WGC Accenture Match Play Championship [Spoilers]

Aside from the Masters this is easily my favorite tournament of the year.

I'm curious, since a lot of us have already expressed our excitement regarding the only PGA match-play event of the year, why doesn't the PGA give us more opportunities to watch this exciting type of golf?

Thanks for link to the printable bracket. That was a nice touch.

Looking over the bracket my first thought is I can't wait too see the Dustin Johnson vs Bubba Watson matchup in the second round that is if they both make it. That's a whole lot of length there. Whoever wins that matchup conceivably will have to play the "short hitter" Tiger Woods. haha

Phil's path looks pretty tough. After Jones (WHO?) he'll probably have to face Fowler, Kuchar/Oosthuizen, then McDowell to make it into the final four.

Second round matchup for Lee Westwood, possible against my boy Anthony Kim. Thats gonna be a great match!!!

EDIT: WHY ARN"T WE DOING A PICK THE WINNER BRACKET CONTEST?!?! We really should considereing the strength of the community here.

Last edited:
How do they come up with the seeding? I think the seeding this year is no good. Tiger as a 1 seed, while GMac is a 2, and tiger's one seed is seeded ahead of Dustin Johnson (4 seed), reigning fedex cup champ Jim Furyk (3 seed), Ernie Els (3 seed) and Matt Kuchar (4 seed)? McIlroy with one win is a 2 seed facing Johnathon Byrd who has two wins since rory won his one. mark wilson is a 13 seed? Those are some interesting seedings if you ask me.

.....But it does lead to some very interesting first round matchups, much less what exciting matchups await in the later rounds. watney-kim, goose-choi, molinari-moore, stricker-mannassero; allenby-fisher, #12-cink, Quiros-Yang; clark-villegas, els-overton, bubba-haas, dustin-mark wilson, padraig-ogilvy, furyk-palmer, Mcilroy-byrd, mahan-o'hair, Zach Johnson-Rose;
what an excellent grouping of matches, not bad for the first round

How do they come up with the seeding?

They go by world rankings. #1 (Westwood) vs. #64 (Stenson) so on and so forth so you would take top 4 (Westy, Kaymer, Woods, Mickelson) and they would be the #1's, next 4 would be 2's so on and so forth. Only time someone outside the top 64 is in is if someone on top 64 WD's then they abide by rankings 65, 66, so on to replace that player.

Poulty...FTW

I also think Camillo will go a few rounds.

Aside from the Masters this is easily my favorite tournament of the year.

I'm curious, since a lot of us have already expressed our excitement regarding the only PGA match-play event of the year, why doesn't the PGA give us more opportunities to watch this exciting type of golf?

TV networks are scared of match play, because there's no guarantee you're going to get 2 big names in the final of the event. The final of the tournament in the first year that it was played was Andrew Magee vs Jeff Maggert, which wasn't exactly going to move the needle. In stroke play events, there's much more of a chance to have more big names on TV. Also, as much as it pains me to say this, watching the final in this tournament is BRUTAL, so much dead time in between shots.

One other thing: the European Tour has their own match play event in May (http://www.volvoworldmatchplay.com/), and then there's always a big match play event at the end of the year in either the President's Cup or the Ryder Cup. I'd say having a small number of match play events makes them all special, too much match play might dilute the appeal of those events.

Im shocked that anybody is even thinking about this. Its Tiger Freaking Woods! He is back and he will win!

Its good to know that I am not the only Tiger Woods fan.

I love filing out my bracket for this tournament. If only I could get a better office pool going on this one!

They go by world rankings. #1 (Westwood) vs. #64 (Stenson) so on and so forth so you would take top 4 (Westy, Kaymer, Woods, Mickelson) and they would be the #1's, next 4 would be 2's so on and so forth. Only time someone outside the top 64 is in is if someone on top 64 WD's then they abide by rankings 65, 66, so on to replace that player.

That makes good sense i suppose.

My Team is Picked :)

Bill Haas
Stewart Cink
Paul Casey
Graeme McDowell
Ian Poulter
Martin Kaymer
Camilo Villegas
Francesco Molinari
Retief Goosen
Martin Laird

Not a chance for Tiger to win this event.Not even 1 in 64 chance for Tiger at this point.I'll take #64 ranked player over Tiger this week.The euros should have a strong showing this week,especially England.I personally can't wait,love match play golf.

Got my team locked and loaded and I predict that I finish dead last this week. I don't like my selections at all but I don't know what else to do with this one. It's really tough this week.

Got my team locked and loaded and I predict that I finish dead last this week. I don't like my selections at all but I don't know what else to do with this one. It's really tough this week.

I feel the same way. I printed the bracket out today and tried to work my way through it. It didn't go well. HAHA

You guys are having trouble because its only MONDAY. One of your players will WD probably.

That is so right.

I've changed mine a few times then made the cardinal sin of seeing what the PGATour.com's power ranking looked like and while I didn't take their #1 (Justin Rose) this week it did weigh on my decision and I'm pretty sure the guy I put in will be a 1 and done. Dang it!

I gotta think this will be the most competetive match play in Years. Top to bottom all but a few mtaches should be real entertaining. I think the eventual winner will emerge from the Sam Snead bracket....I too am a TW fan but his game is not pointing in the direction of a win but maybe the shots will fall his way. I love Ross Fischer in the Hogan Bracket andCharl schwartzl in Jones Brackett. These boys flat out play...Should be a great five days.

This will be a good week of golf. And might I add, MY MAN, IAN JAMES POULTER IN DA HOUSEEEEE
ian-poulter_t640.jpg

AHEM!!!!!

I've changed mine a few times then made the cardinal sin of seeing what the PGATour.com's power ranking looked like and while I didn't take their #1 (Justin Rose) this week it did weigh on my decision and I'm pretty sure the guy I put in will be a 1 and done. Dang it!

I look at those as well, i also see who sobel and harig on espn.com like and avoid their picks like the plague

I'd love to see Tiger win this thing but I think he still has a ways to go mentally. I'm liking Phil for this one for some reason, it's about time for his putter streak to turn around.

Ahh the trash talking has already begun. I love it! I can assure you that Tiger will NOT be in my line up. Neither is IJP for that matter.

Respect #12's authority!!

Back