JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
New $20 bill coming soon and there is a new face on it. The $5 bill will also get some makeover as well. Pretty historic stuff and something that might help educate some people on the cultural history of the US.

From the AP

Harriet Tubman, an African-American abolitionist born into slavery, will be the new face on the $20 bill.

The leader of the Underground Railroad is replacing the portrait of Andrew Jackson, the nation's seventh president and a slave owner, who is being pushed to the back of the bill.

And Alexander Hamilton, the nation's first Treasury secretary who's enjoying a revival thanks to a hit Broadway play, will keep his spot on the $10 note after earlier talk of his removal.

I like how they're re-working the three bills - obviously the change on the $20 is the biggest, but changing the backs of the bills to highlight some important times in US History is cool.

And the "10 dollar founding father without a father" lyric from Hamilton stays relevant.

New $20 Bill

Really? I can't see this as anything more than PC bull$h*t from our friends at the Obama administration. Seriously. And I'd say that regardless who they changed that too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Really? I can't see this as anything more than PC bull$h*t from our friends at the Obama administration. Seriously. And I'd say that regardless who they changed that too.

I would say anytime you put a new face on a bill you are going to be acquiescing to what people are asking for. Many people wanted a woman, others wanted a black person, Tubman fits both roles.

I'm happy that she is being recognized, she deserves all the recognition she gets. I would have chosen someone who worked more with the US government, but see why Tubman

I think currency is more interesting when they make occasional changes. Even 17 years after they started, I still flip quarters over to see what state or park is on it.

• Admin
I think currency is more interesting when they make occasional changes. Even 17 years after they started, I still flip quarters over to see what state or park is on it.

Im with you here.
It causes zero harm.
Adds some new cultural and historical significance.
And makes a younger generation look and maybe ask questions.

Im with you here.
It causes zero harm.
I'm with the both of you. I think it makes a lot of sense. And I think she is one of the most deserving folks to be recognized.

Im with you here.
It causes zero harm.

It would have been very easy for them to just remove Andrew Jackson under the guise of PC, but moving him to the back of the bill particularly with Tubman on the front does allow it to more than just a piece of paper.

I tend to only look at the number in the corner.....but I can see the reactions from both sides.

I rarely have any cash on me anymore and don't really look when I do. If it spend the same I am good with whatever is on there

I fully understand the want to diversify but I think Frederick Douglass would have been a much better fit.

Sad part is most young people probably don't even know who either of those people are.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I fully understand the want to diversify but I think Frederick Douglass would have been a much better fit.

Sad part is most young people probably don't even know who either of those people are.

I always thought he is a name that is not discussed enough.

He did more for African Americans than arguably anyone else in history yet you hear racists like Malcolm X and Louis Farrakhan mentioned more often.

Extremely sad really. A brilliant mind.

I think the negative here is that Andrew Jackson had a legacy of anti-cronyism and anti-corruption. So removing him is definitely a telling move. That being said, I don't really care who they replaced him with.

I agree. I also think Gearge Washington Carver or even Booker T Washington woukd be a good fit.

Harriet Tubman did a lot if good things and I have no problems with her being represented.

He did more for African Americans than arguably anyone else in history yet you hear racists like Malcolm X and Louis Farrakhan mentioned more often.

Extremely sad really. A brilliant mind.

It is a shame. Another name that gets recognized more than should is W.E.B Dubuois. IMO it has to do with the philosophy they had and how it is used to mold the thoughts of people and attack the other side of arguments and thought process.

I think it is PC for sure but in this case it is much more appropriate than normal. I agree with others here that there were better choices, especially Fredrick Douglas, but Harriett Tubman is also a worthy choice. I don't see how anyone can truly oppose this one especially with Jackson still appearing on the bill, he has not been removed.

I think it is a very cool thing. Kind of blew my mind in a way when I first read it.

He's not a woman... get with the agenda...

I understand what's behind all of this. But my biggest question is:

At what cost? How much is this going to cost the American people? For a country that can rub two nickels together is seems like someone should alert the fraud waste and abuse hotline. SMH

I understand what's behind all of this. But my biggest question is:

At what cost? How much is this going to cost the American people? For a country that can rub two nickels together is seems like someone should alert the fraud waste and abuse hotline. SMH

The bills were due for a redesign anyway - now, I don't agree with them moving up the timeline if they do that. But I'm cool with the changes being made.

I think it is PC for sure but in this case it is much more appropriate than normal. I agree with others here that there were better choices, especially Fredrick Douglas, but Harriett Tubman is also a worthy choice. I don't see how anyone can truly oppose this one especially with Jackson still appearing on the bill, he has not been removed.

I think removing Andrew Jackson is absolutely objectionable. He has a legacy of fighting cronyism and corruption, removing him is certainly symbolic. Could have replaced Lincoln or Washington, both of whom are on 2 currencies.

I think removing Andrew Jackson is absolutely objectionable. He has a legacy of fighting cronyism and corruption, removing him is certainly symbolic. Could have replaced Lincoln or Washington, both of whom are on 2 currencies.

He's also responsible for the death of many indigenous Americans, so it's not like things are all rosy there.

He's also responsible for the death of many indigenous Americans, so it's not like things are all rosy there.

True. The problem exists however based on our history as a nation. Very few people on currency currently do not have some "interesting" sides to their cube of reign.

The bills were due for a redesign anyway - now, I don't agree with them moving up the timeline if they do that. But I'm cool with the changes being made.

Due for redesign....I'm sure there other things the country could use rather than a face life of currency that is basically worth a fraction of the number printed on it.

Back