Cheap Flights for Golf Trips

Dr. Teeth

Reaction score
Handicap
TMEX 0.8!
So I mentioned before in a different thread that I can often find cheap flights to Vegas from where I'm at (which is Oregon). Golf Chick asked how, so I figured I would let you guys know as well, as I have no special connections. There is an airline called Allegiant Airlines (allegiantair.com) that flies from random airports. One of their hubs is Vegas so they are often offering really good deals to Vegas (it also looks like they have hubs in LA/Long Beach, CA; Mesa, AZ; and Orlando/as couple of other Florida destinations). I just checked and from Long Beach to Vegas they have many flights throughout Jan and Feb (I think also in March) for $10. I just checked a few destinations to Orlando in May and prices can be found from Corning, NY from $65 and Greensboro, NC for $35 (I just selected these randomly, also I found flights from Greensboro to Orlando for $16 in Jan/Feb).

Now let me tell you what I think about this airline. They will get you and your bags to your destination and that's about it. As far as customer service is concerned they pretty much treat you like you payed for a $10 flight (well you did). They try to nickel and dime you, it is a $15 convenience fee if you book online, it is an additional $15 if you book on the phone. These convenience fees can be avoided by making the purchases at their airport ticket counters. They charge for snacks and drinks on the flight and they charge $20 for each checked bag ($35 if you don't prepay for the bags). And beware because they automatically sign you up for certain services, such as, assigned seating and preferred boarding (you must unselect these if you don't want them). Also if you are flying to Vegas they also select a shuttle bus to take you to your hotel (a $15 charge). Now some are these things are great if you want them and they can all be unselected.

So in summary, they are super cheap and if you are looking to get from A to B for as cheap as possible, this is as good as it gets (especially if you only bring carry on). If you are looking to make a golf trip out of it, it appears that they consider golf bags as normal checked bags (under 50 lbs and the outside measurements of each bag must not exceed eighty (80) inches). Like I said before the customer service is not good, but I am not expecting 5 star service when I pay 1 star prices. I just figured that for many people the limiting factor for getting away for a little golf vacation is the flights, so I thought people may enjoy knowing there are options out there. It should be noted that many of the airports are smaller airport (which if there is one near you, is kind of nice), but they definitely don't offer their services everywhere. Anyways, check it out if you are interested. I could be the difference of making it to the golf outing or not (it is especially useful for the Easterners as Florida is a popular flight destination for this company.)

Last edited:
Ahhh Allegiance air. I know them well. They rank right up there with Spirit.

I made several trips out to Oregon this year and looked into that airline. They have some weird flight times that just never worked out for me. If it works for you though the prices cannot be beat.

Yup pretty much in the same league. Nothing fancy! Looks like you are in their neck of the woods.

Yup pretty much in the same league. Nothing fancy! Looks like you are in their neck of the woods.

Tourist heaven here. I used to have a lot of clients at the bank when I worked there that work at the various airlines in the airport since my branch was the closest location to the airport. There are some airlines that go there that I've never heard of until I moved here.

I had never heard of them until I moved hear and the closest airport to me is Eugene which is where they fly from to LA and Vegas, the two places I fly the most.

Only destination cities available from Co. are Vegas and Phoenix

For the most part, they fly to tourist destinations as a business strategy. They usually have limited flight schedules and fly to outlying airports, so they aren't the easiest airline to fly unless you can work your trip around them.

As was said, they offer cheap flights, but get their money back using add-on fees for just about everything out there.

I fly Southwest. They are always the cheapest where I fly to, and most of the time I can get a direct flight, at least in one direction. Plus you get to check in two free bags, a free carryon and that doesn't include a backpack for your laptop (which is considered a free personal item). So even if the flight isn't the cheapest, the bags can save you from 50 to 100 bucks. As long as you can handle cattle call seating.

Flights right now are really cheap. If your planning a trip. I'd take a look now at flights. I found some killer deals for round trip.

Southwest is running a sale right now too.

I've travelled Allegiant to Palm Springs with golf clubs from Bellingham, WA a couple of times and once to San Franscisco (Oakland). A lot of nickel and diming charges beyond the no frills price. If you go, do pay for priority boarding though. Stopped considering them for golf when they changed the luggage limits to 40 lbs. Besides the hassle getting accross the border and a frazzled disorganized check-in the last time that made us think we might miss the flight though we were there in lots of time. A women in front of me said she actually missed a Vegas flight before with the check-in slow process. For me, I'll now pay more to go Westjet or similar direct from Canada.

In addition to the 40lb limit change (my good Sun Mountain Meridian travel case and clubs are over that) the Allegiant links here also suggest that there may be "extra" charges for sporting goods. https://www.allegiantair.com/baggage-1

Southwest is running a sale right now too.

Jacqui and I booked a trip to the Bay Area flying into Oakland for $720 round trip for the both of us. Booked it on Christmas Day and going later this month. Taking our clubs and hoping to get in at least one round.

Back