Callaway XR 16 Sub Zero Driver - THP Review

I thought the RIP Alpha (I assume the old one with the skull and eyes) felt atrocious. what it lacked horribly in the hands, it is made up for with the rogue build, while still benefiting from the RIP tip area design. It's awesome.

Thanks, man. That's the one I was talking about. I actually like how that one felt. From everything I have read, the I/O is one I need to try.

Thanks, man. That's the one I was talking about. I actually like how that one felt. From everything I have read, the I/O is one I need to try.

I think it's all about how the shaft loads for different swing types. I bet the i/o swings like butter for you.

After hitting the xr16 pro and enjoying the results I saw, I am very interested to hit this with what you said about them setting up similar. I do enjoy the shape of that head a lot. Good updates Dan, can't wait to watch it in action this weekend.

Perfect timing for this review. This club just released April 15 was not available on my fitting @Club Champion April 12th. I thought the XR16 was the best of the bunch I tried.Matched with the right shaft it out performed all the big name drivers for me. I told fitter no deal till I tried the SubZero.I'll be quite interested in your review.THP is an awesome sight for unbiased reviews,good luck.

Got the call today that mine has arrived. Will pick up tomorrow and bring to the Hogan event for its breaking in...excited.

Have to agree with the RIP and I/O comparison Dan...two different animals. I/O > RIP and it's not even close imo.

Another 18 today and again I got great performance. I had a bit of pull front 9, but every drive was playable. Hit several bit low and touch heel side but all results were good. Definitely lower launch out of those but they weren't overly penalized. On the back 9 I had one big block but that was just an atrocious swing, followed that up on the next hole with 215 remaining to pin on 562yd par 5. It's so hard to explain and it's counter intuitive to the design but I've not seen any big misses out of this club. The duck hooks I had with xr16 pro few weeks ago are gone

Haven't seen the two side by side but the shape reminds me of the DBD and I loved the way it framed the ball. Looking forward to getting this one out on the range before the Hogan event. I'm not that crazy to go head first...well, close.

One advantage to my fitting at Club Champion was the array of shafts they offer. Shaft quality and a properly fitted shaft using the same head changed spin rate,club head speed,etc dramatically. Imho a SubZero head would need the right fitted shaft or mishits could be ugly.I noticed Callaway offers 20 upgraded shaft options,one of which I tested.My issue is I would need another fitting with this unique pro level design club head. With an upgraded shaft this would be a 600 dollar club.

Another 18 today and again I got great performance. I had a bit of pull front 9, but every drive was playable. Hit several bit low and touch heel side but all results were good. Definitely lower launch out of those but they weren't overly penalized. On the back 9 I had one big block but that was just an atrocious swing, followed that up on the next hole with 215 remaining to pin on 562yd par 5. It's so hard to explain and it's counter intuitive to the design but I've not seen any big misses out of this club. The duck hooks I had with xr16 pro few weeks ago are gone

The Sub Zero was made for you, Sir.

[Stares at the FS board for that XR16 Pro]

The Sub Zero was made for you, Sir.

[Stares at the FS board for that XR16 Pro]
Haha..when Kang and I played last week he was pounding it as usual. I told him you were ready when he was.

It really is a good looking head and sets up really well. I wasn't sold on it with whatever shaft was in it at Club Clash, had some dispersion issues and spin was higher than expected. Kang threw an Oban of some kind in and I immediately started pounding it. Repeatable, penetrating flight. Would love to get that combo on a launch monitor.

It really is a good looking head and sets up really well. I wasn't sold on it with whatever shaft was in it at Club Clash, had some dispersion issues and spin was higher than expected. Kang threw an Oban of some kind in and I immediately started pounding it. Repeatable, penetrating flight. Would love to get that combo on a launch monitor.
That was oban tour limited 60g 05 flex. It's the type of shaft you enjoy, smooth with kick.

I'm honestly a bit dumbfounded by this head. I need to get it on monitor to test numbers against what I'm seeing on course. It's advertised as low spin hard to tame monster. When I first got it I was a bit scared as I was having some low knuckling hook issues with xr16 pro, but I'm not seeing them. I routinely spun the pro head at 1800 launching it about 16 to 17 degrees. Any less spin than that would have robbed me a lot of carry. Instead what I saw was bit lower launch and very acceptable spin. Even up a bit to 2100 with limited monitor time.

I'm seeing a left theme here and I saw that on the monitor as well. Nothing huge...but left nonetheless. Will see what happens when I get it in the wild.

That was oban tour limited 60g 05 flex. It's the type of shaft you enjoy, smooth with kick.

I'm honestly a bit dumbfounded by this head. I need to get it on monitor to test numbers against what I'm seeing on course. It's advertised as low spin hard to tame monster. When I first got it I was a bit scared as I was having some low knuckling hook issues with xr16 pro, but I'm not seeing them. I routinely spun the pro head at 1800 launching it about 16 to 17 degrees. Any less spin than that would have robbed me a lot of carry. Instead what I saw was bit lower launch and very acceptable spin. Even up a bit to 2100 with limited monitor time.
When I had the Sub Zero on the launch in FL I saw spin numbers that were virtually identical to the XR16 Pro. Both were right at 3200.

Sure hope Kang is hitting this long & straight.

Sure hope Kang is hitting this long & straight.
Haha...you found him. Guy is tough to keep track of for sure.

...and he is

Haha...you found him. Guy is tough to keep track of for sure.

...and he is

No kidding.....next week I'm gonna have to search again. Like trying to find Waldo.

Dan how big of a draw are you seeing?

Why can't you set it to 8.5?

I do hope this travels to NE Ohio this weekend!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I need to try one of these!!!!!

Took to the course last night with Sub Zero but only managed 7 holes due to weather, and only hit the SZ twice due to the shorter tees.

On the range I was either really striking it well with a tight draw (5-10 yards) or coming across it a bit in more of a pull draw sensation. I'm starting to get a sense that I might need just a touch more weight on the head to really let it swing around my body rather than me trying to swing it, but I also don't love the idea of adding weight because I believe in the lighter, faster design of the XR16 lineup.

The first swing on course was peppered. Not unlike my well struck range shots, it held it's line for some time before tailing off in a draw shape of about 5-10 total yards before landing. The green tees at my course play that hole at 388 yards and I had about 70 yards to the pin. More importantly. the landing location was as far if not further than i am used to hitting to on that hole. Very nice!

The second shot was a risk-risk-reward swing on the 4th hole. The hole shapes right and hitting left is dead, so I tried everything I could to hit a high fade and accomplished that. Not the best strike in the world, and flight would suggest the ball had quite a bit of spin on it, but it confirms for the third or fourth time (on course) that I can shape the ball with the head.

I think the glossy head and sound of the Sub Zero are awesome elements. It looks like a great driver and sounds like a great driver which are (in my unreasonable opinion) nearly as important as the results it produces. Callaway did a wonderful job in that aspect.

Callaway XR 16 Sub Zero Driver - THP Review

For those that have hit both, how would the SZ compare to the 816 dbd? Is it that much lower spin, harder to hit? If this has already been answered I apologize

For those that have hit both, how would the SZ compare to the 816 dbd? Is it that much lower spin, harder to hit? If this has already been answered I apologize

I don't think the difficulty to hit concept really applies to either of them. You either put a good swing on it, or you've missed. I have actually found both to miss left for me (and sometimes HARD left), but it's totally manageable. I'm not really going to touch on spin either, because I can't align with numbers.

What I will do, is say that they are two different experiences, with two different weight opportunities. The DBD presents itself as being slightly heavier, with two weight ports that can be altered to accommodate CG and contact location, whereas the Sub Zero is lighter, faster, and has a couple opportunities to add weight and even lower spin (I'd assume).

I went from 816 to xr16 pro. In that transition I saw similar spin numbers but more forgiveness in the xr16 pro, especially in the heel. Now I've gone to subzero from xr16 pro. I'm seeing similar spin but lower launch. I gamed the pro at 9°, but game the subzero at 10.5. It could be the head that I have (not retail) but the subzero sets up bit more open at address which I like.

The main difference I'm seeing is that with subzero, when I miss toward the toe, I get a much lower and more pronounced draw. Misses toward the heel have minimal cut, quite similar to xr16 pro but has bit more distance loss.

I went from 816 to xr16 pro. In that transition I saw similar spin numbers but more forgiveness in the xr16 pro, especially in the heel. Now I've gone to subzero from xr16 pro. I'm seeing similar spin but lower launch. I gamed the pro at 9°, but game the subzero at 10.5. It could be the head that I have (not retail) but the subzero sets up bit more open at address which I like.

The main difference I'm seeing is that with subzero, when I miss toward the toe, I get a much lower and more pronounced draw. Misses toward the heel have minimal cut, quite similar to xr16 pro but has bit more distance loss.
For what it is worth, to me your head setup,sounded and felt completely different than the retail head. I know most (if not all) was the hot melt and extra weight in your head but it did feel like a completely different club in my hand. I will be curious once mine gets here to compare our two heads.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Back