TaylorMade R11 Driver & Fairway Wood Review Thread

Dude, you read my mind. There has to be more to it. My guess is that the ASP controls some sort of ball joint assembly inside the driver that can rotate the head around the hossel negating the effects of the FCT. I could be right out to lunch though.

I swear FCT just does loft and does not twist the head what so ever, while ASP controls twisting of the head.

That seems like what they are portraying, but that seems too simple for TM to do. Doesn't it open or close the face to put draw or fade bias on the ball? It can't be just for aesthetics.

Watch the video on the TM website main page. The ASP raises or lowers the head off the ground to give the appearance of an open or closed face. So if the club is not on the ground then it does nothing.

I swear FCT just does loft and does not twist the head what so ever, while ASP controls twisting of the head.

That's what I'm saying. Somehow the ASP adjusts the head, to negate the change in the face angle brought by the FCT, thus changing the loft, but not the face angle. The question is how is this done aside from just resting the club on the ground, because that is not a permanent adjustment, it could change once you re-grip the club. Therefore, there must be something more behind it.

Watch the video on the TM website main page. The ASP raises or lowers the head off the ground to give the appearance of an open or closed face. So if the club is not on the ground then it does nothing.

So they basically just made that feature for the mental side of the game...? I kinda figured when in some video they said "confidence in the appearance of your driver is what gives distance"

I guess the way around that would be to put it down, then lift it up off.

So they basically just made that feature for the mental side of the game...? I kinda figured when in some video they said "confidence in the appearance of your driver is what gives distance"

That's what I meant earlier when I said "eye pleasing". I'm really suspect at this point.

While that could be true, that is not a concrete figure. So a SuperTri player will automatically get more distance becuase he has more confidence in the R11? I don't know how they could say that legally. It's too subjective.

If you do rest the driver on the ground it is still going to open up the face and if good contact is made will still strike the ball with an open face. no? I'm so confused now... if it is just for appearance that is very disappointing.

I guess the way around that would be to put it down, then lift it up off.

Which throws back to my point earlier that ASP does the same thing as rotating the club in your grip.

Which throws back to my point earlier that ASP does the same thing as rotating the club in your grip.

Very true. This is all just speculation though. Until we get real answers, we simply don't know.

If you do rest the driver on the ground it is still going to open up the face and if good contact is made will still strike the ball with an open face. no? I'm so confused now... if it is just for appearance that is very disappointing.

I completely agree with you. Seems a little...odd?

OEM Kevin

Sounds like the ASP changes loft the same way my 56* Vokey wedge changes loft... It can become a 58 or 60 wedge pretty easily. Pfft it's had that technology!!!

I'm excited about it anyway since I never had the R9. Now I'll get to experiment with shafts easier and I like the white.

I like you Taylormade, you're my boy, but I call shenanigans on this one. Even if I ground the club, it seems like the ASP would sink into the grass thus not give much resistance on the closed setting. I'll probably leave it on open so the ASP sits flush on the club and just keep it neutral with my hands.

Oh and by the way, if I'm wrong I'll gladly admit that I'm wrong. I hope the ASP does something more. Please make me wrong Taylormade! I'm pulling for you!

Hopefully JB can confirm this one? This is a puzzler. On DJ's video it showed him hitting a draw, they set the face to 2* open and he started hitting a fade so...?

Dude, you read my mind. There has to be more to it. My guess is that the ASP controls some sort of ball joint assembly inside the driver that can rotate the head around the hossel negating the effects of the FCT. I could be right out to lunch though.

This statement cracked me up 9i! I think you just made up more technology than Taylormade did! Haha

Hopefully JB can confirm this one? This is a puzzler. On DJ's video it showed him hitting a draw, they set the face to 2* open and he started hitting a fade so...?

DJ could probably hit a draw and fade with an R7. Just sayin...

DJ could probably hit a draw and fade with an R7. Just sayin...

Agreed, but I'm still just basing all my arguments around the fact that I can't beleive TM would put in some useless feature like this just for Aesthetics.. it must do something!!

Agreed, but I'm still just basing all my arguments around the fact that I can't beleive TM would put in some useless feature like this just for Aesthetics.. it must do something!!

Haha. You're like me Dent. I want the ASP to do something. I'm pulling for TM to prove me wrong. Look at my sig! I just don't see how it can really do anything.

Just got off the phone with Taylormade and the ASP plate is used as a "bumper" when the club is at address to the Open, closed or neutral position. There is no movement of the club of any kind when moving the ASP plate. I asked about the fact that cant you do that with your grip and they said this would make it so you do not have to make any grip changes. They claim that the shaft you can add up to 1 degree + or - and when you find your right loft, it will stay true to that loft and the ASP will get the clubface at address in a position of open, closed or neutral without changing the loft.

Just got off the phone with Taylormade and the ASP plate is used as a "bumper" when the club is at address to the Open, closed or neutral position. There is no movement of the club of any kind when moving the ASP plate. I asked about the fact that cant you do that with your grip and they said this would make it so you do not have to make any grip changes. They claim that the shaft you can add up to 1 degree + or - and when you find your right loft, it will stay true to that loft and the ASP will get the clubface at address in a position of open, closed or neutral without changing the loft.

Figured thats what it would be. Just a way of helping you out so you dont have to change your grip or rotate the club in your hands and just make your normal swing without adding in another thought of changing the grip. Its not "draw dropping" technology but I see why they made it. Might as well add it, if you can right?

So to get this correct.. if it is 2* open it still will promote a fade then right? Like we all thought it was supposed to do?

So to get this correct.. if it is 2* open it still will promote a fade then right? Like we all thought it was supposed to do?

I believe that is correct Dent.

All of that kafuffle and panicking for nothing eh?

I'm not sure what kafuffle is for sure but I'm inclined to agree with you, lol

Back