift heavy things for my particular anatomy. I'll keep trying to find things that work better.

Say inefficient if you want but I'm sure the strongest man in the world isn't leaving anything on the table. I bet he knows just a weeee bit about what he's doing, regardless of how strong he currently is.
Maybe. But the most efficient bar path is a straight line. That roll introduces the possibility of a moment arm in the bar path.

Also, and I don't know if this makes sense, but I only need to roll on the first rep, for the rest I feel like I'm already in the right position. Again, I don't know wtf I'm doing, but trying to figure out how to lift heavy things for my particular anatomy. I'll keep trying to find things that work better.
The reason you feel in the right position on the second and further reps, the bar traveled down in a straight line directly over midfoot.

Maybe. But the most efficient bar path is a straight line. That roll introduces the possibility of a moment arm in the bar path.
I dont see hows there's a maybe lol he's the strongest man in the world, thats all he does all day long and knows way more than you or I. If there was absolutely anything inefficient about what he does or anything he could improve on because it was wrong im sure he would do it.

Just a quick question, Neb if someone at the top of the game told you that something you were doing was ok, would you listen? Im not trying to start some stupid argument or shut Blu down but imo there's other knowledge out there besides just one guy on a forum, thats all. Just trying to keep an open mind

I dont see hows there's a maybe lol he's the strongest man in the world, thats all he does all day long and knows way more than you or I. If there was absolutely anything inefficient about what he does or anything he could improve on because it was wrong im sure he would do it.

Just a quick question, Neb if someone at the top of the game told you that something you were doing was ok, would you listen? Im not trying to start some stupid argument or shut Blu down but imo there's other knowledge out there besides just one guy on a forum, thats all.
Why does Shaw roll the bar? It's not possibly to have the bar move both horizontally and vertically. Now, if he rolls back to the midfoot before he pulls, then there no problem. Pull early, then a problem. Pull late, then there's a problem. Pull from the same spot everytime, then it's water under the bridge.

Well I will add this, and take hit how you will, but have you tried changing up your workout regimen? Why keep doing bench, squat, deads twice a week, when you aren't seeing the results you want. Why not have a back day and do auxiliary lifts around you main lifts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back