gbigoose1

Reaction score
Handicap
Ok, so, I'm thinking about dropping my 3 wood for a while until I can consistently hit it off the deck. My 3 Wood is 15* and my next highest club would be 18*. I know this would sacrifice some distance if I need to play a safe tee shot, and it also means some of the shorter par 5 I might not be able to get to or even have a chance in two. But, in the long run I think it will be worth it. Anybody else not carry a FW? How does it work out?

maybe you can look into a 4 wood to help to help with the lost of distance

That's a good point lefty, I guess I've never considered it! Would that be about 17*?

That's a good point lefty, I guess I've never considered it! Would that be about 17*?

Give or take a degree.. See if you can hunt down an Adams BTY 16.5. Another idea would be the Adams super hybrid 15*

I have the same problems with my 3 wood, I can only hit it off a tee. Instead, I use my 4 hybrid and it gets me about the same distance.

I got rid of my 3 wood and my 5 wood.. Picked a 4 wood and love it.. I also just happen to hit it farther than my old mactec 3 wood so it was a great choice for me

I use a 5-wood and haven't noticed any appreciable loss in distance...and it's much easier to hit off the fairway.

I took my 3 wood out of my bag this year too. I plan to buy one of the new release Cleveland 3 woods. Keeping my fingers crossed that they have the 17* available which is comparable to a 4 wood.

I cleaned out all FWs this year and went with hybrids 14.5*, 18.5* and 23* I dont miss the FWs and I can use the hybrids on more shots that I could use the FW. I am happy with the decision I made.

+1 for a 4W, Ping G10 17*. Very solid club, much easier to hit than a 3W. 17* fits very nicely between my driver and 20* hybrid.

Do not give up on the 3W. Keep practicing with it. Remember nothing wrong with hitting a par 5 in 3 and having a look at the bird.

I am a huge advocate for having a 4w in the bag. I found one that worked perfect for me and never looked back.

john

I've been thinking about doing the same thing... I can't hit FW woods off the deck and I really can't hit hybrids, but for some reason I am lights out with a 3 iron... I'm gonna keep practicing at it but I definitely thinking about taking my woods out bag until I can get consistent.

Do not give up on the 3W. Keep practicing with it. Remember nothing wrong with hitting a par 5 in 3 and having a look at the bird.

+1 keep practicing or maybe go out and find a 3-wd that suits your swing better . I find alot of uses for my 3-wd and, it saves me and my partner's arse many ,many times . I sometimes swing too hard off of the tee on par 5's and hit a short hook or a pop up but, because of my 3-wd i have a second chance and, more often than not i will take advantage . It would be impossible to reach a par 5 in 2 or even get close to the green after a loose tee shot with a 4 or 5 wd or a long hybrid . It can be reached with a 3-wd tho, thats just my thoughts .

I like the 4W or a hybrid that you are comfortable with to replace a 3W off the deck! I switched to hybrids because I can get the ball flight i want from the deck and from the rough as well!!

What are you looking to replace the 3 wood with? I dropped the three iron and went with a 4 hybrid to bridge the gap in distance so that I could add a 52.

just think how often you use the 3 iron or hybrid equivalent...then get a 22 or 23 hybrid and get rid of the 4 iron.

Ok, so, I'm thinking about dropping my 3 wood for a while until I can consistently hit it off the deck. My 3 Wood is 15* and my next highest club would be 18*. I know this would sacrifice some distance if I need to play a safe tee shot, and it also means some of the shorter par 5 I might not be able to get to or even have a chance in two. But, in the long run I think it will be worth it. Anybody else not carry a FW? How does it work out?

Why are you trying to reach par 5s in two if you can't consistently hit your fairway woods? Layup to a number and then go for the green. You will know if you have your swing working on a given day or not, if the swing is working then go for it. Otherwise layup with a long to mid iron and then wedge in. You will lower your score, I promise you that.

Also, I play a 4 wood and added a gap wedge.

I dropped my 3w from the bag this year but I'm going to put one back in the bag for 2011. Won't be using it off the deck at all but I think it'll really help me on days where my driver isn't working for me.

I went with a 17 degree Cleveland Launcher this year and thought it helped me on the tee and from the fairways. For me there was not a noticeable distance loss.

I dropped my 3 wood this past season but I may throw in the new Cleveland 3 wood when it does come out, there isn't a big enough yardage gap between my 3 and 4 hybrids to carry both, i think with the 3 wood it'll give me more options of the tee and keep me out of trouble.

I was also thinking of getting a 4W. Last year I let my ego rule and got a Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 3W. When I hit it it's awesome, super long, low-mid trajectory and straight. If I miss it by just a little, (most of the time) I pay dearly.
I was thinking about the Ping K15 or Taylormade Superfast (3w).

I dropped the 3W a while back, but I still have the 5w and 7w. I replaced it with a 60 wedge. I never had the distance to reach a par 5 in two even with the 3 wood, but I find that hitting the 5w is so much more consistent than the 3w ever was and as a result, that I am much better position and I am getting better scores on the par 5's.

That said a 4 wood would probably be a good compromise. Like some others here I looked at the 09 launcher 17* and thought it was pretty solid- its sooo hard to give up the XLS woods though...

2-iron baby!

Back