Tour Pro-Am / Practice Rounds

Oregon Golfer

#XBomb
Reaction score
Handicap
If The Golf Channel were to air some sort of coverage of practice rounds and Pro-Am rounds would you watch? I certainly would. I understand that a lot more goes into the television coverage than we'll probably ever realize but even if they showed a very limited or "skeleton" type coverage I would have to think they would get better ratings than some of the reruns and paid programming they run during the day now on Tuesday/Wednesday. I think it would be fun seeing the pros acting loose, hitting fun shots, skipping balls across water hazards, etc... Am I crazy? Has anyone here ever participated in a Pro-Am round with a pro?

I would watch it, it would beat the hell out of the endless Haney Project and Pipe Dreams reruns

If The Golf Channel were to air some sort of coverage of practice rounds and Pro-Am rounds would you watch? I certainly would. I understand that a lot more goes into the television coverage than we'll probably ever realize but even if they showed a very limited or "skeleton" type coverage I would have to think they would get better ratings than some of the reruns and paid programming they run during the day now on Tuesday/Wednesday. I think it would be fun seeing the pros acting loose, hitting fun shots, skipping balls across water hazards, etc... Am I crazy? Has anyone here ever participated in a Pro-Am round with a pro?

Nope. I stopped watching Pebble Beach a long time ago. JMO of course

I would watch it, it would beat the hell out of the endless Haney Project and Pipe Dreams reruns

You beat me to it!

I would add the countless infomercials as well.

Practise rounds? Yes. Pro-Am rounds? No.

I honestly cannot stand watching amateurs on TV. It's just not exciting golf.

Golf is golf, I will watch it. I like watching the celebs golf

Practise rounds? Yes. Pro-Am rounds? No.

I honestly cannot stand watching amateurs on TV. It's just not exciting golf.

Yeah I agree, it would be fun to see how the pro's go about preparing for a certain course but if I want to watch a bunch of ams struggle around a course I can just watch them out of my kitchen window.

Can't say I would watch it more than once, but it would be nice to see how typical amatuers would play a round on TV. Actually following tee to green and seeing the true variety of shots would be fun for a short while!

I would watch. Watching amateurs sometimes makes me feel better about my game. And as other have said its way better then reruns. That would be a good day to have some players miked up.

Yeah I agree, it would be fun to see how the pro's go about preparing for a certain course but if I want to watch a bunch of ams struggle around a course I can just watch them out of my kitchen window.

It's exactly why the Bob Hope doesn't get many top players in it. Who wants to trudge around for 5 days with an amateur who is having a terrible time trying to get the ball in the air when they are trying to win a tournament. I feel it would just be a bad vibe and I wouldn't play very good if I was a pro.

Watching a practice round would be very interesting but I think it would get pretty boring quickly.

Pro-ams are horrible to watch. Being at a tournment that has pro-am day is painful and dangerous to watch. I went to The Heritage last year (forgot the day) and I was miserable watching pro-am teams hack up the course. It sounded like .22 rifle war with so many people hitting trees. Standing directly behind them or a tree was your safest bet.

I would so much rather watch practice rounds!!

I've played in several Nationwide pro-ams and have been to practice rounds. Neither would make interesting TV. A practice round maybe, and that is a huge maybe. If players were miked up and you got to hear the interaction, again, maybe it would be okay.

It would be like watching an NBA shoot around or an NFL walk through, interesting to see what happens during those things, but after 5 minutes, with no competition, there is zero interest in watching. We watch sports for the top of the line competition, not practice.

Not the pro-ams,but I would watch the practice rounds.Watching the celebs does't interest me.If I wanted to watch bad golf I'd go to my local course.

I agree with most here, I would love to watch practice rounds....Pro-Ams not so much.

As McEnroe would say: ARE YOU SERIOUS?
Give up seeing Roger Maltby trying to convince me to spend hundreds of dollars on something JB says he would not buy? Not seeing the latest people that switched to the stack and tilt swing? Never getting to see the latest Bobby Jones clubs?

I think you get the idea!

I might tune into practice rounds if they would mic up the players and the commentators would stop talking. Might be interesting to hear what the players have to say. Might show another side to them we don't see during tournaments.
No interest at all in watching the hack celeb's. I see that everyday on the course.

Interesting that about a year after this thread they started showing pro-am rounds. I think there are more eyes on this site than we realize.

Back