TaylorMade R11 Driver & Fairway Wood Review Thread

You and I both know that the interwebs reaches far more consumers than magazines/print publications do. I even said earlier that the ad in Golf Digest was effective, but my point is, market the tech, not the color, the color will speak for itself, as it has been already.

Alas, what the heck do I know, other than the fact that I like to mute the TV or turn the channel when that commercial airs.

Not even close. In general? Yes. The distribution of the golf print publications and reach of TV is so far and away bigger than the reach of golf forums and websites, its not even funny.

I never said I liked it, but I agree with the whole that its doing its job. Hell, we have posted about it for 20 posts and the commercial has aired 3 times in the past 2 hours in this thread.

Not even close. In general? Yes. The distribution of the golf print publications and reach of TV is so far and away bigger than the reach of golf forums and websites, its not even funny.

I'm sorry but I am not buying this at all. How do you know how much traffic goes to TM's website, Nike's website, Cleveland's website, etc. There's far more outlets via the internet for golf information than there are publications. The internet is outgrowing every other traditional medium by leaps and bounds and I can't believe for a second that golf isn't experiencing the same. Proof of this is that every major golf publication basically gives away subscriptions, especially when you compare that to a decade ago.

My opinion: this commercial is annoying. The driver is white, whoopie!!!! Hawk's been saying it from the moment this thread went up, the technology is getting lost, and to me, that's a shame.

I'm sorry but I am not buying this at all. How do you know how much traffic goes to TM's website, Nike's website, Cleveland's website, etc. There's far more outlets via the internet for golf information than there are publications. The internet is outgrowing every other traditional medium by leaps and bounds and I can't believe for a second that golf isn't experiencing the same. Proof of this is that every major golf publication basically gives away subscriptions, especially when you compare that to a decade ago.

My opinion: this commercial is annoying. The driver is white, whoopie!!!! Hawk's been saying it from the moment this thread went up, the technology is getting lost, and to me, that's a shame.

If you add up the TM website (doubt callaway is putting up white drivers right now) and most of the golf equipment sites, it would still be lower than print and TV together. And it would not even be close. Golf & GD combined is HUGE. NBC or CBS broadcast of tournament is even bigger.

I dont disagree with your thoughts about the commercial or the tech, but the mediums are not the same. And we will see more about the tech very soon I am betting.

Didnt both GD and Golf have white drivers on the cover this month? I know Golf did.
If you add up the TM website (doubt callaway is putting up white drivers right now) and most of the golf equipment sites, it would still be lower than print and TV together. And it would not even be close. Golf & GD combined is HUGE. NBC or CBS broadcast of tournament is even bigger.

I dont disagree with your thoughts about the commercial or the tech, but the mediums are not the same. And we will see more about the tech very soon I am betting.

I guess I'm the only one who doesn't mind the commercial? I think it's catchy. I agree with you TC, the tech behind the driver is getting lost with the flash of the color. I think those who see it though will research it, and then find out the tech. Just my thought though.

Well, you would certainly know more than myself on the matter. To me, the tech is the real winner and I hope it doesn't get overshadowed. I hope you're right, I hope we see some more about that aspect soon. I'm not trying to hate on TM and their marketing, just being honest.

Well, you would certainly know more than myself on the matter. To me, the tech is the real winner and I hope it doesn't get overshadowed. I hope you're right, I hope we see some more about that aspect soon. I'm not trying to hate on TM and their marketing, just being honest.

I agree completely on the tech losing out. I hope they go after that in marketing and expect they will at release.

I agree completely on the tech losing out. I hope they go after that in marketing and expect they will at release.

I think they are looking for a little product differentiation right now. Last year, we saw the tech commercials quite a bit ie distance from speedp vs distance from customization.

It's annoying, but I think it's definitely effective for the purpose of introducing the line.

I see the fairway has made it's way into your sig JB.

It has. I prefer it to the SuperFast.

It has. I prefer it to the SuperFast.

Glad to hear it. Stock shaft still holding up well? A good fit for the head?

Glad to hear it. Stock shaft still holding up well? A good fit for the head?

Its doing okay for me. Have only played one round with it, so we will see if it stays.

Its doing okay for me. Have only played one round with it, so we will see if it stays.

Oh, I thought you have had at least a couple with it now. Cool. Glad it's working for you so far.

Whats the differences in the R11 and R11 TP? I wonder if they will come out with an R11 Superdeep....now that is WOW!!!

perhaps TM's strategy is to get the consumer's attention with the white and then give them the 'new car smell' of the tech goodies? Maybe they feel that if they led with the technology that it may give people the 'glazed over' look? Or perhaps it's the let's shock them with the color first and then after that initial shock is gone then it's all about it being just driver that happens to be white
the technology is getting lost, and to me, that's a shame.

Whats the differences in the R11 and R11 TP? I wonder if they will come out with an R11 Superdeep....now that is WOW!!!

I bet the biggest difference is the stock shaft offering.

perhaps TM's strategy is to get the consumer's attention with the white and then give them the 'new car smell' of the tech goodies? Maybe they feel that if they led with the technology that it may give people the 'glazed over' look? Or perhaps it's the let's shock them with the color first and then after that initial shock is gone then it's all about it being just driver that happens to be white

That's definitely a possibility. Seems rather logical, and more than likely what they are doing.

I say bring on the technology. I will swing a robotic dog if it helps me play better.

I read somewhere that a successful commercial is either really really great and gets people talking about it, or just really bad and gets people talking about it. Either way it looks like they achieved their goal. My biggest problem with it is the fact that the photoshoping is poorly done as the black background on the R11 picture doesn't mesh with the main black background. But that is because I am weird :D. I do want to see something that tells us why this is the best (in their opinion) other than it is white.

I Tapped, I Talked

Hello Guys,
As I mentioned earlier in the week, I went to the Taylormade Performance Lab yesterday for a fitting for the R11 driver and fairway woods. In addition, they had the R11 hybrids there so I got to see those as well.
First of all, I would like to tell you that the cost of the fitting was the best money I have EVER spent on the game of golf. The first thing they did with me was put on all kinds of velcro straps with sensors on them all over my body. Then I took swings with a driver and 6 iron, which measured everything that you, can think of. At the conclusion of that process, they brought an animated figure on the screen, which was I. I was really impressed with all the information that I could see. I will never buy another piece of Taylormade equipment without going through this process.
Here are the results of my driver fitting and I was quite surprised and very happy with the end results.

Ball Speed LA Ball Spin
R9 supertri 9.5(current club) 148.3 12.9 3602

R11 TP Blur Stiff 9 – Neutral 151.3 14.0 3411

R11 TP Matrix HD Stiff 9 150.2 12.4 2528

The Matrix setup had the face angle closed and the shaft setting on lower. As you can see, my current driver is spinning too much. The numbers with the Matrix shaft was perfect which translates into an extra 10 yards of distance according to the computer. My swing speed averaged 102 mph.
I ended up hitting the fairway woods and hybrids and let me tell you, I was smoking them once I got the right shafts in there.
For the fairway woods, I went with the Matrix HD 7. That shaft in the fairway woods is a $100 up charge and the total cost for my 3 wood is $399.00 with the upgrade,but I feel this is good fit for me. I feel that a solid 3 wood that you can trust is so important!
The Hybrids I hit the best were the ones with the RIP 85 HB Stiff. They were so solid.
I wanted to look very carefully at these clubs and report back to you on the cosmetics of the club. The white is absolutely BEAUTIFUL! The way it sits on the ground and the black face really shows your face angle at address. The alignment logos on top of the club head in person do not appear close to the heal according to my eye. I found no issue with that for me.
Overall, this was the best thing that I have ever done for my golf game and I highly recommend it.

Last edited:
which shaft were you playing in the ST and did you get distances for the numbers above?

R11 driver loft selection

R11 driver loft selection

is it a better move to go with a higher lofted club that you can adjust down or to go with a lower lofted club that can be adjusted up? Negative ramifications to either?

P.S. I know - go get fit and find out. Let's take that out of the equation for now.

unfortunately it's hard to do that since what you're asking is dependent on an individual's game and swing. The best thing to do would go hit both options you've outlined and see what initially works best and then go from there.
is it a better move to go with a higher lofted club that you can adjust down or to go with a lower lofted club that can be adjusted up? Negative ramifications to either?

P.S. I know - go get fit and find out. Let's take that out of the equation for now.

Back