Cleveland Golf CG16 "Play it Forward" Promotion

Weird! Did you not get to sign up your specs at all? They didn't ask if you wanted a ladies version?

Other versions weren't offered. Ladies flex was not an option :sad:

FedEx left a package for me today?I hadn't ordered anything...Just received an email that I'd won a TaylorMade Burner 2.0 6 iron..
The box said Cleveland Strixon on it..Received the CG16 7 iron,regular flex(signed up for stiff flex)...Never got the email saying I'd be chosen..
Going to try it out this weekend weather permitting...

I got mine earlier today to and went out and hit about 15-20 balls. I wasn't very consistent with it at all. However I really like the feel of it. Going to put the 2.0 7 iron and the CG16 7 iron head to head tomorrow/today (idk which to say since it's 12am here)

I received a regular flex, don't remember seeing anything about choosing flexes but I don't mind. It's more the user than the club anyways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Still haven't seen mine. :-/

I received the CG16 7 Iron today and the Burner 2.0 6 iron earlier in the week. I really like the satin finish on the Cleveland, from my perspective the Callaway Razr's and Titleist AP1's would look good, and hold up well, with this finish. Anyhow, I'll put it in play on the range today and the course on Sunday. As for the Burner I previously hit it and did not have good results. This version came with a R flex graphite shaft and the results were night and day to my previous experience. I've used it on the course for 2 rounds and it's been money, a piercing trajectory, tight dispersion time and time again. It definitely has me thinking about a set with old man R flex graphite!

I left my 6i at home today and opted to play the CG16 7i in it's place. Maybe an unorthodox way of trying it out but the results were nice. Teed off on a 169 yard par 3 with it and my buddy asked me what I was doing playing a 7i from that distance as he knows that my 7i is usually 160 with a good strike ,plus there was a slight breeze in my face. Caught the ball pretty nicely and the ball landed about a yard short and about 12 or so feet left of the pin. Nice result for a first ever swing of this club. Second time was out of the rough about 140 a little uphill. The ball came out a bit hotter than I expected and flew to the back side of the green. The good news is the ball stopped on a dime and was puttable.

The feel of this iron is an improvement over the CG7 in my opinion. Not like my Mizunos but of course they are different types of clubs and made differently. The face almost feels springy as opposed to soft or harsh. The ball flight mirrors that feel. Accuracy is good with this club. The range session went fairly well. The only problem I really seem to have with this iron is the weight; or maybe it's the swingweight. I'm not quite sure what it is. All I can tell is that it feels too head heavy for myself. This could be a good thing for people who really like to feel the clubhead throughout their swing. I like my clubs to feel balanced throughout.

My verdict so far. The club delivers on it's promise of distance and accuracy. I don't know what these would be considered, GI or SGI? Probably GI, but they are still even easier to hit than I expected. I would like to say that Cleveland really brought it with this set but I can't make that call after hitting only one iron. I need to hit this whole set.

I got one on Friday.... should paid little more attention to see they were all right-handed. :D It will be passed off to a friend.

Got mine....yup, regular flex unfortunately. :(

Gave it a try today and I have to say, first impressions, I'm pretty pleased with it. I can't really say much about the distance because the wind is whipping like mad today...I mean my normal 9 iron is 145 and I hit one that went past the 190 marker so it was changing with each shot...hence I can't really say if it was longer as one shot was 170 and the next was way over 200.

One thing I did notice was how solid each shot felt...which is both good and bad since I had a few shots that felt pretty good that totally weren't although they were passable. So, to me, feedback on the clubs is more in the SGI category which it probably is as it's much bigger than my R9 irons.

Overall, I feel like this *could* be a set that I would use given how confident I felt swinging it, but it's really hard to tell with that shaft. The whole thing felt super light to me and I had trouble telling where the clubface was in my swing. I will have to give it some more time and I'm DEFINITELY adding this set to the list to try during a demo day, but it's really hard to say with this fit. I guess cost is the major factor, but I'm still surprised they sent everyone a regular. Actually, it's not indicative of anything, but it seems like everyone I know either plays a stiff steel shaft or a regular graphite one....I don't actually know anyone who plays regular steel.

I got an email over a month ago that I would be getting a Cleveland CG16 7I in the mail to try out and have not received it yet. I am very disapointed. I am considering buying new irons and wanted to test it out.

I got an email over a month ago that I would be getting a Cleveland CG16 7I in the mail to try out and have not received it yet. I am very disapointed. I am considering buying new irons and wanted to test it out.

Check back a few posts ago... They sent out an email to everyone by mistake on feb. 20th, it was only suppose to go out to those who were getting them first. I was number #700 and something and just got mine in Friday. Just be patient. If you got an email you will get the club. It's broke down by states and the number order on who gets them first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Got mine Friday. When I got home and saw the Cleveland package I was so fired up, my wife ask me if I got a promotion - I said "no", something even better...

Anyway, got a chance to hit it (off grass :D) Saturday - had already hit it well off mats at the recent Cleveland Demo Day, so couldn't wait to test the turf interaction (my major beef with the Burner 1.0s is the bounce as I have a pretty steep swing).

I am fortunate as we have a TM testing facility at our club, so I grabbed a Burner 2.0 and a CB demo to battle the CG16. (Note: based on what was available, the CG16 was the PIO 7 iron regular flex, 2.0 was stiff stock 7 iron, CB was s300 8 iron)

I warmed up with my Burner 1.0s, then went to the other three - after hitting 3 balls each, I quickly put away the 1.0s and my only thought of them was how much trade in I will get.

To cut to the chase, I had planned on about 30-45 minutes of range time (to get back to the tube for the UCLA-Florida game), but ended up spending over an hour there and was late for tip-off (probably why my Bruins lost). Given my 1.0 experience, I did not expect the significant improvement in the 2.0 despite comments on the 2.0 thread and was very surprised how well I hit it and how much better the turf interaction is (also, as mentioned already on this thread, the topline "looks" a little thinner to me because TM was clever enough to paint it two colors). I was also really surprised at how well I hit the CBs - I was absolutely killing that 8 iron, probably only 10 yards shorter than the CG16 and 2.0, but should have been 20 given the 6* loft difference (caveat: our range is uphill, wind was a bit gusty and they are range balls, after all).

After firing shots until my back hurt, all three were so good, I just couldn't make a decision. I actually went to the range ready to buy the CG16s and I as I rotated the three clubs at least 6 times kept hoping the TMs would fail me, but they didn't. I don't think I am going to consider the CBs as I have some other TP irons I got fitted at The Kingdom for and will keep for awhile.

I definitely need another focused session with the CG16s versus the 2.0s (ideally with the same shaft flex, which means though I usually hit stiff I need to get a reg 2.0 to ensure apples to apples with the CG16). If I had to pull the trigger now, I'd probably get the CG16s primarily because I think they have a slightly better feel, as JB has noted a few times, but for now, I am trying to keep the wallet closed to get to a firm decision.

nice write up keller!

I received a CG16 7iron as well, and honestly, if I would've known that they were RH only, I wouldn't have even entered. I don't know why there's the option to tell them whether or not you're right or left handed on the application form if they intend to send RH sample only. Oh well, I'll pass it along to the father in law, and then he can pass it along as well. It looks nice, feels nice, and I wish I could hit one at some point.

Yeah turning it upside down didn't work too well either.... :D

Yeah turning it upside down didn't work too well either.... :D

I wouldn't think so. I just passed it on dude. The question is: why even have an option for lefties? Kind of strange.

Got mine in the mail this weekend. Has anyone noticed how upright the lie angle is? I checked it against my burner2.0 7 iron and it seems like it is at least 3* upright. When i grip it and set up the toe is way off the ground. Maybe its just mine? I never realized how big the sole and cavity is on these clubs. Not quite burner superlaunch but pretty big. Cant wait to try it out on the range/course

I did not measure mine, but it didn't "look" that far off when I was hitting it - and I definitely was not hooking the ball as I might if it was that far upright (I play flat to 1*) - hopefully it's just a visual thing - enjoy, these are awesome irons!

Finally got mine delivered on Friday. Opened up the box, and turns out they sent me a regular shaft. I will take it to the range, but am expecting the shaft to be too light/whippy for me. Will post results and how it compares against my R9's, and then hand over to my friend.

nothing like a week of travel to come home to a cleveland package at the door. Looking forward to trying this one out soon!

finally got a chance to get out with my CG16 7 iron on sunday and I was just as pleased with it as I was in September at the outing. Man, these clubs are just awesome. I could definately tell it is a stronger lofted club. My first swing with it was in the fairway on a par 5. This specific par 5 is a 3 shot par 5 because there is a tree and a pond right in front of the green so it takes a perfect shot to get home in 2. I laid up with my 7 iron and it went right where I was hoping, just a little bit further actually. It felt incredibly smooth and left me wanting more. So, the next hole, which is a shorter par 4 I decided to tee off with it, and again ended up right in the middle of the fairway and was less than 100 out. I also ted off with my CB 7 iron and was 125 out. to me, that is a major difference in distance. I began to wonder if I pured the 7 iron CB, I hope I didnt because I couldnt deal with that much distance loss. This CG16 sure did get my wheels turning.

finally got a chance to get out with my CG16 7 iron on sunday and I was just as pleased with it as I was in September at the outing. Man, these clubs are just awesome. I could definately tell it is a stronger lofted club. My first swing with it was in the fairway on a par 5. This specific par 5 is a 3 shot par 5 because there is a tree and a pond right in front of the green so it takes a perfect shot to get home in 2. I laid up with my 7 iron and it went right where I was hoping, just a little bit further actually. It felt incredibly smooth and left me wanting more. So, the next hole, which is a shorter par 4 I decided to tee off with it, and again ended up right in the middle of the fairway and was less than 100 out. I also ted off with my CB 7 iron and was 125 out. to me, that is a major difference in distance. I began to wonder if I pured the 7 iron CB, I hope I didnt because I couldnt deal with that much distance loss. This CG16 sure did get my wheels turning.

Good stuff one-T! That's exactly why I have a whole set of these puppies on order :thumb:

Good stuff one-T! That's exactly why I have a whole set of these puppies on order :thumb:

Uncle Daddy hit it and loved it....again. He fell in love at the outing. Cant wait til you get them buddy!

I continue to have dreams about the CG16's every now and then.....Absolutely love them and I've played with them every time I've been down to THP HQ....the strong lofts, good feel, nice feedback, sleek looks, these habve a lot going for them. One of the few sets out there that I'd put into my bag and play tomorrow without further testing

So........out with the Snakes and in with the Puppies! :snicker:

We've received ours and I definitely DO NOT like it!! The BF likes it, he's got 2 now :)

I just signed up. Thanks so much for posting this. If I don't get picked, you can still guarantee that i'm going to go test out these CG16s at the PGA Superstore!!!

Back