A new Max? :) One possibly happy golfer here depending on what it looks like at address. I grew to like the look of the 400 Max other than the sound -but one could hot melt - I did not. Still gaming it. Three years is the longest period I've owned the same driver since about 1996. The only difference is the TPT Red shaft.

If the PING racks are bare (they aren't near us), that is another reason not to delay release.
The 4 week lead time on custom clubs, is pretty common in golf right now due to sales skyrocketing, but theirs are actually down off course, year over year for last months Data Tech.
Was in my local grass roots store this weekend and The only thing left in the G400 line we’re a couple sets of irons and a few crossovers. Woods and Hybrids were sold out. As for the G410 line they had a handful of drivers, FW and hybrids left. About 6-7 weeks ago the racks were pretty full. It’s the lowest inventory for Ping that I’ve ever seen in there.

If that was calculated by Ping to manage inventory I’d say that’s a good thing. If they simply are out of stock then I’d say they are missing out on sales. At $249 the G400 driver is a great value.

If the PING racks are bare (they aren't near us), that is another reason not to delay release.
The 4 week lead time on custom clubs, is pretty common in golf right now due to sales skyrocketing, but theirs are actually down off course, year over year for last months Data Tech.
That is absolutely true and also leads to what I believe is a staffing and production capacity issue they are dealing with. I've heard of people making online orders for Callaway stuff on here and getting it in a week. I can only assume it probably got shipped from Mexico like some things I've ordered from Callaway in the past and they don't have any supply chain issues for certain components.

I bought what I thought was a used demo shaft on eBay for my G400 Max a couple of months ago that ended up being ordered direct from Ping. It took a little over 4 weeks. I have on order right now a LH G410 with the Even Flow shaft. That is just not something anyone carries on the shelf around here but it is something I would struggle to call a "custom" order since it is just a stock option. I guess it isn't sitting in a warehouse anywhere and somebody needs to build it. I still don't know when it will be shipped after ordering it a week ago.

i'm with you here on both accounts. usga pics have often led us to say "this club looks like garbage" then when released it looks much better. i can't think of many times the usga pic has looked better than the final released product, so if this looks good now it will probably only look better when released.

I know the 400 max wasn't the best sounding driver I've ever gamed, but the numbers tell me it's the best performing driver I've ever gamed. i'm very interested to test the 425 max when it comes out.
When the Max has some melt thrown in, it sounded just fine, and I thought the 410 felt/ sounded great. Definitely looking forward to more info on this.

When the Max has some melt thrown in, it sounded just fine, and I thought the 410 felt/ sounded great. Definitely looking forward to more info on this.

The regular 400, which I gamed for several months before the Max made its debut, had excellent sound/feel. Not Mavrik feel but a more precise sound than Max.

The regular 400, which I gamed for several months before the Max made its debut, had excellent sound/feel. Not Mavrik feel but a more precise sound than Max.

I did love the 400 sound.

That is absolutely true and also leads to what I believe is a staffing and production capacity issue they are dealing with. I've heard of people making online orders for Callaway stuff on here and getting it in a week. I can only assume it probably got shipped from Mexico like some things I've ordered from Callaway in the past and they don't have any supply chain issues for certain components.

I bought what I thought was a used demo shaft on eBay for my G400 Max a couple of months ago that ended up being ordered direct from Ping. It took a little over 4 weeks. I have on order right now a LH G410 with the Even Flow shaft. That is just not something anyone carries on the shelf around here but it is something I would struggle to call a "custom" order since it is just a stock option. I guess it isn't sitting in a warehouse anywhere and somebody needs to build it. I still don't know when it will be shipped after ordering it a week ago.

Callaway, TaylorMade, Cobra, Titleist and Ben Hogan are all running up to 2 months on custom. Not every item of course.
Very similar to Ping.

It is not only about staffing, but about components.
Companies are selling more now than they have in a long time and two of the largest retailers have had back to back record months. Custom ordering makes up a percentage of overall sales, so delaying an entire lineup for 5-6 months based solely on that would not make a lot of sense, when as was mentioned, stores are bare in some areas.

Turbulators ?

One would have to say, "yes."

You are either :D:D or :eek:

I played the G400 driver for about a year and liked the shots but did not care for the loud-tinny impact sound. Also, looking at turbulators I thought was a bit annoying, so I sold the club. When I saw the G410 had turbulators I did not even consider trying or buying one.
My favorite Ping driver was the original Rapture. It had a good looking head shape and a very pleasing muted impact sound.I would like to see Ping go back to producing composite top drivers, because that material brings a muted impact sound instead of loud-tinny.

My only guess on the timing would be that they are trying to get product into markets where there is golf in our winter. I realize there are large chunks of the US that play year round without an issue. I would hope that they have some sort of demand analytics that justified the distribution plan. If the clubs are going to be available in say September/October it wouldn't make sense to put inventory into the northern half of the US/Canada and short a region that would have more demand. I am not sure why you wouldn't give some inventory to a national online distributor or direct in those regions though.

I played the G400 driver for about a year and liked the shots but did not care for the loud-tinny impact sound. Also, looking at turbulators I thought was a bit annoying, so I sold the club. When I saw the G410 had turbulators I did not even consider trying or buying one.
My favorite Ping driver was the original Rapture. It had a good looking head shape and a very pleasing muted impact sound.I would like to see Ping go back to producing composite top drivers, because that material brings a muted impact sound instead of loud-tinny.

I played the Rapture V2. Ping, being engineers, possibly thought the weight savngs were not worth the loss in structural stiffness. I assume Callaway went to Jailbreak to gain more stiffness to offset the composite top. Just a thought - may be a bad thought... I did not sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night, not an expert on anything.

My only guess on the timing would be that they are trying to get product into markets where there is golf in our winter. I realize there are large chunks of the US that play year round without an issue. I would hope that they have some sort of demand analytics that justified the distribution plan. If the clubs are going to be available in say September/October it wouldn't make sense to put inventory into the northern half of the US/Canada and short a region that would have more demand. I am not sure why you wouldn't give some inventory to a national online distributor or direct in those regions though.

Genuinely curious, how a January release fixes that though?

I think more people start buying new stuff in January/February for the upcoming season and winter/spring trips. I know I have bought stuff then but I rarely buy new equipment in October and November.

I have to think it is a supply constraint of some sort.

What I wonder is, is the 425 Max actually just the 410 Max they designed and decided at the end to not release.
At first I thought supply chain then I started thinking about the release and how the initial tech story isn’t exactly earth shattering. It wouldn’t surprise me if your guess is accurate.

I like Mizuno releases - Mid-September. Still gives peeps in NE a month or more to play and the peeps in SE, SW and West get to play year round - also helps cash flow. Intro in January and a lot of peeps are not purchasing 'till March when they are thawed out.

I played the Rapture V2. Ping, being engineers, possibly thought the weight savngs were not worth the loss in structural stiffness. I assume Callaway went to Jailbreak to gain more stiffness to offset the composite top. Just a thought - may be a bad thought... I did not sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night, not an expert on anything.

I think the original Rapture was expensive to produce, and my best guess is that is why Ping stopped making composite top drivers.

I think more people start buying new stuff in January/February for the upcoming season and winter/spring trips. I know I have bought stuff then.

I have to think it is a supply constraint of some sort.

My genuine opinion (from speaking to some that supply) is that a decision was made early to delay. Then sales skyrocketed and they have not adapted as well as the other brands in doing so in terms of sharing messaging, etc.

What is interesting is this is the first time Ping has ever done anything like this. Split releases.

The fall has been the time in which they have really shined in sales and in January that driver market gets a bit more crowded. They will be the only brand in North America without a release and that is super interesting for us #GolfNerd people that like to examine and look deeper.

Other weird thing here is the name. I realize that’s just me, but to go from 400 to 410 to 425???? Why the 5?

Odd, not seeing the logic of that (yet)

Other weird thing here is the name. I realize that’s just me, but to go from 400 to 410 to 425???? Why the 5?

420 is probably bad for google searching.

I just don't get this.

I don't think I ever get golf club numbering.

Back