Callaway XR 16 Sub Zero Driver - THP Review

First day with the new combo and couldn't be happier! I can't make it go left so with taking that out of play I just give her the juice. Oh...MY! Need to get on a monitor to see the changes but know I gained some swing speed and the flight is glorious. Interested to see launch and spin.
I knew you'd like it!

First day with the new combo and couldn't be happier! I can't make it go left so with taking that out of play I just give her the juice. Oh...MY! Need to get on a monitor to see the changes but know I gained some swing speed and the flight is glorious. Interested to see launch and spin.
What is the new combo?

Will get an installed pic later today but this...this is fun
ffee64571e99d9605a37e3d364c47cdd.jpg
6a29118e255b4437680222c13681dee6.jpg

Was a little nervous dropping down in weight but it holds up well.

This driver is still in the bag. Even though my swing issues have provided me with some distance loss, the sound and feel is still awesome and my misses are in play. When swung well it's an absolute rocket launcher. Bad swings are giving me drives in the 270 range with wet and soft fairways currently. I have never gamed a driver this long

It is a lot of fun to hit, I will never understand why they marketed it as non forgiving, only better players type stuff.

I lofted up this morning since I have been getting a bit wild set at -1 teeing it real high and it helped get things back on track. Still no 270 drives like the Kman but a couple out to 250ish today and that is killing it for me.

I am absolutely loving this combo. Hole 8...343 (plays 330 as the crow flys) yd par 4 on the executive course near me, Family Sports center.
344162c50caab92c7c7ccca45131df71.jpg

Probably a good thing it stepped just off the ball mark and didn't roll out. Knew it was good but is a blind green over some traps and couldn't see it land. Yes...made the birdie.

Last edited:
Same hole tonight...such a great combo for me.
2b20d0e66dfb2cf0896f20a816cde547.jpg

Absolutely performed again yesterday! I had 3 uhoh swings ( didn't finish) and when I do that the ball likes to go right...way right. Starts fine but I know by the time i look up its seeking shelter somewhere unknown to the original line. Two of those strikes I was fortunate enough that it landed just off the same hole fairway. The other I thought I could find...was wrong.

Part of that is now I know I can't go left on accident so I set up at least middle if not left center of the fairway. Confidence off the tee is good to have again.

Last edited:
Went into golfsmith and hit the fusion head. Thought wow this is forgiving and easy to hit. Then hit my gamer. Surely it takes more effort and contact quality will make the most difference here but how I swing this club with hzrdus yellow just works. (Excuse the juiced monitor)
a1aea0b785a29c0ad01b2423f1e152f7.jpg

This driver was in play yesterday and was absolutely abusing golf balls.

I've got it paired with the kiyoshi limited shaft and it's been a really fun mix. Flight is good and there's plenty of load in the shaft which is a great change of pace vs what I am used to playing.

This driver was in play yesterday and was absolutely abusing golf balls.

I've got it paired with the kiyoshi limited shaft and it's been a really fun mix. Flight is good and there's plenty of load in the shaft which is a great change of pace vs what I am used to playing.

Are you bringing this to Atl?

Went into golfsmith and hit the fusion head. Thought wow this is forgiving and easy to hit. Then hit my gamer. Surely it takes more effort and contact quality will make the most difference here but how I swing this club with hzrdus yellow just works. (Excuse the juiced monitor)
a1aea0b785a29c0ad01b2423f1e152f7.jpg

Love the spin numbers you're getting from the Subzero. As far as the monitor goes, I've noticed that on a GC2, if it's set up for an iron and you're hitting driver, the numbers are way high... especially club and ball speed. Last time I hit on one set up for an iron, it was showing an average of 122 clubspeed, 175 ballspeed. Switched the setting to driver, and they went down to 114 clubspeed, 165 ballspeed. Not sure what system golfsmith uses, but something to think about.

Last edited:
I read through the thread, the review and searched online but couldn't find why this isn't a driver for someone with a SLOW swing that has high spin? Would the ball justendup dropping out of the sky? I'm intrigued due to the small head size.

Back