TaylorMade Tour Preferred CB Review Thread

for these in particular no. these felt right as rain from jump, the only thing I had to adjust to initially was the workability factor. I'm not a big worker of the ball but these clubs allow you to do that. at least for me so far.

Geez, all this talk of workability. Do people actually try to do this?

I think I noted somewhere in one of my initial write ups here that with my previous irons you could blast away and the ball would almost always go straight. these seem to move the ball more than my previous set. bleieve me, it's unintentional workability

yes, like I said these seem to not go as straight all the time like my previous irons did so I think there is a certain amount of workabiity to these. these really brought out my fade more and even let me draw the ball a bit where my previous set I couldn't at all. sorry just my thoughts

Like I said up above, it's more unintentional workability than trying to do it myself. just my thoughts though

exactl, and thats what these produce...LOVELY!

I believe a few people here might be confusing workable and forgiveness. Slicing a ball and/or hooking a ball is not working the ball around the course. It is a swing flaw normally and has little to do with the clubs.

of course it isn't...but if I can position my feet in accordance to how one would want to do in order to potentially produce a draw or a fade and see some sort of result of that intent more so with these irons more so than others then maybe there may be something to these clubs. not magic clubs but something different. it muight not make sense but it what I see and feel and just relaying my thoughts as best I can. Of course my swing is far from perfect so maybe it's to blame for some movement as well.

I believe a few people here might be confusing workable and forgiveness. Slicing a ball and/or hooking a ball is not working the ball around the course. It is a swing flaw normally and has little to do with the clubs.

of course it isn't...but if I can position my feet in accordance to how one would want to do in order to potentially produce a draw or a fade and see some sort of result of that intent more so with these irons more so than others then maybe there may be something to these clubs. not magic clubs but something different. it muight not make sense but it what I see and feel and just relaying my thoughts as best I can. Of course my swing is far from perfect so maybe it's to blame for some movement as well.

but adding a draw or fade has more to do than just foot position.

Anyway, question for everyone...what about these clubs most intrigue you?

Fair enough, but I do have to ask why you may be wanting to position your feet for draws and fades in the first place? I'm much more interested in a clubs' ability to offer a straight ball.

Perhaps next time you can just square up to a target (feet, club face, etc) and let me know how that works for you. I don't try to work golf balls unless I absolutely have to. I've seen how well these irons have helped One-T with a straight ball and with a nice ball flight so I'm curious as to how it's working for you as well.

of course
but adding a draw or fade has more to do than just foot position.

Anyway, question for everyone...what about these clubs most intrigue you?

really just to see if I can. I've seen some pretty consistent straight ball flight so far and thought I'd see if I could do some other things with the club too.
Fair enough, but I do have to ask why you may be wanting to position your feet for draws and fades in the first place? I'm much more interested in a clubs' ability to offer a straight ball.

Perhaps next time you can just square up to a target (feet, club face, etc) and let me know how that works for you. I don't try to work golf balls unless I absolutely have to. I've seen how well these irons have helped One-T with a straight ball and with a nice ball flight so I'm curious as to how it's working for you as well.

Ah, I see!!! I wasnt' sure I was following you there for a minute. Can you hit the rope hook me heysoos with these babies?

Ah, I see!!! I wasnt' sure I was following you there for a minute. Can you hit the rope hook me heysoos with these babies?

that can only be done by one person and successfully pulled off.

I don't equate these irons to the 'high and straight' variety as much as some others I've played recently. I'm normally trying to hit a straight ball, but I would think that the slightly smaller clubhead and thinner sole would be more helpful to those that wanted to work the ball as opposed to something like the a30S, SuperLaunch, Diablo Edge, D-Fy, etc. There are people who probably are interested in the 'workability' of these clubs, regardless of whether it's a great idea.

I don't think these are as high launching as other irons I've played either. Don't get me wrong, they do put the ball up in the air like I want them too, but not WAY up there like the sets I mentioned before. That said, Jrod hit a very high ball with them, so it's also up to the user. What I've found that I like is that they still offer a higher ballflight while being so light in the hands and without having a huge undercut cavity.

In terms of 'straightness', I do find that I'm able to control my shots better with these than previous irons I've used. Part of me thinks that the fact they are fit better for me contributes to that and part of me also thinks that a shorter shaft helps. The 7i looked to be at least a 1/2 inch shorter than the S3's. It seems that I don't really get along that well with longer shafts.

Great stuff so far everybody! Glad everyone is having success with these.

In terms of 'straightness', I do find that I'm able to control my shots better with these than previous irons I've used. Part of me thinks that the fact they are fit better for me contributes to that and part of me also thinks that a shorter shaft helps. The 7i looked to be at least a 1/2 inch shorter than the S3's. It seems that I don't really get along that well with longer shafts.

To clarify on this paragraph. I'm sure there are other reasons that I'm more accurate with these other than the two I listed. I just gave the those reasons because I have another set of irons fresh in my mind. I'm thinking that the weighting and built in forgiveness is a huge part of it as well.

I think with our skill levels there arent going to be very many of us trying to work the ball regardless of whether we are hitting Burners, S3's or CB's. Were just not that good. I just dont think someone can buy these irons and expect to get that out of them. And I dont think anyone is claiming that either. In the time Ive had with them and it has been limited, I saw high and straight shots. Hanks hit some towering balls with these. I saw the same thing. And at least a club shorter then my Burner 2.0 comparable club. And another thing to note, we were hitting off mats not grass. I think thats huge. Anyone hitting these off mats has to consider that. My guess is the ball flight might be a little lower and they might be a little more difficult to hit off the grass. I think in the end it will always come down to a golfers skill level when it comes to working a ball. And a skilled golfer will be able to work the ball with most any club he hits. And Im not that skilled. I'll take straight any day though. I liked what JB said, forgiving and workable are two different things. These seem to be very forgiving clubs with great feel and a great look.

And a great sound at impact!

Good post OEM.

Nice post OEM!

One thing that really stood out to me was just how solid these felt when you hit the ball. There was a very big difference between hitting these and the burner 2.0's. The CB's almost made the Burners seem hallow. And I would have never thought a club could make the Burners feel that way. I think it's the screw. Another thing I was pondering. What do you really compare these clubs to? What is a fair comparison? SGI irons isn't fair and not in the same ballpark. If you were looking at SGI clubs would you even consider these? I don't think so but maybe I'm wrong.

Tapatalk: not just for staffers.

One thing that really stood out to me was just how solid these felt when you hit the ball. There was a very big difference between hitting these and the burner 2.0's. The CB's almost made the Burners seem hallow. And I would have never thought a club could make the Burners feel that way. I think it's the screw. Another thing I was pondering. What do you really compare these clubs to? What is a fair comparison? SGI irons isn't fair and not in the same ballpark. If you were looking at SGI clubs would you even consider these? I don't think so but maybe I'm wrong.

good question Kevin. TC and I was about this on the way back from Florida and we didnt really have an answer of what to compare them to. I have to say I agree. These clubs just feel like a SOLID club. Its one thing for me ot just sit here and say how good it feels, but when people swing these they will understand

I definitely wouldn't compare them to the A3OS' or the S3's that's for sure. I think that they are technically a GI iron but they feature much less offset than most other irons in that category. It annoys me that I have no idea how they feel.

I definitely wouldn't compare them to the A3OS' or the S3's that's for sure. I think that they are technically a GI iron but they feature much less offset than most other irons in that category. It annoys me that I have no idea how they feel.

AWESOME!!! Thats how they feel!

They feel amazing. Just such a solid feeling to a well struck shot. That sound you heard is also how good they feel.

I agree on the comparison. And Im just not sure what does compare. Maybe a set of Mizunos?

They feel amazing. Just such a solid feeling to a well struck shot. That sound you heard is also how good they feel.

I agree on the comparison. And Im just not sure what does compare. Maybe a set of Mizunos?

Yeah, maybe the MX 300's or the JPX 800 pros? Looking down at these irons, they look very similar to the Nike Pro Cavities as well.

Did my post come across as me comparing them to those irons? IF so, my apologies. I was trying to say that they weren't like them.

If I were trying to come up with a similar iron, I would think maybe the pro cavities or R9's? I think I would describe them as beingon the lower end of what would be considered a GI club.

Tapatalk keeps me sane.

Yeah, maybe the MX 300's or the JPX 800 pros? Looking down at these irons, they look very similar to the Nike Pro Cavities as well.

they do look a lot like the pro cavities. but I can assure you they do not feel like Mizzies

Did my post come across as me comparing them to those irons? IF so, my apologies. I was trying to say that they weren't like them.

If I were trying to come up with a similar iron, I would think maybe the pro cavities or R9's? I think I would describe them as beingon the lower end of what would be considered a GI club.

Tapatalk keeps me sane.

I thought I had an idea of what you were talking about buddy. I agree with you too, the CB's look a lot like the R9's from address position.

As for feel, ive not hit an iron that I could compare these to. Especially when it comes to balance. They feel like they want to be swung.

Tapatalk keeps me sane.

As for feel, ive not hit an iron that I could compare these to. Especially when it comes to balance. They feel like they want to be swung.

Tapatalk keeps me sane.

Damnit! This is killing me. It's the one thing that seems to be universal, that these irons just have a certain it to them and it revolves around the feel. I need one of you guys to go and hit the R9 irons pronto and let me know how these compare in that department.

Back