Golf: A Gentleman's Game?

I mispoke. I didn't mean jeans were being considered business casual. I only meant that a lot of places around here (and in wisconsin) allowed jeans on any day and not just on fridays. I have never (and will never) be that lucky!

The company I worked for allowed jeans whenever for the office staff. The president of the company never wore jeans to the office, but both vice presidents did nearly every day. Most people followed suit.

Can I ask what professional jobs you have seen allow jeans to the work place each day? Sure many blue collar jobs allow that (that has not changed over the years), but I have not seen a whole lot of professional jobs allow denim each and every day as part of allowable attire. Again, only in my travels and different paths, but just curious.

A lot of my friends in computer programming seem to wear jeans most (if not all) of the time. In wisconsin I had two friends that work as accountants (cubicle rats) and they were allowed the same freedom. I think it is becoming more common in "professions" that don't require face to face interaction with a customer. I would imagine most of the people who have to be a "face" for the company abide by at least business casual standards, if not full professional attire.

A lot of my friends in computer programming seem to wear jeans most (if not all) of the time. In wisconsin I had two friends that work as accountants (cubicle rats) and they were allowed the same freedom. I think it is becoming more common in "professions" that don't require face to face interaction with a customer. I would imagine most of the people who have to be a "face" for the company abide by at least business casual standards, if not full professional attire.

I think you are correct. That internal office staff can get away with other looks that some consider to be a lesser look. So that goes back to the question at hand, if it is used only as internal and for those not "being seen" should it be used as golf attire (on places that do not allow it already)?

I still think its kind of funny that so many look at the apparel that is used in golf as "stuffy" and "needing to evolve", yet none of the other sports have evolved much either. You dont hear any outcry about it, it just so happens that golf is full of other rules and gets looked at differently because of it.

The truth is, for those that do not want to adhere to apparel policies, there are places that offer that.

I think you are correct. That internal office staff can get away with other looks that some consider to be a lesser look. So that goes back to the question at hand, if it is used only as internal and for those not "being seen" should it be used as golf attire (on places that do not allow it already)?

I still think its kind of funny that so many look at the apparel that is used in golf as "stuffy" and "needing to evolve", yet none of the other sports have evolved much either. You dont hear any outcry about it, it just so happens that golf is full of other rules and gets looked at differently because of it.

The truth is, for those that do not want to adhere to apparel policies, there are places that offer that.

Most "regular people" don't play baseball or football though. The last time I played football I wore underarmor, a t-shirt, and gymn shorts and it was appropriate. I wouldnt wear that to walmart!

Spoiler
I find this amusing and partial on topic
walmart.JPG

Most "regular people" don't play baseball or football though. The last time I played football I wore underarmor, a t-shirt, and gymn shorts and it was appropriate. I wouldnt wear that to walmart!

Spoiler
walmart.JPG

But did you play in an organized game of football? Clearly not. They have uniforms (or dress codes) just like most sports do. The game of golf has them, but has offered an alternative to those that dont want to adhere by having courses that are available for those to dress down. In an ironic twist, just like football or basketball. You can go play at the local park in anything you want (muni), but if you want to play somewhere with others in an organized environment, uniforms (dress code) are used. Tennis is another perfect example here. Most tennis clubs dont allow denim. Sure you can go to a local park and play tennis in anything you would like, but try to join a club or play in a tournament and it is frowned upon.

A few years back Andre A. tried to buck that trend and even adhered to the policies of Wimbledon and wore the all white.

I understand both sides of the argument here. I'm definitely a laid back person, but I play private clubs regularly and I can go from appropriately dressed on the course to casually dressed for a beach bar by untucking my shirt and switching out golf shoes for sandals. You don't have to wear a Prada suit and Bruno Magli's to meet the dress-code.

Spoiler
walmart.JPG

Off topic:
Can I ask why you wouldn't wear that to walmart? I see lots of people here wearing gym shorts and a tshirt to walmart, I do it myself also. You feel like you need to dress appropriate(as in collared shirt, nice shorts) to
go in there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wear anything to wally world. I dont look as odd as the local drag queen.

I just dont wear gym shorts if not doing something athletic. I think it just looks sloppy.

From a pragmatic viewpoint- I want pockets for my wallet/keys/phone

I wear anything to wally world. I dont look as odd as the local drag queen.

You have an unlimited supply of rope, so you just pile it up until you can walk across.

I just dont wear gym shorts if not doing something athletic. I think it just looks sloppy.

From a pragmatic viewpoint- I want pockets for my wallet/keys/phone

Man, we live in a crazy world. I thought everyone wore gym shorts to walmart, well guys anyways.

My gym shorts have pockets.

Man, we live in a crazy world. I thought everyone wore gym shorts to walmart, well guys anyways.

My gym shorts have pockets.

know whats really messed up? I wear jeans to church every week but wouldn't step on the first tee with them.

Think these guys are heading out for a quick 9 after grabbing some balls at wally world?

2465.jpg

2430.jpg

Can I ask what professional jobs you have seen allow jeans to the work place each day? Sure many blue collar jobs allow that (that has not changed over the years), but I have not seen a whole lot of professional jobs allow denim each and every day as part of allowable attire. Again, only in my travels and different paths, but just curious.

I'm a Civil Engineer in the Navy, and while I where a uniform. Most of our civilian project managers wear Jeans for practical purposes.

You have an unlimited supply of rope, so you just pile it up until you can walk across.

Makes sense, what's the rock and twig for, distraction?

Four putt got it right . A Game Of Honor

Four putt got it right . A Game Of Honor

Takes a pretty big pair of Bridgestones for a 10 post member to come into this thread and get back on topic. How dare you!

LOL. Good work.

Kevin

I thought about this today as I drove past a "public" course and seen a guy on 18 in gym shorts, I did a double take as it's a course I've played frequently in Homestead and I always took the sign at the door that reads "Proper dress required" as truth. Does that mean I won't go back there and play, of course not, it's a great summer course :p

That got me thinking, I do wear very casual clothing in the summer when I go to the night golf course, actually I wear Adidas Climalite running pants and a long sleeve Climalite shirt. But Danny, longlseeves, it's 100* down there at night in July? Yes it is, but we also have mosquitoes out the wazoo and apparently I have the proper blood type to sustain them, and I usually wait to tee off til late so I'm basically the only one there. Yet during season (now) I play that same course, and it's as basic as you can get par 61 pitch and putt, but I dress nicely and wear what I would wear to play anywhere else, muni or private.

Takes a pretty big pair of Bridgestones for a 10 post member to come into this thread and get back on topic. How dare you!

LOL. Good work.

Kevin

Hahahahahahaha

To me it all boils down to respect. TC's point is pretty much in line with my own. I want respect the course, the game, the traditions and most importantly those whose company I'm in. As JB stated stated loosely, there is a time and place such as wearing certain clothes into a place of worship. A golf course to me personally is a cathedral, treat it as such.

Respect.

insert witty sig line here. Tapatalk

There is a lot more to showing respect for the game and the course than just how one dresses. Of course you should follow the attire policies of the course where you play at, but if you do that then act like boor, hold up play for the groups behind you, fail to repair divots and pitch marks, ignore etiquette, etc. then I don't care if you dress like a pro, you've got no business being on the course. The simple fact that you dressed properly is far overbalanced by your poor behavior. I've played the game too long to believe implicitly in the adage that the clothes make the man (or woman).

Actions speak louder than trousers.

Because it is not what the tradition of the game is built on. Some like not wearing clothes at all, and others don't mind, should we not allow people just to play naked? Or better yet, I like to drive my car rather than a cart. I can see why it might bother some on the course, but our car is pretty quiet and others probably would not mind at all as long as no damage was done and we stayed on the path, why not allow cars out there?

For the less ridiculous, how about this. I think that I should be allowed to play with a driver that is larger than 460cc. I also think that many others would like that as well. But I want to keep a real handicap, why cant they change the rules for that too?

The reason, because the rules are set based on tradition and MOST do not have a problem with them. For those that do, they offer an alternative of other courses that have less strict rules.

Dockers and a polo is not the tradition the game was built on either. Even plus fours are relatively modern wear when compared to the game as it was played in the 17th century. What is proper has been usually dictated by the typical casual outdoor wear of the people who play the game in any given era. For most of its history, golf has been played by the wealthy, so it is those styles which have ruled the game until the modern era. Yet when this topic comes up, the mantra is always that this or that is not "traditional".

What is traditional depends on what era you are referring to. In the later part of the 19th century that was plus fours, coat and tie. I don't see anyone saying that we should be wearing that. :D In the modern era, it's been a collared shirt, usually polo style, and trousers or Bermuda type shorts. Again because this is the casual outdoor style of the country club types who dominated the amateur game until the mid 70's and beyond. As public golf has become more prevalent, dress has been relaxed at public courses.

That is all part of competing for the golfing dollar. Why drive away the guy who wants to get in a quick 9 on the way home from the shop just because he's wearing blue jeans? His money is still green. We have all seen the threads about private courses closing during the recession. Who's to say that some of them might have weathered the storm if they had relaxed their standards just a bit? Maybe even gone public? I don't know, but I'll bet that most of them didn't even consider such an appalling notion. My home course has maintained its status as the busiest in the state throughout. In 2009 we still returned more that $750,000 profit to the recreation district, when other local public courses were struggling to meet expenses.

We may have a fairly relaxed dress code, but we also have a 3 nice golf courses, well maintained and pleasant places to play. We have a good friendly staff and excellent support facilities (large grass range, dedicated lesson area, separate putting and chipping greens, etc.). We seem to be doing something right. :confused2:

wow... what a thread!

I think it has diverged from what the original question was... a gentleman's game...

I think the term "gentleman" is really the thing that should be looked at. My understanding (and I am not that old :D ) is that the term "gentleman" was reserved for people of a certain class and a certain status... there were some rules and etiquette that also went along with that. However, I would argue that the term "gentleman" has lost it's meaning over time... may I refer to the "gentleman's" club that my friends took me to last month ;)...

That being said, I think that all the golf clothes talk is pretty lame... jeans or no jeans, collared shirt or tee shirt... khakis, shorts, sweats, dockers, whatever...

If what someone is wearing when they play with you bothers you, perhaps you have a problem. In LA, dark jeans are considered business casual :)...

I love all of the rules that have to do with honor and integrity. I could give a crap what you wear as long as you recognize that the guy who putts first is the furthest out, that you don't step on my line, and that you wait for my GF who is going to be teeing off at the red tees. As long as you know the rules, it is all good.

i miss going to a good "gentlemens" club... if only golf were a "gentlemens" game anymore... id bring more dolla billz folded length wise for the beer cart girls

That is all part of competing for the golfing dollar. Why drive away the guy who wants to get in a quick 9 on the way home from the shop just because he's wearing blue jeans? His money is still green. We have all seen the threads about private courses closing during the recession. Who's to say that some of them might have weathered the storm if they had relaxed their standards just a bit? Maybe even gone public? I don't know, but I'll bet that most of them didn't even consider such an appalling notion. My home course has maintained its status as the busiest in the state throughout. In 2009 we still returned more that $750,000 profit to the recreation district, when other local public courses were struggling to meet expenses.

We may have a fairly relaxed dress code, but we also have a 3 nice golf courses, well maintained and pleasant places to play. We have a good friendly staff and excellent support facilities (large grass range, dedicated lesson area, separate putting and chipping greens, etc.). We seem to be doing something right. :confused2:

Because it is a choice on where a club decides to draw the line. The line has been drawn with denim and many are glad that they draw it there. Some courses allow it and most have no issues with that, but some courses choose something else and I am still not sure why that is a problem. Golf has given people choices. For those that want to play with no dress code, they have given courses that offer none and for those that look at the golf lifestyle differently, they offer courses and clubs that cater to that side as well.

Because it is a choice on where a club decides to draw the line. The line has been drawn with denim and many are glad that they draw it there. Some courses allow it and most have no issues with that, but some courses choose something else and I am still not sure why that is a problem. Golf has given people choices. For those that want to play with no dress code, they have given courses that offer none and for those that look at the golf lifestyle differently, they offer courses and clubs that cater to that side as well.

I feel the same way. What is the issue? There is a course out there for everyone. There is no right or wrong answer to this debate. I still think it has a lot to do with where you are at in the world. Did anyone notice how Bill Murray was dressed yesterday at Pebble Beach? Wonder if they would allow me to play there in that shirt? If not.....why the double standard?

We have a wide range of courses here and what they will let a player get away with clothing wise. Typically I will always wear a khaki pant or shorts paired with a polo when I play. The only time I diverge from that is if its getting cold, but by then most people have stopped playing for the year anyway.

The course I always play with my dad on, while we do the khaki/polo... allows just about anything that provides a clean look. No ratty jeans, sleeveless shirts, etc. However you will see people out there playing in decent jeans and a decent t-shirts, or khakis and tshirts. Of course we also have courses here that some are very strict requiring pants(no shorts) and a collared shirt at all times.

Back