TaylorMade Tour Preferred MB Review Thread

I will say that the ball flight I saw from these vs Jrod's Nike blades was night and day (when he hit them).

That's b/c Nike is merely a company that is focused on branding and their golf products and forgings stink! :bulgy-eyes:

That's b/c Nike is merely a company that is focused on branding and their golf products and forgings stink! :bulgy-eyes:

Hehe... I don't know the specifics but each time I hit these I start to believe more and more what Phil said about Tiger. These feel simply immaculate compared to my current blades.

Nice feedback so far Jake and JRod. Sounds to me like you both have some serious contenders in your bag. I can't wait for you guys to be able to get out to a grass range or on the course soon. That will be the true test.
If it doesn't happen before I know that on March 25 I'm heading to Omaha for a weekend of golf with my good buddy Dano. It should be fun, lots of golf, and lots of trying to determine which TM irons I'll be starting 2011 with.

P4B and Jrod,

Good stuff. They are nice and on my radar. P4B, it does look like your lies might be off slightly but I agree you should wait until you get on real grass. Mats have a tendency to not act right through impact especially if you are not a sweeper. I have said all along, true blades are not difficult at all to hit especially if your misses are either high on the face or low on the face which a game improvement iron will not help you with especially high on the face because the weight is more positioned toward the bottom.

Now, if your misses are toward the toe or heel a perimeter club will definitely work better for you.

Nice job guys. Keep feeding us the info. I am very interested in hitting these and comparing them to my Titleist 710 MB's.

P4B and Jrod,

Good stuff. They are nice and on my radar. P4B, it does look like your lies might be off slightly but I agree you should wait until you get on real grass. Mats have a tendency to not act right through impact especially if you are not a sweeper. I have said all along, true blades are not difficult at all to hit especially if your misses are either high on the face or low on the face which a game improvement iron will not help you with especially high on the face because the weight is more positioned toward the bottom.

Now, if your misses are toward the toe or heel a perimeter club will definitely work better for you.

Nice job guys. Keep feeding us the info. I am very interested in hitting these and comparing them to my Titleist 710 MB's.
Thanks for chiming in VT. I'm definitely going to get my fit done again as it's been a few years and I'm sure my swing has changed a lot. I'm going to get that scheduled ASAP and if standard lie doesn't cut it anymore I'll get the MBs bent immediately. I figure the best way for me to test them is being sure they indeed fit my swing. I'll post my fitting results and my progress in this thread for sure.

Thanks for chiming in VT. I'm definitely going to get my fit done again as it's been a few years and I'm sure my swing has changed a lot. I'm going to get that scheduled ASAP and if standard lie doesn't cut it anymore I'll get the MBs bent immediately. I figure the best way for me to test them is being sure they indeed fit my swing. I'll post my fitting results and my progress in this thread for sure.

when was the last time you got "fit"?

For a couple of different reasons I took my Burner 2.0 irons to the indoor dome today, I wanted to go back to these to compare the differences in the quality of my shots vs. the TM TP MBs. The 2.0s feel really good for a GI iron, really really good in fact, but the feel doesn't compare to that of the Tour Preferred MBs, I'm not even comparing apples to apples so I just wanted to point that part out and I'll move on. The thing that really surprised me the most was that while I hitting the ball well today, I still had some shots that just wouldn't have worked out real well- even with the uber forgiving Burner 2.0 irons. Of all the balls I hit there were probably just as many "poor" shots as I hit when I take the MBs to the range. Now I haven't compared side by side to see exactly what the differences are in end result of that miss so there is still a lot of questions left unanswered but that just sort of surprised me a bit. I still don't know exactly what I'd do with a shot requiring a carry of around 190 to 200 yds with these blades, I'm really looking forward to finding that out.

Just wanted to chime in and update everyone. Lots and lots more to come for sure!

When I bought my Mizunos which was toward the end of the 2008 season.

I got fitted a couple of years ago and it didnt work out so well, I went 2* up and it caused me to draw everthing. I didnt like that.

For a couple of different reasons I took my Burner 2.0 irons to the indoor dome today, I wanted to go back to these to compare the differences in the quality of my shots vs. the TM TP MBs. The 2.0s feel really good for a GI iron, really really good in fact, but the feel doesn't compare to that of the Tour Preferred MBs, I'm not even comparing apples to apples so I just wanted to point that part out and I'll move on. The thing that really surprised me the most was that while I hitting the ball well today, I still had some shots that just wouldn't have worked out real well- even with the uber forgiving Burner 2.0 irons. Of all the balls I hit there were probably just as many "poor" shots as I hit when I take the MBs to the range. Now I haven't compared side by side to see exactly what the differences are in end result of that miss so there is still a lot of questions left unanswered but that just sort of surprised me a bit. I still don't know exactly what I'd do with a shot requiring a carry of around 190 to 200 yds with these blades, I'm really looking forward to finding that out.

Just wanted to chime in and update everyone. Lots and lots more to come for sure!

pretty cool you touched on this because I would be wondering the same exact thing! yeah, I could hit a 9,8,7 but after that I think I would not be thinking about hitting the ball and I would be thinking about the result being just decent. keep up the good work buddy

P4B and Jrod,

Thanks alot VT....between the untimely demise of the golf dome here and the weather being atrocious it's taking me much longer to get some better feedback than I expected. the courses here should start opening up next week and i will have a LOAD of info as the day they open I plan on playing 36 holes.

those who have tested the MC's, what was the make up of the set, stiffness, swingweight and what do you like or dislike about them?

those who have tested the MC's, what was the make up of the set, stiffness, swingweight and what do you like or dislike about them?

This is the thread for the MB testing.
You can read the MC testing Here.

P4B- I am really interested to hear your results with the 2.0s and MBs going forward. I can't imagine two irons on more opposite sides of the spectrum when it comes to audience and "forgiveness". Any plans to continue the testing between the two?

i am sooo stoked to try the new MB!!!! i love muscle backs! the thinner the blade the better :joy:

I've got the MBs back in the bag and playing in the simulator today. It's playoff time in the league we're in so I'll be extra focused and I expect the MBs to come ready to perform. I'll come back with my feedback later.

I've got the MBs back in the bag and playing in the simulator today. It's playoff time in the league we're in so I'll be extra focused and I expect the MBs to come ready to perform. I'll come back with my feedback later.

Go get some Jake. Can't wait to hear how those mbs perform under playoff pressure

Sent from my HERO200 using Tapatalk

This is a long shot but has anyone hit the VR blades and the TP MB's? I hit the VR blades really well but still didn't feel them to be that soft. I want to hit these but I don't think I'll ever touch them on matts. It's just not the same.

This is a long shot but has anyone hit the VR blades and the TP MB's? I hit the VR blades really well but still didn't feel them to be that soft. I want to hit these but I don't think I'll ever touch them on matts. It's just not the same.

Jrod has the TW Blades I think?

I think these irons feel amazing. I don't understand why Taylormade stopped making forged irons for the U.S. market and now does again. They should never have stopped in the first place.:beat-up:

Yesterday my dad and I played 18 of simulator golf at Augusta National where I used the TaylorMade Tour Preferred MB irons. I went into it this time consciously paying attention to not trying to squeeze more yardages out of an iron shot than I know I can get. Last time we played there I hit a couple poor shots because I was just simply not being smart and using enough club. Yesterday was the playoffs for our simulator league we’ve been playing in this winter so I was really hoping to hit em well and by not forcing anything and being smart about the iron shots I was hitting I definitely had the best ball striking day that I’ve had yet with these irons.

The 2 par 3s on the front 9 from the white tees both come in around 170 yards, give or take. Each time instead of trying to go big with a 7 iron like last time I took a smooth 6, each time I hit good solid shots and found the green. I know sim golf isn’t the same but I really liked the trajectories I was seeing out of all of my shots yesterday, I really look forward to getting these outside soon. The back 9 par 3s are hole 12 and 16. Everyone knows about them and it was a lot of fun playing them in the sim. Hole 12 was 155 yesterday and I found myself with an 8 iron in hand. I hit a good shot but maybe just not exactly pure and ended up carrying 149…which if you know 12 at Augusta put me in that front bunker. At least it wasn’t Rae’s Creek….so we’re ok. I was real anxious to play 16 as last time from 162 I tried to hammer an 8 iron, caught it horribly and put it in the water. Yesterday I knew better, smooth 7 iron that went 165 leaving me right in the middle of the green.

As I said this was my best ball striking day I’ve had yet with these irons, no stingers and only 1 real bad mis-hit that resulted in water as we were going for the green in 2 on hole 15. Good thing the old man stuffed his 4 iron on the green and gave us a 25 footer for eagle. We won’t find out if we advanced in the playoffs til next week but we netted a -4 on the front 9 (9 hole matches) so I think we did good and we will see what happens. All I know is that I can’t wait for spring to come so I can put the TP MBs up head to head against the Burner 2.0s to see which irons earn the nod to start my 2011 season. Should be fun!

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner Dent I have been extremely busy. My current set of irons is in fact the VR TW blades. My initial impression is night and day. The feel of the TM MB's is absolutely immaculate. The flushed shots feel, or lack there of is simply amazing, and the mishits are not harsh at all. Granted this is information gathered from 3 range sessions off of mats so before I would speak this as fact I will have to get them both on turf. If you have any other questions please feel free to ask. I will respond much sooner next time!

Went out today with Hawk and played 16 holes on temp greens and boxes. Ambient air temp was right at 35* so it was rather brisk. the sun was shining and the wind was dead so it made it a beautiful day. After 5 months of terrible weather I was just ready to be outside.

Ballflight on these irons is absolutely perfect. The scoring irons have a brilliant boring trajectory, penetrating while still high enough to hold a stiff green I would imagine. I was using a Z Star X and backing the ball up on full 8 irons 8-12 inches on fairway greens. The lower irons are incredibly easy to get up in the air and once again, the trajectory is just perfect.

I was really impressed with the turf interaction with these. The sole of the club glides through the grass, especially the thick stuff witrh incredible ease. I just can't get over how well these feel in hand. This is only my 3rd set of clubs within the past 2 years but the difference is astounding.

More to come as the weather gets even better and we get to start playing for real!

Hi thanks for the reviews. I am curious, would you reckon a mid handi cap player could weild these beauties?

005-4.jpg

There is a weird shadow on the face of the 6i (front) that makes it look like a lot were high and off the toe but aside from 1 or 2 that really wasn't the case.

Must be residue smoke from you CRUSHING the ball.

Hi thanks for the reviews. I am curious, would you reckon a mid handi cap player could weild these beauties?

This all depend on your game Mark. Would I recommend it? No. However everyones game is different. As far as blades go these are extremely easy to hit, but you are still punished pretty badly for poor shots.

I'm glad you were able to get them on a course JRod, thanks for the feedback! I am dying to get outside with these, it can't come soon enough! Until then it's indoor driving ranges and simulators but soon this weather will break. Keep the info coming JRod!

Back