Adam Scott Says No To Olympics

That is obnoxious!!

"At the start of the World Cup, the Brazilian government distributed a brochure detailing what to do in the event of a mugging. “Do not react, scream or ague,” the brochure said. They warned tourists to not carry a lot of cash on them, to not flaunt their valuables, and to do periodic checks to make sure no one was following them."

No chance I'll ever go to Brazil. None.

they brought the military into Rio to rid it if crime and drugs leading up to the World Cup and have been making sure to rid it as much as possible of any more they the Olympics. I am sure tons of money went to the crime leaders to help the situation. The bad thing is in other cities the crime continues to rise and the economy there is terrible. Having the wife's family there is the only reason I consider going back after being there in 2011. When I was there I never wore my wedding ring, dresses as simple as possible.

Wow! That was eye opening. Hadn't heard any of that. I guess maybe safety is a huge issue that may not even be able to handled. I guess I don't blame anyone from not wanting to be open to that type of crime.

Its bad in many areas and so much corruption it is crazy.

C'mon. If you win. You're an OLYMPIC GOLD MEDALIST for the rest of your life. No disrespect to the four majors, Ryder Cup ... OLYMPIC GOLD MEDALIST.

they brought the military into Rio to rid it if crime and drugs leading up to the World Cup and have been making sure to rid it as much as possible of any more they the Olympics. I am sure tons of money went to the crime leaders to help the situation. The bad thing is in other cities the crime continues to rise and the economy there is terrible. Having the wife's family there is the only reason I consider going back after being there in 2011. When I was there I never wore my wedding ring, dresses as simple as possible.

After meeting you I can't imagine you dressing simple, no Chukkas?

Brazil is really a beautiful Country with great people, the Government is what has screwed it up.
Sounds familiar...

<another thread>

Penicillin wins...is it legal?

After meeting you I can't imagine you dressing simple, no Chukkas?

Lol. That's my golf course dress. Keep it to jeans, basic puma sneakers that were about a year old and casual shirt. Tried to dress not so american. Thankfully I can speak some Portuguese so blending in was easier.

C'mon. If you win. You're an OLYMPIC GOLD MEDALIST for the rest of your life. No disrespect to the four majors, Ryder Cup ... OLYMPIC GOLD MEDALIST.

I'm with Scott. On the golf stage, I'd rather win a Major.

What happened to "go Aussie!!!"?

Every single person I've known personally who's gone to Rio was mugged there. And a number of them were aware of the issue - brought "dummy" wallets with a few bucks in them, no camera, etc. It's crazy.

It's his prerogative to play or not, but I don't understand why Adam is so against the Olympics. He has been from day one, so at least it's a consistent position, but it's still strange to me.

Louis Ooshuizen also pulls name from consideration. So another one bites the dust. I can't wait to see who the first big American star is that pulls out.

Louis Ooshuizen also pulls name from consideration. So another one bites the dust. I can't wait to see who the first big American star is that pulls out.

Equally lame.

I'm waiting for a player with no prayer of being selected to pull their name out. A Patrick Reed or someone like that.

Equally lame.

I'm waiting for a player with no prayer of being selected to pull their name out. A Patrick Reed or someone like that.

Tiger Woods withdraws name from consideration

now that you mention it, isn't Reed ranked 5th on the US Team spots? With the top 4 getting in?

I would like to formally announce my withdrawal from consideration for the Summer Olympic games. This summer's not really good for me, maybe next time?

now that you mention it, isn't Reed ranked 5th on the US Team spots? With the top 4 getting in?
Well don't I look like a jackass

It's his prerogative to play or not, but I don't understand why Adam is so against the Olympics. He has been from day one, so at least it's a consistent position, but it's still strange to me.

Golf has a century of functioning with a definition of greatness separate from the Olympics. It's a bit cynical to say, but we can look at the other golf events taking place in 2016 as far better determination of golf excellence. If Danny Willet adds a US Open or Claret Jug or Winnemaker Trophy to his collection, they won't be gold medals, but given the respective depths of field, I still think he's having the best golf year in 2016, let alone holding a special place of excellence for four years.

That's not to say if a golfer wins a gold medal it would end up in their sock drawer, only that the sport has grown used to viewing its best tournaments and its best golfers differently. I'm not sure how to fix that, necessarily. Maybe playing at better known courses, or with more oversight into knowing how difficult the course or field will be. I'm not saying the Olympics will never be part of golfing lore, only that right now I don't think it is, and in that context, I understand why Adam Scott would choose to focus on winning majors more than playing in the Olympics.

He's finally a top 5 player!

Golf has a century of functioning with a definition of greatness separate from the Olympics. It's a bit cynical to say, but we can look at the other golf events taking place in 2016 as far better determination of golf excellence. If Danny Willet adds a US Open or Claret Jug or Winnemaker Trophy to his collection, they won't be gold medals, but given the respective depths of field, I still think he's having the best golf year in 2016, let alone holding a special place of excellence for four years.

That's not to say if a golfer wins a gold medal it would end up in their sock drawer, only that the sport has grown used to viewing its best tournaments and its best golfers differently. I'm not sure how to fix that, necessarily. Maybe playing at better known courses, or with more oversight into knowing how difficult the course or field will be. I'm not saying the Olympics will never be part of golfing lore, only that right now I don't think it is, and in that context, I understand why Adam Scott would choose to focus on winning majors more than playing in the Olympics.
These are good points. I guess I was hoping he would play out of national pride, but I can understand his decision.

Doesn't mean I like it though.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

I certainly had him and Day as one of the top teams, I hate he is not playing.

Looks like Louis Oosthuizen dropped out as well

Shame on him! We should all start rooting against him too! :sarcastic:

Back