Short Putts aka Knee Knockers

Snap Hook

I before E,excpt Titleist
Reaction score
Handicap
3 SNGA
First let me state if the yips was in the dictionary you'ld find a picture of me.

I wanted to talk about my problems with 3-8 footers with some break.
Latley a buddy of mine has been telling me to be more firm with the short putts and I have seen much improvements in those putts.

They say there are two kind of putters, People who ram it home and people who like to have the ball fall into the whole. I'm definitly the latter. And I guess this is a problem with the short putts with a lot of break. As my ball is approaching the hole it's losing speed quickly and starts to break harder. I burn edges like no body's business.

My buddy is a far better putter than me and he's practically automatic from these distances. One advantage he has though is he's retired and spends everyday either playing golf or practicing on his own putting green at home. (lucky guy :angry:)

Anyways lets say I got a 4 footer with a healthy left to right break. Lets say I would play the shot 2 Balls outside of the left edge of the hole. My buddy would always say "Never give away the hole unless you have to". HE would play it left edge with enough strength to "take the break out of it".

I was opposed to this philosophy at first cuz the knowledge that if I missed one of those putts it would rocket by atleast 5 feet. But I recently adopted this philosophy and its been working really well. Has anyone else had experience with this? Or do you guys have another approach to these tough little putts?

You need a Backstryke putter, I swear these putters are automatic from 5' and in.

Hit 100 of them every day, youll be fixed.

I wish I could, but along with golf I got my Guitar Addiction, my Video Game Addiction, my Drinking Addiction, and my Work to pay for all my addictions. Oh and my girlfriend too. Yikes I almost forgot about her. haha

I wish I could, but along with golf I got my Guitar Addiction, my Video Game Addiction, my Drinking Addiction, and my Work to pay for all my addictions. Oh and my girlfriend too. Yikes I almost forgot about her. haha

lmao. Start a putter addiction and youre all set.

Take the break out of it... less guessing. I had the same issue and since I've been focusing on the it's helped quite a bit!

Yes!! I get my 2 ball model delivered tomorrow (hopefully). Can't wait to try it out!!

Nice! Ive been putting with my blade version quite a bit lately now that I have a putting green. It keeps wanting to know the Ghost out of my bag.

I used to do this when I played in HS. I would hit 100 every day from 3-4 feet.

I do this on the living room rug while the wife watches Glee.....or Oprah. How many can I sink in an hour is the game...

You need a Backstryke putter, I swear these putters are automatic from 5' and in.

Played with a dude that played that Marxman style. It wasn't helping. And he played with blades with Iomic grips. He was way more serious than me.

Played with a dude that played that Marxman style. It wasn't helping. And he played with blades with Iomic grips. He was way more serious than me.

Clearly he must have been doing it wrong lol

One of the best putters at our course uses the take the break out of the putt. Now I like to try to pick an arc somewhere in the middle of the putt and let it drift down towards the hole. The problem with that is with our greens being quicker than a tile floor right now, if ya miss it you have a 20 footer coming back. Now my buddy who takes alot of the break out and rams most of his putts down the cup, just about gives me a heart attack watching him putt. I mean I fear for his life when he's putting those side hillers and three foot down hillers . KellyBo knows who I am talking about (Bruce). Bruce has a mean short game and his putting is just freaking awesome. He's won seven Senior Club Championships so I suppose the short game (putting) comes in pretty handy :thumb:

One of the best putters at our course uses the take the break out of the putt. Now I like to try to pick an arc somewhere in the middle of the putt and let it drift down towards the hole. The problem with that is with our greens being quicker than a tile floor right now, if ya miss it you have a 20 footer coming back. Now my buddy who takes alot of the break out and rams most of his putts down the cup, just about gives me a heart attack watching him putt. I mean I fear for his life when he's putting those side hillers and three foot down hillers . KellyBo knows who I am talking about (Bruce). Bruce has a mean short game and his putting is just freaking awesome. He's won seven Senior Club Championships so I suppose the short game (putting) comes in pretty handy :thumb:

My buddy I mentioned earlier, its the same for me. When He sets ups and I can see the line he's taking I already know it's gonna be coming in like a fireball. But for the life of me, I can't remember the last time he's missed one of those. I guess it just takes a little bit of courage/stupidity to hit it that hard and on that line.

My dad would agree with take the break out. He's never been a golfer, but when we watch golf together, he usually says he doesn't understand why the guys try to curve it in there - meaning play the break. He wants them to just ram it home.

I am the type to make it die into the hole. I'm scared if I putt it with authority and miss I'll have a longer putt coming back than I started with.

I think a middle ground might be what I start practicing.

I'm in the middle like MSB256 here... On the shorter putts i try to reduce the break SOME but not RAM it home. This is also why I three-putt.

Too me it is all about that specific putt. I have done both, hammered it home and let it trickle in the hole. To me the danger is if you do decid to hammer it home and you miss your line, you may end up with a longer putt coming back. It has happened to me. For me it all depends if the putt is down hill, up hill, left to right, right to left, and how well I am hitting them on the day.

Ramming it home takes courage/stupidity but my experiments with it have shown strong endorsements for it.

Another reason for the sudden change in putting philosphy for me is cuz of the weather out here in Vegas Right now. We tee off early in the morning and we've been getting delayed cuz of frost. The greenskeeper told me when the greens freeze overnight they can't roll them or cut them in the morning. And as the day progress the greens turn soft and very bumpy. For people like me who like to softly roll the ball into the hole, bumpy greens can be an absolute nightmare. A side benefit i've found is the firmer stroke has been helping the ball hold it's line better. (cuz it's probably now flying over the line rather then running on top of it)

For me, it depends on the slope of the green.
If it's a downhill putt, I will try to die it in the hole.
If it's flat, then I will be a little aggressive with the putt and take a little off the break.
If it's uphill, then I will be more aggressive and take more off the break.

For me, it depends on the slope of the green.
If it's a downhill putt, I will try to die it in the hole.
If it's flat, then I will be a little aggressive with the putt and take a little off the break.
If it's uphill, then I will be more aggressive and take more off the break.

I like this and it is what I have been doing.

Depends on the conditions, and the specific putt. There's a time and a place for both styles.

Practice is always the key to the shorter ones. Build some confidence with them.

I like the 'putt past the hole' drill, where you aim for a spot/a tee/a ball that's about a foot behind the hole. Promotes a firmer strike, but maybe not a shooter!

Back