Callaway Launches Diablo Octane Driver & FW Woods

Yes. I think a few did. You have to remember that most of the people here are on planes right now, but I am sure will have a lot to say about the stuff they tried out this weekend.

Hanks had it in his bag yesterday and hit some great tee shots with it. I love the sound of it.

Sarcastic?

Not at all. It was solid sounding and I witnessed some good tee shots.

very nice!!! man, I wish I could havegone this weekend for this very reason

I played both the Octane Tour driver and the Octane Tour 3w. Really liked them both. The 3w will find a home in my bag for sure and I'm at least pondering the driver to find a home in my bag

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I played both the Octane Tour driver and the Octane Tour 3w. Really liked them both. The 3w will find a home in my bag for sure and I'm at least pondering the driver to find a home in my bag

liked the 3w better than the new Cleveland FW?

when you get a chance i would love to hear more of your thoughts on the Octane 3 wood.

liked the 3w better than the new Cleveland FW?

Yes. Smaller profile and the Project X shaft was a nice combo

when you get a chance i would love to hear more of your thoughts on the Octane 3 wood.

Will do. I'll be doing my updates etc tomorrow

Yes. Smaller profile and the Project X shaft was a nice combo

I'm a fan of the project x shafts myself. I really did like this driver at the outing, but did not hit the FW.

Ok cool. Just wanted to make sure someone hit the "normal people" equipment! LOL

Stadium Golf Center down the street from me had a Callaway rep and full-on demo last night. I tried out the Octane Tour (9.5º) with the Project X 6.0 stiff shaft. The Project X shaft has a different feel to the stock stiff shaft of my 2009 TM burner. Not a bad thing, just something that I'd need to get used to. I actually liked the feel a lot. There is a nice sound when the ball comes off the face. As many said, not too "pingy" but a nice "crack-ting" - Sounds very solid. The feedback through the club was also different than my gamer, but that could be due to me hitting the sweetspot on the Octane more than I was on my gamer (d'oh). The tour version has a nice, deep face, and seems very forgiving.

I've been fighting a hook with my driver lately (finally getting back on track after last night's range session), but seemingly everything I hit with the Octane went straight as an arrow. Penetrating ball-flight, shots high on the face didn't balloon like the stock shaft in my gamer. If I don't cave to the pressure of new equipment, I'm seriously tempted to have my driver re-shafted with Project X. What's really dangerous is that Stadium Golf is having a 15% off EVERYTHING sale for their 15th anniversary this month. Craziness! I might end up with an Octane 3-wood before the month is up...

Sorry for the long post, just felt I had to share. I liked this driver a lot.

Great feedback SD Charlie. Similar results to what the people were finding at the THP Demo Day a few months ago.

I hit the regular (non-tour) version of this today at Golf Galaxy, with the Project X 6.0 stiff shaft. I really was not impressed. I managed to hit a few right on the nuts and I just didn't like it. I wanted to like it because it's a really nice looking driver, but it just did not perform for me at all. The pictures in the first post truly don't do this driver justice (sorry THP photographer). The graphic design on the top of the head are beautiful!

It's possible that I just wanted to not be impressed, cuz I have my mind sort of set on the new offering coming from Cleveland. I was also in a bit of a hurry. Only had about 30 minutes to kill between jobs.

By the way, I had on my Orange THP hat and received several compliments on it while I was in there.

Callaway had a rep here last Friday at the Edwin Watts right around the corner from where I work so I decided to take advantage of it.
Tried out the Octane 9.5 degree with the Project X stiff shaft. Really liked it. Had a good feel to it when swinging. Shaft was right on the money for me. Looked good at address. I don't know if they "rigged" the monitors but every shot I hit went pretty straight, except for the one I sliced hard on purpose to make sure it would go right to test out the screen display.
I was also getting about 20-30 yards longer distance (if the readings were right). I usually hit my Nickent Evolver 10.5 about 240-250 on avg. My longest with the Octane was 278 so I liked that. Just wonder if it was due to the difference in loft???
Also tried the 3 wood but didn't like it at all. I kept ballooning it but that was probably due to the plastic tees they use there in the hitting bays. Should have just hit it off the deck....
Told the rep my in laws were asking what I wanted for Christmas so I was there to get fitted so I could tell them what to get me. That way he didn't put the "hard sell" on me. Worked out nicely...

MD- hopefully you can go back when you have more time to put it through its paces. Sounds like a comparison is in order between the Clevleand and Callaway. Let the #'s speak the truth for you then, keep your mind clear!
I hit the regular (non-tour) version of this today at Golf Galaxy, with the Project X 6.0 stiff shaft. I really was not impressed. I managed to hit a few right on the nuts and I just didn't like it. I wanted to like it because it's a really nice looking driver, but it just did not perform for me at all. The pictures in the first post truly don't do this driver justice (sorry THP photographer). The graphic design on the top of the head are beautiful!

It's possible that I just wanted to not be impressed, cuz I have my mind sort of set on the new offering coming from Cleveland. I was also in a bit of a hurry. Only had about 30 minutes to kill between jobs.

By the way, I had on my Orange THP hat and received several compliments on it while I was in there.

MD- hopefully you can go back when you have more time to put it through its paces. Sounds like a comparison is in order between the Clevleand and Callaway. Let the #'s speak the truth for you then, keep your mind clear!

When I get around to buying another driver, I will make sure that "money is no object", and that I have all the time I need to compare many different sticks. I had a really bad day at the range the day before I hit this driver, so my confindence was in the toilet. It's very possible that had something to do with it.

Got to hit these today at Golftown here in Canada and they are sweet sticks. They look amazing in person and grabbed the tour model stiff flex and the 460 model in stiff. I much preferred the tour model 9.5* and the project x shaft felt great, the sound was just like someone said in a post a while ago that it sounded like someone hit it off the next tee, kind of muted, but good. I don't want to comment too much on ball flight since I was hitting on the store monitor and I don't trust them too much, but based on feel I was flushing the ball almost every time and felt great in my hands. There is a club a little up the island from me that is a callaway course and will let you test drive clubs on the range and on the course so I am going to try to get up to give this girl a little test drive. So far I may have found a christmas present.

Nice to hear these perform, because my god, they are ugly as sin...

2011 Callaway Diablo Octane Tour Driver 8.5

2011 Callaway Diablo Octane Tour Driver 8.5

Has anyone played this yet and does anyone know if the tour shaft in the octane is the same as the real blue project x driver shaft..

tks

Has anyone played this yet and does anyone know if the tour shaft in the octane is the same as the real blue project x driver shaft..

tks

Merged this one with a rather large thread on the Octane line. Many got to hit this one at the THP Demo Day and tons of feedback in this thread.

Both the tour and the non tour model come with project x shafts just with different weights and flex points. As for the standard project x shaft that you are speaking of there are different models of that shaft as well. If you go to a web site like golfio and look up this driver they show you the shaft specs and you can compare them to a model of the blue project x shafts that you are referring to.

Was in GG yesterday for a bit and got to hit the Octane 3w Tour again. Such a great club. I would consider swapping out the shaft but it's defiitely on the radar

Back