My Weight Loss Journey

Thanks guys. I have no Idea what I will look like. Never been normal weight. Hmmm. I will have to rethink my whole wardrobe. Simple polos work best on me now, but I will be able to branch out more.

And think about how fast I will be able to swing... I can already put a lot of heat on it...

Either way, remember it's a journey. Keep your eye on the destination, but most importantly, keep your eye on the road. I've got a ton of faith in you. You're a smart kid and have some real drive.

Lost about 2-3 pounds this week. Hard to tell, my scale sucks. Any reccomendations for good, cheap, accurate ones?

I made some missteps this week. I went out with friends and ate more than I should have, and had two days where I strayed from the no-calorie drinks rule, which is probably why the loss is lower this week. I am sorry, and will try to do better this upcoming week. Id like to believe my willpower is high enough to overcome these shortcomings.

I honestly want to change. I hate not being able to find clothes in my size, I want to look good in my prom photos in a couple months, I want to not be the one people who do not know me stare at. It is hard though, and, like this week, I will try to faithfully report places that I fail.

Update next week.

Lost about 2-3 pounds this week. Hard to tell, my scale sucks. Any reccomendations for good, cheap, accurate ones?

I made some missteps this week. I went out with friends and ate more than I should have, and had two days where I strayed from the no-calorie drinks rule, which is probably why the loss is lower this week. I am sorry, and will try to do better this upcoming week. Id like to believe my willpower is high enough to overcome these shortcomings.

I honestly want to change. I hate not being able to find clothes in my size, I want to look good in my prom photos in a couple months, I want to not be the one people who do not know me stare at. It is hard though, and, like this week, I will try to faithfully report places that I fail.

Update next week.

They are simply missteps and not failures. While it's great to recognize where there is slack to pick up- don't confuse that with being ridiculously hard/down on yourself.

I mean- you lost 3 lbs this week. If you lost 3 lbs a week you would loose 150 lbs a year. Nothing wrong with that at all!

Tapatalk- for when work is not enough...

Aggro -- You are doing really well buddy and just know all of us slip, fall, & then rise to the occasion. Keep the little train chugging up the hill and you will be heading down the other side before long..

Update next week.

First absolutely CONGRATULATIONS on losing 2 - 3lbs this week!! That is fantastic and BTW, is exactly the amount of weight that people who lose weight AND keep it off for long term or forever lose a week. If you lose 2lbs a week for an entire year that is 104lbs!!! So, 2lbs is great work. Now quit beating yourself up and no need to apologize.

As for straying from the no calorie drinks, let me tell you that there is no shame in straying. We all do it. I did this week. I wanted to not have any alcoholic drinks at all this month but I had a bad day at work on Monday, came home, and had a few (and those of you who are following me on Twitter know how my typing was after those few). Was I mad at myself. Yes. But then I just shrugged and said to myself, "I'm human. I'm going to have days where I sometimes make a decision that I shouldn't have but I'm not going to let it derail me". So, shake it off and keep going. You are doing a fantastic job. You will achieve your goal and I know you will look fantastic at your prom, regardless because you have started down the journey to change your life.

Now, for a scale recommendation, Taylor makes some of the best measuring devices in many areas (kitchen scales/thermometers, scientific measuring devices) and make a really nice but inexpensive digital scale: http://www.amazon.com/Taylor-7009-Electronic-Lithium-Scale/dp/B0006B5NGY/ref=sr_1_6?s=bedbath&ie=UTF8&qid=1296084509&sr=1-6

This is the scale I have and it is always within .5 of the scale at my Weight Watchers meetings. I would recommend it to you as it is sturdy and doesn't require recallibration

Thanks for the support guys.

Mary, add me on twitter, I am jacobhrobertson. Also, thanks for the scale idea. I just got a job today, so I should be able to buy it once my first paycheck comes in. I wil get payed by the month, so maybe I will be below 300 by then. Unless, which may be possible, my scale is wildly inaccurate and I way a lot more than I thought.

Mary, add me on twitter, I am jacobhrobertson. Also, thanks for the scale idea. I just got a job today, so I should be able to buy it once my first paycheck comes in.

sweet! Were you working?

Bridges-

My school does an afterschool program in which students are allowed to work 2 1/2 hours, about 3 days a week, at 8 dollars an hour. 20 bucks a day is a lot better than 10 bucks a week allowance.

Mary, add me on twitter, I am jacobhrobertson. Also, thanks for the scale idea. I just got a job today, so I should be able to buy it once my first paycheck comes in. I wil get payed by the month, so maybe I will be below 300 by then. Unless, which may be possible, my scale is wildly inaccurate and I way a lot more than I thought.

Added to Twitter (warn you, I talk a lot of golf ha-ha) and nice on getting a job. You'll get the scale in no time flat.

I added you to my twitter ditters....

Bridges-

My school does an afterschool program in which students are allowed to work 2 1/2 hours, about 3 days a week, at 8 dollars an hour. 20 bucks a day is a lot better than 10 bucks a week allowance.

$80-$100 bucks a week is not to shabby for being in school. Thats at least a new golf club every week and half! lol

$80-$100 bucks a week is not to shabby for being in school. Thats at least a new golf club every week and half! lol

I hear that! XFT's, here I come, lol.

Good luck aggro I'm pulling for you! I'm the opposite way (trying to gain weight) but I know you can do it!

It looks like everything has been covered here, my only advice man, be patient. Don't give up!

Congrats. Even with the slip ups you were still able to reach your weekly goal.

You're doing great, dude. I'm here for anything you need.

Wow. Sometimes, you just get slapped in the face by information.

I weighed on a set of very good scales at the school Friday. I am in a lot worse shape than I thought.

I just stared at it. I was shocked. I was scared. How could I have let it get that bad? I knew my scales were off, but not that far off. I know this scale is accurate, too.

The game plan remains the same. I know it is working, my pants are fitting better every day. What is scary is, I probably weighed 340 + when I started. The goal remains the same, but I may allow myself a few extra weeks to complete it. Say, end of January?

Also, if you guys do not mind, could I post a daily log of the exercise I do, the foods I eat, so we can try to ID weakpoints? I have got to do this, while I am still young, still strong, and your input will help me.

That would be cool, the more info you can provide the better, I know there a lot of us that will be taking some tips and hints from you

Good job man. I'm not sure if you've tried it, but propel zero tastes great and has 0 calories and 0 carbs. I wish you the best on your journey!

Hey, don't let the fact you now know how much you weigh bum you out. You know and information is good. You've made a plan and you have the will power to stick to it.

And post away! It won't bother us at all.

Keep up the good work you've started.

Great job on getting started. I know the journey will be a tough one, but it will be worth it in the end.

I was a pretty fat kid and I remember when I started high school, my dad got me lifting weights and I lost 50lbs in a six month time span.

I also remember the "Presidential Fitness Tests" and in the fall I could only do 1 push up and was terrible at every event.

By spring, I could do 15 pullups, 100+ pushups and was in the elite category where you received a signed certificate. That was the start of my journey. I've lived and breathed fitness from then on.

When I graduated and turned 18, I went and got my personal training certification and trained people for 6 years while completing college.

As for training and nutrition tips, in the beginning, just keep it simple. It sounds like you have sports specific training at the moment but in general I would focus on moderate weight, 10-15 reps and keep a fast pace with short rest to keep the HR up to burn more calories. Cardio start with 20 min 3x week and add more only when you start to plateau. I always advocated the least amount of work to achieve progress as it allows more future ability to add as needed. Your body will always want to adapt so you need the ability to adjust which is why it's recommend to start easy and make it progressively harder/longer as you go.

Nutrition wise, again keep it simple. The less processed the food you can eat, generally the better. Stay away from highly processed carbs as they are the "emptiest" calories with not much nutritional value. I recommend keeping protein at 30-40%, carbs at 40-50% and fat around 20% of total calories. Adjust up or down on the carbs based on your enengylevel and go from there.

That's my basic advice and the closer you get to your goals, the tighter you'll need to make your program. Typically the last lbs are the hardest and that is when you can take some more drastic measures such as low carbs, extreme cardio but those are really last ditch efforts to hit a tough goal as they generally can't be maintained long term.

I think it''s great to have specific goals and wish you all the luck. It really is up to you but we're all here for moral support and any advice we can give to help.

One additional recommendation is to take at least one day of physical rest per week and allow a "cheat day" for your food. Don't go crazy but keep your diet tight for 6 days and allow a little splurge on your off day. It really helps the mental side of it all if you only have to make it six days, not weeks months etc.

Breakfast-
12 oz. water
1 Equate Men's Multi Vitamin
2 soft boiled eggs.
Dash of salt

Keep it going man. Weight is good to know but it's a number that you can control. Focus on how you're feeling and how your clothes are fitting. You'll get to your goal.

Back