TaylorMade R11 Driver & Fairway Wood Review Thread

Thanks. We won't discuss 90% of my drives though that go straight left and hooking OB or straight right OB. I just imagine those go 3 bills as well

Hi Scratch, nice write up. I am using the matrix Ozik HD 6 stiff and I am finding the same results as you. I used to snap my tee shots to the left with my TP supertri but in 6 rounds with the R11, I have not snapped hooked any Tee shots. I am getting the same distance as you with the longest stretching out to 306 with temps in the low 50's. When I first got my R11, I was fitted with settings to lowest loft, (8deg) and closed clubface which was weird because I hook the ball. I could not control it at all. I went back to the range and launch monitor and adjusted everything back to neutral and 9 degrees and been hitting fairways ever since. Good luck Scratch and keep us posted. I love to hear people's thoughts.
Ok.. So i had a chance to try the Motore shaft from the R9 in the R11..didnt like it at all. It just didnt feel responsive at all. So i went back and tried the blur shaft, with a different set up..had the ASP set to open, 10g weight in the toe and lowered the loft to 9.5. Was amazed at the difference. All of a sudden the blur shaft felt real good, and the snappy misses to the left were gone. Went out and played in a skins game and made 5 birdies, largely setup by massive drives (for me..290+).It felt so good to be able to really release the club and not worry about snapping it left. So needless to say, I wont be experimenting with anymore setups..the stock stiff blur shaft, with this setup feels good for my swing speed (98 to 101 range)..Now just have to really work real hard with the short game.. wedges and putter to take full advatage of the new R11...Cheers

I hit the 10.5 degree R11 yesterday in the simulator. Weather was so bad that trees were blowing over and it was just plain nasty.

Settings:
FCT: Neutral
ASP: Closed
MWT: 10g weight at the heel.

I love the look of the driver, it just sets up nicely and frames the ball well for me.

I love the sound.

I felt the 6.5 PX was lagging a little to me, but thought it performed well.

I did not miss very many shots and loved the accuracy I was getting. I experienced the same thing at the PGA show as well as when I played with it at Magnolia.

Driver is less forgiving than I was expecting, meaning the sweet spot is smaller.

I am picking up my other PX shaft today and playing and practicing over the weekend, so I should have some more results when I get back from Tavistock.

Here is video of the first shot in the simulator.

Here are the launch monitor numbers and if you are tired of me posting these, then don't look. I post just for information alone and so you get a better idea of the results put to a picture and measurable data.
Spoiler
launch_monitor.jpg

Side note: Is there a thread floating around or maybe there is a post on here that explains the FCT. I am a little confused by it and even watching the videos floating around threw me a little.

I hit the 10.5 degree R11 yesterday in the simulator. Weather was so bad that trees were blowing over and it was just plain nasty.

Settings:

I love the look of the driver, it just sets up nicely and frames the ball well for me.

I love the sound.

I did not miss very many shots and loved the accuracy I was getting. I experienced the same thing at the PGA show as well as when I played with it at Magnolia.

Driver is less forgiving than I was expecting, meaning the sweet spot is smaller.

I am picking up my other PX shaft today and playing and practicing over the weekend, so I should have some more results when I get back from Tavistock.

Here are the launch monitor numbers and if you are tired of me posting these, then don't look. I post just for information alone and so you get a better idea of the results put to a picture and measurable data.
Spoiler
launch_monitor.jpg

Side note: Is there a thread floating around or maybe there is a post on here that explains the FCT. I am a little confused by it and even watching the videos floating around threw me a little.

Nice write up Biggsy.

Where do you go to the simulator at and what kind of simulator is it? I need to find one around here, other than a Dicks or GG.

Hi Scratch, nice write up. I am using the matrix Ozik HD 6 stiff and I am finding the same results as you. I used to snap my tee shots to the left with my TP supertri but in 6 rounds with the R11, I have not snapped hooked any Tee shots. I am getting the same distance as you with the longest stretching out to 306 with temps in the low 50's. When I first got my R11, I was fitted with settings to lowest loft, (8deg) and closed clubface which was weird because I hook the ball. I could not control it at all. I went back to the range and launch monitor and adjusted everything back to neutral and 9 degrees and been hitting fairways ever since. Good luck Scratch and keep us posted. I love to hear people's thoughts.

Hi SJF25..Thanks. For me the R11 being a lower spinning headed driver is perfect. While I liked the feel of the supertri, never could quite get the spin rate or trajectory down, no matter what adjustments I tried. But what I most wanted was a driver that somehow I could avoid the lefts, and now seem to have found it. It is a huge relief coming down the stretch in these money games, and on courses with trouble all over the place, to be able to go at the drive and not see snapped left outcomes.
Really nice 70 degrees day today here in Houston, so headed to the range to get ready for the midday skins game!!!

Looking at the numbers biggsy, its nice to see the launch up there a little more. Distance is down by 3-5 yards, but that is never a concern for you. Overall I think that the shaft performed pretty well looking at that and the launch there is nice to see.

Nice write up Biggsy.

Where do you go to the simulator at and what kind of simulator is it? I need to find one around here, other than a Dicks or GG.
Thank you. It's a full Swing Golf Simulator. My buddy built an 1800 SF movie room behind his house.

Looking at the numbers biggsy, its nice to see the launch up there a little more. Distance is down by 3-5 yards, but that is never a concern for you. Overall I think that the shaft performed pretty well looking at that and the launch there is nice to see.
Launch numbers were real good and we were seeing that out at Magnolia as well. I was pleasantly surprised by the shaft. It's better than the PX 7 shaft I was hitting in the Razr Hawk a week ago.

Thank you. It's a full Swing Golf Simulator. My buddy built an 1800 SF movie room behind his house.

That is the sweetest setup I have ever heard of. I need to find a buddy like that. I can't wait to get my driver in tomorrow to get some R11 time.

That is the sweetest setup I have ever heard of. I need to find a buddy like that. I can't wait to get my driver in tomorrow to get some R11 time.
It's disgusting just how awesome it is.

Settings:

I love the sound.

Spoiler
launch_monitor.jpg

Damn Biggsy, you hit that straight as a string in the video!!!

so, a buddy of mine text me earlier this week to see if I wanted to golf, I jokingly said, you just want to hit my irons and R11(which I dont have yet), anyway, we text back and forth and it turns out I couldnt play because I am going out of town. Well, yesterday he texted me asking if him and another guy could borrow my R11 for the round(that I will not be playing in) and I just laughed. First of all, I dont have it yet, second, I just dont know if I could hand it over for them to use for a round. One guy I could because he is pretty much a scratch golfer, but who knows who would be with them and hitting it. I would hate to get a dummy mark on a club I have yet to hit. I obviously told him no because I dont have it, but if I did I dont know what I would have said. prob yes, but only because thats my personality.

Can anyone speak to the relative forgiveness of the R11 versus the R9 460 since those two are a bit more apples to apples spin-wise than the R11/SuperTri comparison? I know that the R11 might be less forgiving due to the smaller head, but am curious to the extent.

I just started hitting an R9 460/Fubuki combo and it seems like a pretty forgiving club, straighter but not quite as long as my Diablo Edge/Miyazaki combo.

I've got a R11/Diamana Kai'li combo coming so I can do the comparison myself, but thought I'd ask while awaiting the big white truck to show itself at my doorstep. I love being able to switch the shafts out so easily, already have a tip coming for my Kusala Blue.

Can anyone speak to the relative forgiveness of the R11 versus the R9 460 since those two are a bit more apples to apples spin-wise than the R11/SuperTri comparison? I know that the R11 might be less forgiving due to the smaller head, but am curious to the extent.

I just started hitting an R9 460/Fubuki combo and it seems like a pretty forgiving club, straighter but not quite as long as my Diablo Edge/Miyazaki combo.

I've got a R11/Diamana Kai'li combo coming so I can do the comparison myself, but thought I'd ask while awaiting the big white truck to show itself at my doorstep. I love being able to switch the shafts out so easily, already have a tip coming for my Kusala Blue.

my dad has the original R9 and I plan on doing a little testing difference between the 2

so, a buddy of mine text me earlier this week to see if I wanted to golf, I jokingly said, you just want to hit my irons and R11(which I dont have yet), anyway, we text back and forth and it turns out I couldnt play because I am going out of town. Well, yesterday he texted me asking if him and another guy could borrow my R11 for the round(that I will not be playing in) and I just laughed. First of all, I dont have it yet, second, I just dont know if I could hand it over for them to use for a round. One guy I could because he is pretty much a scratch golfer, but who knows who would be with them and hitting it. I would hate to get a dummy mark on a club I have yet to hit. I obviously told him no because I dont have it, but if I did I dont know what I would have said. prob yes, but only because thats my personality.

You're a better man than I, One-T...sky marks really distract me to the point I really couldn't let someone borrow my driver/fws without me being there. Don't really like to let anyone else hit them for fear of the pop-up.

You're a better man than I, One-T...sky marks really distract me to the point I really couldn't let someone borrow my driver/fws without me being there. Don't really like to let anyone else hit them for fear of the pop-up.

yeah, I am kind of the same way, I think thats why it would be hard for me to loan it out, if I am not there to see how they treat it then its tough. I have seen people or heard of people borrowing clubs and throwing them or banging them on the ground like they are their clubs.

yeah, I am kind of the same way, I think thats why it would be hard for me to loan it out, if I am not there to see how they treat it then its tough. I have seen people or heard of people borrowing clubs and throwing them or banging them on the ground like they are their clubs.
You have to be able to hit it first yourself.

Settings:

I love the sound.

Spoiler
launch_monitor.jpg

Dang biggsy!! Dang!! I've seen your stats before, but am always impressed!

You going with a stiffer PX shaft?

Biggsy, I know you have a fwy wood shaft waiting. Is your 3wood on the way?

Can you go into detail a bit about the feel, sound, forgiveness when you get a sec? I'm really curious to hear some more of your thoughts. Do you like the white?

edit: i guess in a nutshell: do you think that with some fine tuning it could be perfect for you?

You have to be able to hit it first yourself.

I agree, Id never loan a virgin driver to anyone. You need to nail it first yourself before sharing.

I agree, Id never loan a virgin driver to anyone. You need to nail it first yourself before sharing.

Make sure you get your balls lined up in the right direction before you pound it. Polara balls can get it done for ya:thumb: Straight down the middle with the new TM.

lol rep added

Hoping to take a few swings with this on the range on Sunday homey!

Whoa, I want a theatre room now! Although i'd hate to leave ball marks on the projection screen.

Awesome stuff, it's looking like this driver's true colours are starting to show!

Sloppy second??

Nice set-up biggsy. It seems that you enjoyed the R11.

Whoa, I want a theatre room now! Although i'd hate to leave ball marks on the projection screen.

Awesome stuff, it's looking like this driver's true colours are starting to show!
The screen for the simulator is set back, you'll notice about halfway through the video above my head there is a white unit that houses the roll down screen for the 3d movie projector. The screen for the simulator has about 1 1/2" wide bands running vertically and horizontally where the ball goes through the screen and then goes to either side and is then rolled back to your feet. Sometimes the ball catches a band and comes right back at you, but with very little velocity.

Back