Equipment Pondering - W/ OEM Kevin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stopped in Golf Galaxy the other day on my way home to try a few drivers but mainly a Diablo Octane with something stiffer then a PX 5.0 in it to see the difference. Spent quite a bit of time an Octane that had a stiff PX 6.0 in it but came away unimpressed. Has that odd composite sound that the Callaway drivers have and this isnt really bad or good its just how they sound. Distance wasnt all that good either but with 18* launch angles Im not surprised. Funny thing was I was hitting the Cobra ZL really really well. That thing had a nice pop to it that I didnt expect. In the end I left with nothing and all the guys at GG were very disappointed. The search continues.

Stopped in Golf Galaxy the other day on my way home to try a few drivers but mainly a Diablo Octane with something stiffer then a PX 5.0 in it to see the difference. Spent quite a bit of time an Octane that had a stiff PX 6.0 in it but came away unimpressed. Has that odd composite sound that the Callaway drivers have and this isnt really bad or good its just how they sound. Distance wasnt all that good either but with 18* launch angles Im not surprised. Funny thing was I was hitting the Cobra ZL really really well. That thing had a nice pop to it that I didnt expect. In the end I left with nothing and all the guys at GG were very disappointed. The search continues.

cobra ZL huh? maybe that's the ticket for you? you planning on hitting it again?

cobra ZL huh? maybe that's the ticket for you? you planning on hitting it again?

I'll have to hit it again because right now I just cant believe how nice it felt. Just not sure when, maybe this weekend I can get over there and try it again in the launch monitor. I just dont trust the sim. I dont think the launch monitor lies but the simulator is suspect. The other driver that caught my attention as I was walking out was the Ping i15.

You gotta admit that white one is a hot mess!! You sure got a purty face

lol at the GG guys being disappointed!

I seen them doing rock paper scissors as I was walking up and as I left empty handed they couldn't believe it and wanted to call an ambulance. Told them it was ok I was fine to drive home.

They got mouths to feed, Kevin! Do your part! I expect a new driver or two before the end of next week.

I envision the whole used car thing going on...the GG guys standing around.....up rolls OEM.....mad rush to the front to greet him....

'right this way mr OEM!' ....'we have some new clubs in that may interest you.'...(reaching for trade in clubs in his hand) 'here, let us take those for you'

hehe

I seen them doing rock paper scissors as I was walking up and as I left empty handed they couldn't believe it and wanted to call an ambulance. Told them it was ok I was fine to drive home.

lol even they were surprised how well I hit the Cobra ZL and even more surprised how much the Octane didnt work. Strange times.

I envision the whole used car thing going on...the GG guys standing around.....up rolls OEM.....mad rush to the front to greet him....

'right this way mr OEM!' ....'we have some new clubs in that may interest you.'...(reaching for trade in clubs in his hand) 'here, let us take those for you'

hehe

I'm sure if they worked on commission someone would have oems number and call him every time something new came in.

Sent from my HERO200 using Tapatalk

So now Im pondering a Cobra ZL, Ping i15 and of course new Mizuno MP-T11 wedges to go with the 60*, which I expect to be on the doorstep today when I get home. Im still very intrigued by the 910 D2 also. Just wish I could hit one.

Man on a mission. I like that. What types of characteristics are you looking for out of your driver? Inquiring mind wants to know!

Man on a mission. I like that. What types of characteristics are you looking for out of your driver? Inquiring mind wants to know!

At this point Im looking to optimize launch conditions to best suit my bad swing. Hitting the Octane at a 18* launch angle aint gonna hunt. This Indian doesnt have a problem getting the arrow high, I need it to go farther. I seek better distance and forgiveness if I can through the right shaft / launch conditions.

At this point Im looking to optimize launch conditions to best suit my bad swing. Hitting the Octane at a 18* launch angle aint gonna hunt. This Indian doesnt have a problem getting the arrow high, I need it to go farther. I seek better distance and forgiveness if I can through the right shaft / launch conditions.

you kno wmy thoughts on your equipment pondering

Thats hard man and it can get frustrating. Here's hoping the Indian finds his arrow, or mini gun.

good luck in your pursuit OEM!

Thank you gentlemen. And I do use that term loosely.

Somehow I think the pursuit will continue even past this. It's the OEM we all know and love. I'd hate to see him change his screen name to "I settled for (insert club name here) Kevin".

As I ponder new drivers, see earlier post, I am also pondering cutting whichever driver I end up with down to 44".

As I ponder new drivers, see early post, I am also pondering cutting whichever driver I end up with down to 44".

the driver I am playing right now is just about 44.5, I'm not sure if its the length, the shaft, the clubhead, the ball or a perfect blend, but my driving accuracy has gone way up and distance seems to be better too.

the driver I am playing right now is just about 44.5, I'm not sure if its the length, the shaft, the clubhead, the ball or a perfect blend, but my driving accuracy has gone way up and distance seems to be better too.

This is very similiar to other things Ive been reading. Much better accuracy with very little to no loss of distance. Im starting to think the whole longer shaft thing is a big farce, the fleecing of the golfer. I just find them so much more difficult to swing. Im not even going to test it out, its just getting cut down no questions ask.

interesting. keep us posted on what results you see
This is very similiar to other things Ive been reading. Much better accuracy with very little to no loss of distance. Im starting to think the whole longer shaft thing is a big farce, the fleecing of the golfer. I just find them so much more difficult to swing. Im not even going to test it out, its just getting cut down no questions ask.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back