Greatest NHL Hitter

JNRadio

Banned
Reaction score
Handicap
Now I don't mean fighters or goons, I mean most devastating clean hitter.

My vote is Scott Stevens;

i can't believe most of what I saw there were legal hits. Coming at people blindly, lifting up with your shoulder when you hit resulting in a shoulder to the jaw, hitting guys who are already kareening off of another player... I know they may be within the NHL rules, but I certainly question whether they should be. Look at the list of names - Kariya, Francis, Lindros, Kozlov; those are people I would think the league would like to keep on the ice rather than in the hospital with concussions.

i can't believe most of what I saw there were legal hits. Coming at people blindly, lifting up with your shoulder when you hit resulting in a shoulder to the jaw, hitting guys who are already kareening off of another player... I know they may be within the NHL rules, but I certainly question whether they should be. Look at the list of names - Kariya, Francis, Lindros, Kozlov; those are people I would think the league would like to keep on the ice rather than in the hospital with concussions.

Thats the danger of going across the middle with your head down...

Ironically Sid Crosby just spoke up today and said the NHL needs to address head hits and concussions, with a player of his caliber saying it and all the attention concussions have been getting in the NFL etc... They might do something about it now.

They're not legal anymore. That the league created a rule against blindside hits is miles and miles away from their policy just 2-3 years ago.

But Scotty was and will always be the greatest.

Maybe its my homerism but Rob Blakes hip check was one of the best.
[YOUTUBE]p378LSvhhZA&feature[/YOUTUBE]

Those were some nice hits from Blakes

Greatest open ice hitter ever. I'm a homer as well but that last hit on Lindros was money. I don't think he was ever the same after that hit.

Greatest open ice hitter ever. I'm a homer as well but that last hit on Lindros was money. I don't think he was ever the same after that hit.

No he was never the same after that. Lindros had all the talent in the world but he had a skull like a soft-shell crab, if you bumped into him in the hallway he would get a concussion. I think his brother was the same way

Larry Robinson.

Had to get some old school in there, he didn't try to hurt anyone either.

Go Habs

I thought hitters were in baseball...:confused2:

Ovie can dish them out when hes in the mood

is it bad that i can't name 5 current hockey players? they skate, do skaters hit? i watch as much hockey as i do nascar, and that's not much. that ovechkin's pretty good. he's in the sportscenter top plays of the week a fair bit, eh?

Awesome TC. Your on your way. A little more, and youll be an average American NHL fan
is it bad that i can't name 5 current hockey players? they skate, do skaters hit? i watch as much hockey as i do nascar, and that's not much. that ovechkin's pretty good. he's in the sportscenter top plays of the week a fair bit, eh?

and JN I dont mean to start something here, but I only really count 2 or 3, MAYBE 4(if im being generous) hits in that video that are clean. Either way you cut the pie, his cleanliness in the top 10 isnt over 50 percent.

and JN I dont mean to start something here, but I only really count 2 or 3, MAYBE 4(if im being generous) hits in that video that are clean. Either way you cut the pie, his cleanliness in the top 10 isnt over 50 percent.

I don't think he was penalized on a single one...

He left his feet on at least 6, 2 couldve been called interference, and one definitely was a flatout headcheck. On 3 of them they couldve easily been called for intent to injure.
I don't think he was penalized on a single one...

He left his feet on at least 6, 2 couldve been called interference, and one definitely was a flatout headcheck. On 3 of them they couldve easily been called for intent to injure.

Were those rules when he delivered the hits or the rules today?

Written rules of today, unwritten rules of yesterday. Leaving your feet has always been dirty, whether theyre written on a piece of toilet paper or not.
Were those rules when he delivered the hits or the rules today?

I vote Chris Pronger. He hits with his feet planted. And he consistently got penalties for being flatout stronger than guys

Written rules of today, unwritten rules of yesterday. Leaving your feet has always been dirty, whether theyre written on a piece of toilet paper or not.

I vote Chris Pronger. He hits with his feet planted. And he consistently got penalties for being flatout stronger than guys

Well myself, I've always questioned written rules and had no use for the unwritten ones. But whatever your right and I'm wrong

Theres a reason why it was never ever done in the game until the 90s. It was called respect.

As equipment got better, people could use it as weapons. They have rules in place for it now, but it was always a dirty play. He wanted to end careers with his body, and he blatantly threw shoulder to head any chance he could. There are ways to take guys out of the play without taking them out of the NHL. Thats why Chris Pronger and Rob Blake are respected around the NHL. They arent goons, unlike Scott Stevens. He could throw big hits, but Im sure 90% of elite defenseman could too, they just cared too much for their opponents because whats best for the team isnt always best for the league.
Well myself, I've always questioned written rules and had no use for the unwritten ones. But whatever your right and I'm wrong

No need for the youre right im wrong bologna. Now youre being bitter and dragging your attitude in from other threads. Its a place for debate.

I'm with you TC, I am that one Canadian youve heard about who can't stand hockey.

I feel that I should have been notified before taking up an agreement to be roomies with you. :blob::alien:

Sorry man, we can just agree to talk about anything but hockey and we will do just fine.

Although Stevens did have a ton of clean hits there are some that were pretty dirty.

AKA Hit on Paul Kariya in the playoffs in what year? I'm sure you all remember.

My vote goes to Dion Phaneuf.

Back