Drivers vs. Fairway woods vs. hybrids. Which has come farther in the last 5 years?

jefffann

Banned
Reaction score
Handicap
I really don't have any insight into this. I know that I couldn't hit a fairway wood consistantly until I picked up some newer offerings.

I know there's an alternative to fairway woods ,it's also an alternative for longer irons so let's not leave hybrids out of the discussion either.

With all the technology that's gone into newer offerings in both fairway woods and hybrids and of course drivers which do you think has made significant gains in performance say since 2005.
Do you think they've all been improving or that some have stagnated.

Has something in one of those categories of clubs become clearly superior to what was before it?
I don't really know.I'm pretty happy I can hit what I have now.But that wasn't always the case with fairway woods.
What's your opinion.
Is there something that's come out in the last 6 years that's greatly helped you improve your game and is there something that came out this year that blows that away.

Last edited:
Id have to say hybrids. IMO, no club has changed the game more since '05 than hybrids have.

I think theyre all relative. They have all come a long way, and all wont stop this year. Although I do see a plateau in equipment technology coming soon.

According to Hoeflich it's the hybrid, and I value his opinion.

Id have to say hybrids. IMO, no club has changed the game more since '05 than hybrids have.

I agree, I'd have to say hybrids

I'd say hybrids too. There were some good hybrids about 5 years ago, but now it really has become a go-to club, with lots of good options out there.

Hybrids.

Club that has changed the game the most in the last 5 years: hybrids

Club with the greatest technological advancement in the last 5 years: I would have to say drivers. I think when you start looking at all of the moveable weight technology, the different adjustability, how you can change the loft and lie, forged composite materials. Not to mention different aerodynamics and lighter clubheads.

Perhaps shafts have had the biggest improvement

I asked the ping pro from the fitting truck last fall and he said hands down in the last three seasons the hybrids have advanced more than any club.

I'm thinking drivers.

Hybrids but adjustibility in drivers is a game changer imo

Out of the three its hybrids by far.

Drivers for me. Getting higher end shafts is becoming slightly easier and that is what it is all about in a driver. Hybrids second and faiway woods last in this list. Some of the best FWs like the R9 and TEEs are a couple years old. Same with hybrids IMO.

I quoted this before I realized that the majority so far have said hybrids!

I agree, for the most people. SGI irons have done more for me though (not one of the choices though!)

hybrids get my vote

Back