Can You Gauge How Good A Player is By Their Equipment & Looks?

No you can't tell anything by someone's bag. But be careful of the old man with old clubs and new grips.

I'd like to reiterate that while I do have certain stereotypes associated with scratch golfers, I do not believe that you can judge how good anybody is based solely off their appearance and clubs. Everything here is merely conjecture and opinions, none of which should be taken as a solid line of "you're only good if...", or "you're not a good golfer unless...". Just thought I'd clarify to those or if anyone thought I was asking "how to look like a scratch golfer", which I am not. I'm just interested in how one's clubs or appearance affects your perception of them, prior to them swinging a club; which as we all know, is when perceptions go out the window.

That is the exact opposite for me. Because no headcovers to me means you don't care about your stuff (IMO). Most (not all) of the people I've come across that never put headcovers on are really bad at golf and probably only play a few times a year.

Mistaken assumption, at least at my club, but I think one that is shared by many. I never use a head cover on my putter except when it's about to go on a plane and don't use one on 2 of my woods during a round. My driver sits between my Mini 1.5 and 4 wood and prevents them from touching. Half of the plus index golfers at my club don't use a head cover on their putters and/or fairway woods, they also mostly have putters that are over 15 years old and very beat up.

I'll chime-in with the general consensus and say, no, cannot tell how good someone is, or isn't by how they present themselves, nor what's in the bag.

Mistaken assumption, at least at my club, but I think one that is shared by many. I never use a head cover on my putter except when it's about to go on a plane and don't use one on 2 of my woods during a round. My driver sits between my Mini 1.5 and 4 wood and prevents them from touching. Half of the plus index golfers at my club don't use a head cover on their putters and/or fairway woods, they also mostly have putters that are over 15 years old.

Oh that's fine, I know it's a wild generalization, and I'm just basing it off muni courses I frequent and friends of mine. Country clubs/private courses are a completely different beast.

No headcover's on putters just makes me cringe though haha. But, in the end it's your stuff and you can do what you want with it.

And I'll never judge anyone as a person for what they have in their bag. If you're a good person and polite on the course, I couldn't care less how good or bad you are at golf or what you own/do with your clubs.

I don't get intimidated, but I now my game, so I don't play for money. I'm out to have fun.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Only things that are dead giveaways for good players are

1. Worn out sweet spot on irons

2. Ben Hogan Apex's

nah, I dont judge folks on the course, too much fun to be had

Last edited:
I don't think there are any tell-tale signs of a better golfer. There are some things, however, that raise red flags that this person MIGHT be good:

- Newer model (within last 5-6 years) MBs or CBs and an older putter. The better players I've played with all seem to have an older putter, probably because they've found one they like and stuck with it.
- Quality, comfortable, and unassuming golf shoes.
- A Titleist golf glove UNLESS everything else is Titleist or otherwise showy-expensive.
- A certain build. When I played in a pro-am, you could tell the pros from the ams almost universally by their build - ~ 6' 2", wiry to the point of almost being skinny, clothes that fit them well.

Again, all of this just raises red flags. I've also played with guys that were short, heavy, and playing Ping GIs that were straight hustlers. So who really knows?

Interestingly, I scored a 2 on the poser test. I do own slacks (2 pair) with the slit in the cuff. Also, now that I have the Albatross Club coin I've been using it as a marker.

On a side note, and remember this was in 1974, our #1 on the HS team won our golf sectional in Converse bball shoes, cut-off blue jeans, a Mickey Mouse tee-shirt, and a Mickey Mouse visor worn backwards. He later died in a car wreck while in college, but the dude could play.

Guess I'm a poser I could care less how others view me just because of my bag

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I'm safe...haha

Scored a 2 on the test as well, because I use the Albatross ball marker, and I admittedly do sometimes announce how I'm gonna try to shape a shot. Granted that second one is usually only when playing with friends, and often as a bit of a joke.

I think I'm safe. Love using my Albatross coin though. Tried to twirl my club once and it went flying out of my hand. Don't do that anymore.

I definitely cannot. I have seen all kinds of players shoot amazing scores, as well as terrible scores. I learned a long time ago not to size people up on the golf course, what you play won't impact much on the skill someone has.

If some guy that I don't know asks me on the first tee about playing for money, my first question would be, can I see your CURRENT ghin card?
No equipment scares me nor does a players looks.

I used to play a lot of tennis (just when oversized racquets became the norm). The guy to be wary of had an old wooden Wilson Jack Kramer racquet with a broken string tied in a knot, wore cutoff blue jeans, a t-shirt and converse high tops with mismatched and/or broken laces. "Wanna play for a dollar or new ball per game/set/match?"

Oh that's fine, I know it's a wild generalization, and I'm just basing it off muni courses I frequent and friends of mine. Country clubs/private courses are a completely different beast.

No headcover's on putters just makes me cringe though haha. But, in the end it's your stuff and you can do what you want with it.

And I'll never judge anyone as a person for what they have in their bag. If you're a good person and polite on the course, I couldn't care less how good or bad you are at golf or what you own/do with your clubs.

If I ever thought I'd play a putter for more than 6 months I might put a head cover on it!:act-up:

Good players can have anything in their bag. It could be new or old. I don't look at guys and wonder how they play, I don't care. But what I do care about are labels that are placed on golfers. New gear doesn't make you poser, it means you can afford new gear.

Some of the best players I have teed it up with have this quarter size mark i the center of their clubs. They let their clubs do all the talking and usuallyy have their hands out at the end of the round. I also play with guys that have the latest greatest every 6 months and can wear you out on the course.

NEVER judge a book by its cover, one way or the other.

If I ever thought I'd play a putter for more than 6 months I might put a head cover on it!:act-up:

Even more so a reason to keep a head cover on it! haha. easier to sell a pristine putter than a putter with some nicks in it!

I don't assume anything, and don't expect to beat many golfers anyway.

I have noticed that of the few legit scratch and plus handicappers I've played with all had older CB's or blades, woods that were at least a few seasons old, old putters, etc. Even my instructor who was provided free equipment from Taylormade and could have newer stuff if he wanted chooses to play the older 2010 Taylormade TP MB's, an R11 driver (not sure which), and RBZ stage 2 3 wood. He still regularly shoots 68 from the blues in the "play with the pros" rounds at our club.

I don't think you can. Look at me for example. I try to dress the part with every round I play. I also have one of the nicest set out there, IMO. And I still stink at golf.

If he looks anything like this, I immediately ask for $10 a hole, all the junk, and unlimited presses. Seriously, all newer clubs of one brand are usually a dead giveaway for a poser. If he has lead tape on irons or woods or an old 8802 or Bullseye putter, BEWARE.

TourPoser.jpg

This really makes me want to change my screen name to "Clutch McGee"

I can't. I played with a dude once who was hungover, smelling like he bathed in whiskey, wearing jeans, sneakers and a wrinkled button up. Not even sure what clubs he had, but he shot even par. I've also played with cats who dress the part, but can barely get the ball in the air. Hell, I look the part when I go to the course and I'm known to be less than consistent off the tee :wink:. Bottom line is you can never judge a book by it's cover IMO. Oh, and I wonder if my BMF ball marker falls into 'poser' category?

Back