Wooly Mammoth Resurrected

interlooper

Wishing I was golfing now
Reaction score
Handicap
Very cool. Jurraisic park IV, anyone?

that would be cool but would it really be a wooly mammoth since i think it'd be kinda half elephant half wooly

Nah, it would be an exact copy of the mammoth that they got cells from. The elephant nucleus is removed from the elephant egg, and with it, any elephant DNA. I think.
that would be cool but would it really be a wooly mammoth since i think it'd be kinda half elephant half wooly

Nah, it would be an exact copy of the mammoth that they got cells from. The elephant nucleus is removed from the elephant egg, and with it, any elephant DNA. I think.

That is true to an extent- the nucleus would enact its cellular changes (protein, RNA, etc) but it will still have to retain some of its elephant protein profile. I don't have a clue how much this would actually effect the "final product" but it wouldn't be a pure clone in the truest sense... it would be as close as physically possible until they have a live egg based fully on the genetics of the mammoth.

Clones have a very poor life expectancy and a lots of things go wrong in the process. For as much as we pretend to understand genetics and life... we dont.

Ah, I see. You must understand, I am working off a knowledge base that is roughly equivilant to that of my biology teachers, which, I am ad to ay, equates to very little knowledge at all.

That is true to an extent- the nucleus would enact its cellular changes (protein, RNA, etc) but it will still have to retain some of its elephant protein profile. I don't have a clue how much this would actually effect the "final product" but it wouldn't be a pure clone in the truest sense... it would be as close as physically possible until they have a live egg based fully on the genetics of the mammoth.

Clones have a very poor life expectancy and a lots of things go wrong in the process. For as much as we pretend to understand genetics and life... we dont.

Ah, I see. You must understand, I am working off a knowledge base that is roughly equivilant to that of my biology teachers, which, I am ad to ay, equates to very little knowledge at all.

I am basing that off of 1 semester of genetics in undergrad and 1 semester of pharmacogenomics (application of drugs through genetics) in grad school. I am not much better off than you are. Mostly educated guesses and simpleton answers.

I am basing that off of 1 semester of genetics in undergrad and 1 semester of pharmacogenomics (application of drugs through genetics) in grad school. I am not much better off than you are. Mostly educated guesses and simpleton answers.

I like this word, lol. This, and syzygy.

I have a very limited understanding of this as both high school and college bio were many moons ago, but is it true that the "clone" produced would be the biological age of the animal who's dna sample was used? For example, if the mammoth who's dna is used was 4 yrs. old when it died , the clone would be already aged by 4 yrs. when it is born? Is that one of the life expectancy issues with clones?

Yes. It involves the remaining amount of the telomere cap on the DNA. You could see the difficulty of a 4 year old fetus trying to develop. If the telomere cap is still relatively full though, this could be one hell of a breakthrough, even though it is already.
I have a very limited understanding of this as both high school and college bio were many moons ago, but is it true that the "clone" produced would be the biological age of the animal who's dna sample was used? For example, if the mammoth who's dna is used was 4 yrs. old when it died , the clone would be already aged by 4 yrs. when it is born? Is that one of the life expectancy issues with clones?

They tried this on an island about 20 years ago with dinosaurs and a lot of good people died. Sounds like a bad idea to me.

A Woolephant?

elemammoth

Mr. Snuffleupagus

Very cool. Jurraisic park IV, anyone?

Actually I saw somewhere (I think it was 60 minutes) that they might be able to replicate a dinosaur from a chicken embryo (since they say that chickens are direct descendants of the dinosaur) sometime in our lifetime. All they need to do is perfect the genetic sequence and voila! dino chicken.

Jeff Goldblum will be hiding under his bed.

Sometimes ethics needs to kick in. Just because you CAN do something doesn't mean you SHOULD do it.
These animals became extinct for a reason.

im waiting till they genetically engineer toy wooly mammoths... i will adopt one from the aspca as soon as they are available

I hope they succeed. I would love to see video of a wooly.

This is not the greatest post in the world, this is just a tribute.

thats kind of crazy to think this is even possible, very cool

ah, i don't like it. i think that science and nature both have their place and it should stay that way imo. i'd rather see this sort of science or tech go into something more beneficial.

ah, i don't like it. i think that science and nature both have their place and it should stay that way imo. i'd rather see this sort of science or tech go into something more beneficial.

Like making blades that are more forgiving? Or drivers that hit the ball 400 yards? I kid.

I wish they would release the cure for cancer or aids.

THPing on the fly. Sorry for lack of forum etiquette.

They will, but eventually something else will have taken cancer or aids' place as a big killer. They're already taking about stopping aging or at least slowing down aging considerably.

Like making blades that are more forgiving? Or drivers that hit the ball 400 yards? I kid.

THPing on the fly. Sorry for lack of forum etiquette.

Honest opinion is we will never have a cure for cancer. Cancer isn't one disease; it's thousands each with different causes, effects, and treatments. We will continue to find it faster, treat it better, and have better prognosis but the "cure" for cancer wont exist in our lifetimes.

AIDS has some very promising studies going on in Africa right now. We are about 10 years away (rough estimate) for an HIV vaccine and there have been some very promising breakthroughs for an outright cure in our life time.

RE: the ethics of this I am not sure exactly where I fall. Being an animal that was long ago extinct, that wont be able to reproduce, and likely wont live but a handful of years I don't think scientifically there is anything wrong with it. When you start taking into animals rights (all the testing and experiments that it will go through, in addition to the short life span), possible transition to humans (which I DO feel is unethical), and other unforseen consequences of this I am really leary.

I think they will fail anyways, so what does it matter?- but thats just me.

Back