The High Cost of "Premium" Putters

That really sounds like a congressional Democrate, lol. No offense buddy, but what's wrong with making money if you can? SC makes a ton of money and while I won't own one, I don't begrudge that a lot of his product line is out of my reach, I just don't buy them. But, plenty of people do so he is able to charge what he wants. The market set's his prices, it's supply and demand 101.

LOL, my mom always said I had a liberal streak. I don't know why this bothers me so bad. Same way with clothes and such. I respect the right to make money, capitalism and such, but the idea that people pay more for a name gets to me.

LOL, my mom always said I had a liberal streak. I don't know why this bothers me so bad. Same way with clothes and such. I respect the right to make money, capitalism and such, but the idea that people pay more for a name gets to me.

Believe me, I'd love to be able to buy all those putters much cheaper, but seems like the market would be much more limited if that happened. There's a ton of talent out there making some beautiful stuff that works well, but I doubt that would be the case if they didn't make pretty solid money doing it. The more they make, the more R&D they can afford.

Aggro,
My question to you is, do you like luxury cars? Would you prefer a Lexus over a Toyota, an Acura over a Honda, or Infiniti over a Nissan? All of these share many same components, but offer luxury features. Why? Because they use different materials and the market dictates that some prefer these things. They are not for everybody and for those that prefer a consumer and cost friendly model, there are the formers. Just like with putters.

I guess my thing is, in things like cars and another hobby of mine, knives, I can see the quality difference, and can find ways to justify it, better steel (knives), or supple leather (cars). If I can understand a reason for the price, I can forgive it. I just cant justify the price of some of these, no matter how I look at it.

20+ years ago when my wife started to play golf, I took her to a golf store to get a new putter. I told her that she could get any putter she wanted. She tried several putters out. She picked out a ping anser which at the time was the most expensive putter at around $95!!!!! Her whole set only cost around $200!! Well, when she lost interest in golf (I know, can you believe it??) that putter found a home in my bag. I use it to this day!!!

You are a man after my heart! You have to love the Anser. All I ever use.

I guess my thing is, in things like cars and another hobby of mine, knives, I can see the quality difference, and can find ways to justify it, better steel (knives), or supple leather (cars). If I can understand a reason for the price, I can forgive it. I just cant justify the price of some of these, no matter how I look at it.

But there are different ingredients in many putters. Things like carbon steel, etc...

That really sounds like a congressional Democrate, lol. No offense buddy, but what's wrong with making money if you can? SC makes a ton of money and while I won't own one, I don't begrudge that a lot of his product line is out of my reach, I just don't buy them. But, plenty of people do so he is able to charge what he wants. The market set's his prices, it's supply and demand 101.

I'm glad I kept reading because I was going to say basically the same thing duey!

But there are different ingredients in many putters. Things like carbon steel, etc...

Let me add to this. Lets look at apparel. You can have two moisture wicking shirts both made in the same factory and with similar materials. One costs $60 and the other cost $30. Why? Because the demand lets them. Some people just have different taste. Does it make sense? No, but it is supply and demand. Why can Starbucks charge $3 for a cup of coffee? Because the demand is there of course. If nobody went, they would have to re-evaluate those plans.

I understand that, and that it does add cost, but just how much more is steel A vs. Steel B?

See, with knives, a good steel doesn't really hike the price that much, I mean, a good vs a bad knife can be a difference of a couple dollars, but where they really ssperate themselves is the handle (in my experience) and other parts, not steel.

I guess a justifiable $200 seperation is there, but I cant find it.

I understand that, and that it does add cost, but just how much more is steel A vs. Steel B?

IT would boggle your mind the difference between cast steel and stainless steel. Or 17-4 stainless compared to 303 stainless. There are huge differences material prices.

If Scotty dropped the price of his putters, i have a feeling that he would sell more, but doubt he would sell enough to make up the difference of the dropped. Scotty is a business, he'll charge what he can to make the most amount of profits, and keep the brand in check. And by keeping his brand in the elites, hes protecting his future

I guess to me it is one and the same to other mysteries in golf like die hard brand loyalty. I never understand the reasons people buy and purchase a lot of equipment either by one brand or change gear every month. But if it gives them even the slightest bit of confidence edge, and they can afford to do it, I say have at it as long as you are not harming your game.

I fall in this category. I once played nothing but Callaway equipment but Callaway started doing some questionable things that I did not agree with so I switched.
I switched to Ping for a couple of reasons, one being the fact that my home course was a dealer, spoke well of them and had a great relationship with them. I also found that Ping offered everything in clubs that I was looking for, well made, assembled in the US, great history and super customer service.
Although Ping is not unique in that they make clubs across the board for all levels of golfers, they make cast irons which I like and their products fit my eye and ear. I really have nothing against other brands, but I like to buy from my home club and they happen to be a well known Ping dealer in my area, so it is a good fit for me and my club.
While I will admit I have not tried many other brands, I have no reason to believe another brand would make me better, so I stick with what I like. Brand loyal, you bet and for good reason.
With that said, I do not berate anyone who chooses to play another brand or have mixed brands in their bag. I guess it is the same reason why I like Ford but could care less if you don't.

===== QUOTE JB ====

===== /QUOTE ====

See, with knives, a good steel doesn't really hike the price that much, I mean, a good vs a bad knife can be a difference of a couple dollars, but where they really ssperate themselves is the handle (in my experience) and other parts, not steel.

I guess a justifiable $200 seperation is there, but I cant find it.

How about if a very famous artist does scremshaw (sp) on the handle? Also, there are some very expensive knife's out there based on who made it. I have several Hand Made knives as well, lol. The guild certification of Master is worth a lot of money to those guys.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab

Let me add to this. Lets look at apparel. You can have two moisture wicking shirts both made in the same factory and with similar materials. One costs $60 and the other cost $30. Why? Because the demand lets them. Some people just have different taste. Does it make sense? No, but it is supply and demand. Why can Starbucks charge $3 for a cup of coffee? Because the demand is there of course. If nobody went, they would have to re-evaluate those plans.

You're right. They charge it because we buy it. The art of making money.

I fall in this category. I once played nothing but Callaway equipment but Callaway started doing some questionable things that I did not agree with so I switched.
I switched to Ping for a couple of reasons, one being the fact that my home course was a dealer, spoke well of them and had a great relationship with them. I also found that Ping offered everything in clubs that I was looking for, well made, assembled in the US, great history and super customer service.
Although Ping is not unique in that they make clubs across the board for all levels of golfers, they make cast irons which I like and their products fit my eye and ear. I really have nothing against other brands, but I like to buy from my home club and they happen to be a well known Ping dealer in my area, so it is a good fit for me and my club.
While I will admit I have not tried many other brands, I have no reason to believe another brand would make me better, so I stick with what I like. Brand loyal, you bet and for good reason.
With that said, I do not berate anyone who chooses to play another brand or have mixed brands in their bag. I guess it is the same reason why I like Ford but could care less if you don't.

I think this is no different than any other purchase was my point. You choose to support Brand A because you like them and want to be brand loyal. Someone else chooses to support brand B (regardless of price) because they like them. And that same person may like 6 different brands and want to try each one over the course of the year. A high priced putter compared to a low priced putter to me is no different than someone buying Ping Forged or S56 irons when they can get a set for half that price somewhere else (just using Ping as an example). Or the difference in someone playing a new K15 driver or R9 driver when they can get another driver for half the price.

The one thing I will never be able to figure out is how in the world Cameron ever got to the point today, where he can grab a blank CNC milled head off of a rack, do a hours worth of hand grinding, cut off the CNC milled neck, weld on another one, bend it a couple of times, weld his name on the back flange, then handstamp a few stamps on it, buff it, add a finish and paintfill and put a price of $10,000 on it and SELL it right away. Mind blowing.

Last edited:
You might be surprised how much dog sh*@ you could sell if you convince everyone its the best dog sh*@ out there.

You might be surprised how much dog sh*@ you could sell if you convince everyone its the best dog sh*@ out there.

CNC milled $#!^ is better than cast $#!^.

Feel is very subjective. I happen to like the feel of cast clubs better, putter included, but I don't care if others don't agree. There is a reason they make clubs out of many different materials and processe's.

Feel is very subjective. I happen to like the feel of cast clubs better, putter included, but I don't care if others don't agree. There is a reason they make clubs out of many different materials and processe's.

I was just joking, dude, if the steels were the same, I couldnt tell the diff.

===== QUOTE thedue ====

Posted from my BlackBerry using http://www.BerryBlab.com

===== /QUOTE ====

Lol, but smell the same.

I was just joking, dude, if the steels were the same, I couldnt tell the diff.

I hear ya. The debate will continue long after we are gone....

This is a really deep question. From my experience when I was buying my putter, I found that (unfortunately) the higher priced version of my putter was better for me (I just didn't want to shell out $300). The Black Series #5 with its tungsten insert on the back end of the head really was the best for me, and I could feel that extra mass balancing and pushing the face more than what mine does. My putter was $160 but I got it for $80 so I really couldn't pass it up and decided I could teach myself to putt as well as I could with the Black Series given the price difference.
However, just because of the way I am, whether it makes me putt better or not I WILL own a Machine putter in the next few years. I just think they're so darn cool, the price is sort of irrelevant.

There certainly is nothing wrong with wanting a putter because it is cool. Despite all of the comments and different opinions, there is nothing wrong with buying what you like. I don't want to keep repeating myself, but I say all the time that I will be the last person to tell others how to spend their money. I love looking at custom putters from all makers and I have always been attracted to the older offerings from Mills and Tad Moore, I just never had the desire to own any of them with the exception of owning a couple of Mills putters (by David) a few years ago. Buy what you like!

Back