TaylorMade Burner SuperFast 2.0 & TP Driver Review Thread

There are some interesting differences in the specs on the two SF 2.0 drivers. One that really caught my eye was the swing weight of each, the TP is a D4 while the regular is a D9! The specs dont mention the face angle anywhere though. The regular is 46.5" while the TP is 45.5". The TP's also have heavier shafts too, 56G and 65G depending on which shaft you pick.

OEM, the face angle is mentioned on the "Performance" tab, then click "Fade Bias." It's one degree open and has the weight in the toe.

OEM, the face angle is mentioned on the "Performance" tab, then click "Fade Bias." It's one degree open and has the weight in the toe.

Yeah I did see it, it just wasnt in the "Specs" part, which seems odd to me. Isnt that a "spec"? But I do like that is only one degree open.

There are some interesting differences in the specs on the two SF 2.0 drivers. One that really caught my eye was the swing weight of each, the TP is a D4 while the regular is a D9! The specs dont mention the face angle anywhere though. The regular is 46.5" while the TP is 45.5". The TP's also have heavier shafts too, 56G and 65G depending on which shaft you pick.

In addition the xcon 4.8 has MUCH more torque than the hd6 or xcon 5 and is without a doubt very tip soft in comparison. For me that is a recipe for extremely high spin and high launch conditions.

What are you referring to? That TP equipment is made for better players? Because it isnt. Its made for a different style of swing.

While that is the case, it is made for a swing type geared towards better players. You are looking at it strictly from the open and closed argument and that is not the only difference. The difference is in ball flight and shaft choices.

Wrong. I know a ton of guys who are 20+ Handicap that need TP stuff because the way their swing is built. Its made for an in-to-out swingpath. Many great players use this swing path. But the stuff isnt made for good players. Its made for the swing that most good players use.

not everyone under a 5 or 10 Hcp should be using TP stuff, because some have out-to-in swingpaths. That doesnt keep them from being great players, but it sure means that they should NOT be using a TP driver. Calling something a TP version is strictly marketing IMO and it seems to be working

Youre really beating a dead horse here. I already said I was wrong on the biased driver

Again, you are looking at it from the head only and not the shaft. The TP is geared towards a different player, a more experienced player. Is it marketing partly? Of course, as is everything, but it beats them having a 3rd driver line. You are talking about different spin, launch, etc...Not just open and closed.

That is correct. Not sure where it came about that it was draw biased (the weight), it is fade biased all the way.

That is correct. Not sure where it came about that it was draw biased (the weight), it is fade biased all the way.

JB, am I correct in assuming that the wieght in the toe of the TP is similar to the weights in the R9, R9 460, R9 Hybrid and not like the weights in the SuperTri / Superdeep?

JB, am I correct in assuming that the wieght in the toe of the TP is similar to the weights in the R9, R9 460, R9 Hybrid and not like the weights in the SuperTri / Superdeep?

It appears that way.

Again, you are looking at it from the head only and not the shaft. The TP is geared towards a different player, a more experienced player. Is it marketing partly? Of course, as is everything, but it beats them having a 3rd driver line. You are talking about different spin, launch, etc...Not just open and closed.

I was really only looking at the head because when it comes time for someone to be fit for a driver, the shaft options will suit their game. Much like a TP or a regular head will be fit for ones swing.

I was really only looking at the head because when it comes time for someone to be fit for a driver, the shaft options will suit their game. Much like a TP or a regular head will be fit for ones swing.

But 80% of people dont do that. They buy off the rack.

If you want to take full driver fitting into the equation than none of it matters whatsoever.

Golfergal can you confirm that they redesigned the headcovers for the SF too? Does it have the handle on it like the R11 does? Last years headcover was lame, just like the R9 was too.

Ok, I can answer your question now. No, it does not have the handle on it.

Do we get to hear your thoughts with the drivers today JB, or will it all just be in the coming reviews?

But 80% of people dont do that. They buy off the rack.

If you want to take full driver fitting into the equation than none of it matters whatsoever.

As of right now the Taylormade site shows only the xcon 4.8 as a shaft option for the SF 2.0 in the spec menu and the custom option portion has not been updated yet. Another interesting point about this is that just like last year the TP head takes .335 tips while the standard is once again .35

Also thanks JB about the wieght question, it is too bad though because I was hoping that the MWT may have leaked into the burner line. Well I am more disapointed that the FCT did not make it into the line but the MWT would have been great to.

Okay so I played the SuperFast 2.0 for 9 holes today. I have not put the TP in play yet, but the SuperFast 2.0 is a solid performer. I did not find it any longer than the SuperFast really, but definitely prefer the look of it as my playing partner had one with him. For those that love the sound of the SuperFast, I will warn you up front, the 2.0 has a VERY different sound. Its not better or worse really, but different. Its still an incredibly long driver distance wise and quite a performer. If you liked the original based on performance, you will like this one quite a bit. More coming soon of course.

Okay so I played the SuperFast 2.0 for 9 holes today. I have not put the TP in play yet, but the SuperFast 2.0 is a solid performer. I did not find it any longer than the SuperFast really, but definitely prefer the look of it as my playing partner had one with him. For those that love the sound of the SuperFast, I will warn you up front, the 2.0 has a VERY different sound. Its not better or worse really, but different. Its still an incredibly long driver distance wise and quite a performer. If you liked the original based on performance, you will like this one quite a bit. More coming soon of course.

Can we ask about the one with the C. Kua in it? Or will that have to wait?

Excellent, thanks for the feedback.

Spent some time on the range with this one again today with a couple of people. It was by far the favorite of one of the testers. He is rather long off the tee and loved the club all the way. Hitting nice little draws with it and said he felt as though the white set up better than his 2010 SuperFast TP. He did not expect to like it going in, but came away really impressed. So much so, that he wants to play it again this week.

I am still struggling with the sound a little bit. Not a bad sound mind you but I have been using TM drivers for so long that I have become accustomed to that sound that they have at impact. This is the 1st one that just has a different sound and one that I am not used to hearing. Results are good though.

I had the pleasure of trying this club out today. I hit the 9.5 with the stock stiff shaft. When you pull the headcover off, it is a thing of beauty. It has an artistic look to it. The white makes it pop. I didn't have any glare issues at address. It wasn't distracting between the ball and the club head. I took a few practice swings, it felt smooth. I lined up and smack, the first impression is the sound off the face. It provides instant feedback. I told JB, it sounds like a Nike. It has a piercing ball flight and then it starts to climb. It offers a lot of forgiveness, misses right or left didn't hurt you. I hit some lasers with this club.

Great info guys. The anticipation of seeing these clubs and getting a chance to hit them is killing me. I am not sure which way I am going to go. I currently play the supertri TP w/ stiff stock shaft. All my settings are on neutral and my ball flight is high with a draw and penetrates and does not ballon. My misses are blocked to the right. I am wondering if I use my current driver that way, should I consider the TP Burner. I have never been so hyped up about a club before. I played ping up until this past season and loved Ping, but the Taylor stuff for me is so much better. Keep the feedback coming fellas! Thanks

Great info guys. The anticipation of seeing these clubs and getting a chance to hit them is killing me. I am not sure which way I am going to go. I currently play the supertri TP w/ stiff stock shaft. All my settings are on neutral and my ball flight is high and penetrates and does not ballon. I am wondering if I use my current driver that way, should I consider the TP Burner. I have never bees so hyped up about a club before. I played ping up until this past season and loved Ping, but the Taylor stuff for me is so much better. Keep the feedback coming fellas! Thanks

The TP SuperFast 2.0 will still be more open at address in my opinion and they are VERY different drivers in things such as spin.

Back