Why do Staff Bags only have 6 Dividers?

9-Iron Man

Exciting Times
Reaction score
Handicap
High
It a world where the majority of bags have 14 or 15 way tops, why do all staff bags still only have 6? Surely the pros, and everyone else who uses one, could benefit from individual dividers. Is it a weight issue? Or is that just the way it's always been and will continue to be?

Sound Off!

It a world where the majority of bags have 14 or 15 way tops, why do all staff bags still only have 6? Surely the pros, and everyone else who uses one, could benefit from individual dividers. Is it a weight issue? Or is that just the way it's always been and will continue to be?

Sound Off!
dunno but I'll tag along to find out the concept for this as well? I really like the staff bag designs but I enjoy the 14 way top I have atm.

dunno but I'll tag along to find out the concept for this as well? I really like the staff bag designs but I enjoy the 14 way top I have atm.

Do you have the current Monaco 3.0 bag or a previous version? I've been looking at them but it looks like they have a six way top now.....

Why would a bag have 15 spots? I would bet that tour pros do not worry about if their 6 iron is between their 7 and 5 irons. They tell their caddy what they want and put out their hand waiting for the club to be placed there.

I would doubt the majority of bags have 14 or 15 way tops out there.

They have so much room, adding barriers would just crowd it

Do you have the current Monaco 3.0 bag or a previous version? I've been looking at them but it looks like they have a six way top now.....
not sure which version it is. LoL sorry

Mine is only 6 way, and it works alright. Its the shoddy construction that burns me.

I've always wondered why there isn't a better divider system in the staff bags as well. It doesn't seem like it's for weight issues, since they already weigh a ton with all the leather and size. Just seems like they would have moved to something better than a 6-way top considering most, if not all, of your top-of-the-line golf bags have a much better club organizational system now.

I don't own a Staff bag, so have no idea.

Thanks for all the input so far! I meant to say in my first post that it seems like more and more bags are going with individual dividers. I would think it is because that is what the people want. I went with my Nike SQ bag for that reason. I would think as that's what people want, there would be at least one staff bag that would have multiple dividers. I have not heard of one, so hence the question, why is that?

Why would a bag have 15 spots? I would bet that tour pros do not worry about if their 6 iron is between their 7 and 5 irons. They tell their caddy what they want and put out their hand waiting for the club to be placed there.

I would doubt the majority of bags have 14 or 15 way tops out there.

They have so much room, adding barriers would just crowd it

yep
and it is all about uncluttered room.Most staff bags have at least a 9" top or better

I have to have 14 or 15 seperate slots for my clubs....i dont like my grips to rub on each other...

As someone that uses and likes staff bags, I will offer my input. The reason they dont have 14 dividers is because they are unnecessary in a bag this size. Larger openings mean more space and no tangling. I can fit 2-3 sets of irons if I wanted to in one of these bags with no issue. The amount of room is far larger and most offer openings at 10.5 inches (smaller staff bags at 9.5).

As for those that talk about grips getting caught or tangling, many of the carts while offering 14 club spots do not extend all the way down, so the grips and other items are virtually the same. I know some models are different such as the bag boy models, but most that I have found, have loose bottoms.

Its easier to get clubs in and out and they still look just as organized in my opinion.

Well i have a bag boy revolver, so its perfect for me and the clubs lock in place, I hate the sound of my clubs banging against each other as we drive over a hill or hit a bump in the fairway, I try to do whatever I can to make my purchases last the longest, iomic grips are not cheap, so i dont want them rubbing everytime i throw them in my bag, i dont want to have to keep trying to push my club down and it wont go down in the bag, but this is just my opinion, to each its own.

As someone that uses and likes staff bags, I will offer my input. The reason they dont have 14 dividers is because they are unnecessary in a bag this size. Larger openings mean more space and no tangling. I can fit 2-3 sets of irons if I wanted to in one of these bags with no issue. The amount of room is far larger and most offer openings at 10.5 inches (smaller staff bags at 9.5).

As for those that talk about grips getting caught or tangling, many of the carts while offering 14 club spots do not extend all the way down, so the grips and other items are virtually the same. I know some models are different such as the bag boy models, but most that I have found, have loose bottoms.

Its easier to get clubs in and out and they still look just as organized in my opinion.

Thanks JB! Full length dividers are definitely all the rage right now. In my searches thus far, I've seen that most have full length dividers while a few do not. It all boils down to personal preference I guess.

It really hasn't made a difference to me. It seems the clubs get stuck the same from staff bag vs stand bag. I had a Titleist Fitting Staff bag and Titleist stand bag both were a pain trying to pull clubs out. It seemed the staff bag the dividers didn't go far enough down and clubs would become fuse together & stuck together somehow. The stand bag seems to be the exact same way. I have a new Ping Hoofer C-1 stand bag and it is worse than both Titleist bags. I'm having to yank and beat down clubs to get them in and out. I hate the marks it's putting on my putter grip. :angry:

i will echo JB's sentiments...

there isn't a need for full length dividers in staff bags because there is so much room. the dividers in the smaller bags assist in keeping shafts/grips from getting crossed. i use my staff bag rarely but have never had a problem with getting clubs out without ease.

fwiw....i don't like full length dividers. they're cumbersome to me. but i also don't really care what slots my clubs go in.

I would offer up another opinion (not necessarily mine), and I don't mean to stereotype. This may open a can of worms, which is unintended.

The 6 slot is traditional. When 14 slots came out, they were seen as 'gimmicky' and were mostly in bags that were not attractive, or something that "a golfer" would not want to be seen using. Most of the 14 slot bags, when they first came out, were offered up in wal-mart, target, kmart, etc. They were not sold at country clubs or nicer pro shops. So, they were probably purchased by golfers who are beginners, casual golfers, or not very good players. With the internet and better technology in creating bags, I think viewpoints of 14 slot bags have changed. But, your traditionalists will always be traditionalists, and look down on the 14 slot bag....while they look at their skycaddie for yardage. LOL!

There has been tremendous headway in 14 slot bags being made more attractively, for lack of a better term. I've started to look at them for my next bag. But, I wouldn't pay extra for that accessory.

I would offer up another opinion (not necessarily mine), and I don't mean to stereotype. This may open a can of worms, which is unintended.

The 6 slot is traditional. When 14 slots came out, they were seen as 'gimmicky' and were mostly in bags that were not attractive, or something that "a golfer" would not want to be seen using. Most of the 14 slot bags, when they first came out, were offered up in wal-mart, target, kmart, etc. They were not sold at country clubs or nicer pro shops. So, they were probably purchased by golfers who are beginners, casual golfers, or not very good players. With the internet and better technology in creating bags, I think viewpoints of 14 slot bags have changed. But, your traditionalists will always be traditionalists, and look down on the 14 slot bag....while they look at their skycaddie for yardage. LOL!

There has been tremendous headway in 14 slot bags being made more attractively, for lack of a better term. I've started to look at them for my next bag. But, I wouldn't pay extra for that accessory.

Thanks staticline, I totally understand your argument. They've always been that way, so that's the way they are. Makes perfect sense to me. I think you're in luck as I don't think it is a feature that costs more. In fact, as it goes more mainstream, I'd say they would be cheaper. Of course that would vary per OEM, but from what I've seen thus far, is that 14 way bags are not more expensive.

Back