2016 Weight Loss and Nutrition Thread

2016 Weight Loss and Nutrition Thread

Man I hate days I feel fat.....but it's motivation to keep working at it.

Man I hate days I feel fat.....but to motivation to keep working at it.

Tell me about it brother. You have been killing it though! Keep up the good work, you are a motivation to many of us, me included.

Its really that simple...all about the numbers

That is what I have been trying to communicate, thank you for reaffirming that. Same thing I have heard from multiple qualified individuals. People like to make these things more complicated than they really are.
Yep, it really is that easy.

She told me, if you want to eat 2000 calories of pizza, go for it. But, you gotta burn more calories than what you bring in. Finding the right balance of diet for what one needs is an individual thing. For me, I cut back on carbs because of the training I am doing. Carbs get consumed post workout, as thats when I need them for what I am doing. High protein, fruits and veggies, get a solid work out in, then have carbs and protein post workout.

She told me, if you want to eat 2000 calories of pizza, go for it. But, you gotta burn more calories than what you bring in. Finding the right balance of diet for what one needs is an individual thing. For me, I cut back on carbs because of the training I am doing. Carbs get consumed post workout, as thats when I need them for what I am doing. High protein, fruits and veggies, get a solid work out in, then have carbs and protein post workout.

Which makes sense, but I find that if I don't consume proteins through out the day I crash a bit. Granted my job is a little more physical than some. But my body doesn't react well to just fruits and veggies alone.

Which makes sense, but I find that if I don't consume proteins through out the day I crash a bit. Granted my job is a little more physical than some. But my body doesn't react well to just fruits and veggies alone.
I take in a ton of protein, dude. Chicken, eggs, etc.

I did the calories in/out routine for the better part of the last 5 years. Short of a few brief fad diet runs, I've generally maintained a similar (though too high) body weight. If I ate pizza and drank beer I'd work out a little extra that day or sometime that week. Now it's caught up with me and at 32 I'm dealing with high blood pressure issues. I'm not obese, can bench 315 on a whim, squat 400 plus, and carry my extra weight well. But it's just not enough.

Like T2GRN18 stated - trash in is trash out. And I'm paying for it now. Hopefully others are smarter than I've been and avoid the pitfalls. I'm not opposed to pizza or beer, or any refined carbs, but making them staples of a diet is a poor long term investment in one's body in my opinion.

I did the calories in/out routine for the better part of the last 5 years. Short of a few brief fad diet runs, I've generally maintained a similar (though too high) body weight. If I ate pizza and drank beer I'd work out a little extra that day or sometime that week. Now it's caught up with me and at 32 I'm dealing with high blood pressure issues. I'm not obese, can bench 315 on a whim, squat 400 plus, and carry my extra weight well. But it's just not enough.

Like T2GRN18 stated - trash in is trash out. And I'm paying for it now. Hopefully others are smarter than I've been and avoid the pitfalls. I'm not opposed to pizza or beer, or any refined carbs, but making them staples of a diet is a poor long term investment in one's body in my opinion.

When I was 21, I was 340 lbs.

I dropped 100 lbs by the time I was 23.

Fast forward to my 29th birthday, and I decide its time to drop another 80lbs. Did that too.

Im 32 now, weight crept back up to 210, have shed off 15 lbs the past month or so by eating clean and riding my bike. Will be down to 185 in another month or so.

Eat clean, do cardio, weight will take care of itself. I carb up when I need too. Doing back to back 100 mile rides this weekend, I guarantee you my friday night dinner will be nothing but crap food.

Doing back to back 100 mile rides this weekend, I guarantee you my friday night dinner will be nothing but crap food.
I love that meal. That's when I get an extra large onion and green pepper pizza from papa john's and stop when the box is empty. Mmmmm

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I love that meal. That's when I get an extra large onion and green pepper pizza from papa john's and stop when the box is empty. Mmmmm

Yep. Friday night will be pure crap.

When I was 21, I was 340 lbs.

I dropped 100 lbs by the time I was 23.

Fast forward to my 29th birthday, and I decide its time to drop another 80lbs. Did that too.

Im 32 now, weight crept back up to 210, have shed off 15 lbs the past month or so by eating clean and riding my bike. Will be down to 185 in another month or so.

Eat clean, do cardio, weight will take care of itself. I carb up when I need too. Doing back to back 100 mile rides this weekend, I guarantee you my friday night dinner will be nothing but crap food.

My advice, get it off and then focus on keeping it off. Yo-yo dieting is extremely unhealthy, and when you reach my age, dieting becomes far more difficult, because your metabolism is slower, and your body won't take the exercise regimen that you can handle when you are 30.

I do well to get 5000 steps in a day with arthritic knees and hips, and chronic foot trouble since I was in my 40's. At that time I had been spending nearly every weekend in the mountains hiking and backpacking, or walking the golf course as much as 36 holes a day when I was in town. Over the next 25 years, starting with the feet, my ability to do those things was gradually reduced until walking a mile on the treadmill is total workout for me. If I had believed what I was told in my 30's and that I would not be able to lose weight as readily in my 60's as I did in my 30's, I'd be a lot better off now.

But as it is, I'm fully committed to what I'm working on now, and it will take however long it takes. Hopefully I'll still be alive to see the end of the journey.

My advice, get it off and then focus on keeping it off. Yo-yo dieting is extremely unhealthy, and when you reach my age, dieting becomes far more difficult, because your metabolism is slower, and your body won't take the exercise regimen that you can handle when you are 30.

I do well to get 5000 steps in a day with arthritic knees and hips, and chronic foot trouble since I was in my 40's. At that time I had been spending nearly every weekend in the mountains hiking and backpacking, or walking the golf course as much as 36 holes a day when I was in town. Over the next 25 years, starting with the feet, my ability to do those things was gradually reduced until walking a mile on the treadmill is total workout for me. If I had believed what I was told in my 30's and that I would not be able to lose weight as readily in my 60's as I did in my 30's, I'd be a lot better off now.

But as it is, I'm fully committed to what I'm working on now, and it will take however long it takes. Hopefully I'll still be alive to see the end of the journey.

No doubt. Lose it while you can. I have a bike salesman that ride 35 miles per day. He's super agile and can run every half marathon that comes to town. He is in great shape, eats decent but not super strict, but due to his workouts he can do it.

He is about to turn 76.

No doubt. Lose it while you can. I have a bike salesman that ride 35 miles per day. He's super agile and can run every half marathon that comes to town. He is in great shape, eats decent but not super strict, but due to his workouts he can do it.

He is about to turn 76.

And yet Jim Fixx who was more or less the runner's guru and wrote "The Compete Book of Running" died at age 52 while jogging. There are no guarantees. You can do what you can to improve your outlook, but it pays more to do it the right way from the start.

I think people tend to overanalyze a lot of this, in reality, losing weight is going to benefit your long term health regardless of what kinds of foods you eat.

Sure it can get over analyzed. I am one (as most of you know through the golf pages) who tends to over analyze :)
But don't underestimate the importance of 'good" diet. That doesn't just mean one with fewer calories at all. Ones immediate future will benefit from weight loss assuming one has weight to they "need" to lose. And sure we are all in general better off not being over weight.

But to say one will benefit long term health from weight loss without regard of what foods they eat in the process is wrong. Sorry but I disagree with that statement. What we don't know can hurt us a whole lot. Like the old saying - "The devil we havnt met may be worse than the one we now know"

Just for one simple example that thankfully this is probably common knowledge - but one may lose weight and yet over load on salt because of lack of better knowledge and cause all kinds of health problems in the future. There are very many other things than that which are very important too. Our organs and blood all perform necessary functions vital to healthy life. Provide them with far too much or far too little of what they need and one can certainly without a doubt create health conditions in their future regardless of losing weight. Good diet is not just about weight loss/control. If one really wants to be "healthy" and is serious about it now for when they age they must also consider more than just weight. It all does matter far more than one may care to think about.

I hope you reach your goals in getting more fit and healthier. You sound committed in our posts and are having progress. keep it going man :)

I saw a number on the scale today! Just got to keep grinding and I'll be a happy MoFo come Monday!

I made quinoa with banana, almond milk, cinnamon and vanilla extract for breakfast this morning and then you melt 1 tsp of peanut butter (I used almond butter) on top with the rest of the banana and it was AMAZING! I highly recommend it and it's only 5 smart points. Here is the recipe which is 1 serving and link http://www.slenderkitchen.com/recipe/banana-breakfast-quinoa-with-melted-peanut-butter

Banana Breakfast Quinoa with Melted Peanut Butter
PREP TIME:
2 MIN

COOK TIME:
15 MIN

TOTAL TIME:
17 MINUTES

[FONT=open_sansregular]Ingredients

1/4 cup
dry quinoa

• 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk (or skim, soy, etc.)
  • 1 banana, chopped
  • 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1 tsp. reduced fat peanut butter, no sugar added
[/FONT]

[FONT=open_sansregular]Directions

1. Add the quinoa, almond milk, half the banana, vanilla extract, and cinnamon to a small pot.
  2. Bring to a boil and stir. Turn down to a simmer and cover. Let cook for 15 minutes.
  3. Microwave the peanut butter for 30-60 seconds until creamy and melted.
  4. Top with remaining banana and melted peanut butter.

[/FONT]

I made quinoa with banana, almond milk, cinnamon and vanilla extract for breakfast this morning and then you melt 1 tsp of peanut butter (I used almond butter) on top with the rest of the banana and it was AMAZING! I highly recommend it and it's only 5 smart points. Here is the recipe which is 1 serving and link http://www.slenderkitchen.com/recipe/banana-breakfast-quinoa-with-melted-peanut-butter

Banana Breakfast Quinoa with Melted Peanut Butter
PREP TIME:
2 MIN

COOK TIME:
15 MIN

TOTAL TIME:
17 MINUTES

[FONT=open_sansregular]Ingredients

1/4 cup
dry quinoa

• 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk (or skim, soy, etc.)
  • 1 banana, chopped
  • 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1 tsp. reduced fat peanut butter, no sugar added
[/FONT]

[FONT=open_sansregular]Directions

1. Add the quinoa, almond milk, half the banana, vanilla extract, and cinnamon to a small pot.
  2. Bring to a boil and stir. Turn down to a simmer and cover. Let cook for 15 minutes.
  3. Microwave the peanut butter for 30-60 seconds until creamy and melted.
  4. Top with remaining banana and melted peanut butter.

[/FONT]

Sounds interesting. Don't believe I've ever had Quinoa nor sore what exactly it is. At first thought I was thinking like an oatmeal but perhaps more like a rice?

As for bananas which I always like.
Since my health conscious efforts as of late I have often for breakfast been eating plain(not the prepared flavored varieties) but plain old fashion oatmeal and I cant believe how sweat a banana can taste when in a bowl of plain oatmeal. Not that this is any new news at all (people been putting bananas in breakfasts for ever lol) but fwiw they are just that much sweater tasting and really sweetens the breakfast. Its quite yummy. Add some cinnamon and sometimes also blueberries and strawberries and its a nice breakfast. Not really any protein there but I'll get that in other breakfast days and of course via lunch or dinner. Plus I like to snack on nuts :)

We eat a lot of quinoa with various recipes since we started eating better. Usually makes a ton so we have lots of leftovers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

since I mentioned recently mentioned nuts...

I love most nuts but. A good snack with source of proteins, healthy fats, and other nutrients. But then there is the salt problem which is not something to be adding for one with high BP concerns so we must then go with the unsalted versions. But of course the taste is then just not the same. But I do buy the unsalted mixed nuts from Costco (their Kirkland brand) and have gotten use to them. And a good price and always fresh.
nuts_zpsut4n1sfh.jpg

But there is one nut that I am crazy about and too bad they are about the most expensive ones to purchase. They macadamia nuts. Oooooh baby they are good:) But expensive. I have never found even close to a better deal per pound than these also from Costco. These are so delicious but......
macadamias_zps3dy3csu9.jpg

....but they do not sell unsalted versions. And like the other nuts just not quite the same without salt. So therefore (as delicious as they are) I have to limit my intake to human portions lol for BP reasons. Which kind of works out ok because they are a small fortune $$$ anyway. That being said are about 17 bucks for 1 & 1/2 pounds vs anywhere else I've looked and are often much more than that for just 1 pound. So its a really great deal and they are delicious. On another note macadamias are about the most fatty nut we can eat. But that being said are a good source of healthy fats which nowadays is believed to actually help weight loss and of course then the other nutrients they offer are in the end a good snack. Its just that salt thing and Costco doesn't sell an unsalted version. And I just cant pay 20 bucks or more a pound from somewhere else. So I buy these and keep my intake to a respectable amount.

Fats don't make you fat. Too many calories make you fat

Fats don't make you fat. Too many calories make you fat
Don't forget that dietary cholesterol does not directly affect your cholesterol number.

Back