921f are making a strong case for being the must-try release of the fall (so far)

They have appeal! Waiting to hit them I am coming up with crazy combo ideas. PW-8 Tour, 7-6 Forged, 5 HMP, 4 HM. It would be like a big old JPX921 family party every round, a bunch of them bent out of shape (pun intended). 😎👍

I haven't played a combo set in YEARS, so if I were to game these i'd probably like to try a combo set. my thought is hmp 4-7, 921f 8-gw. as great as the tours look, my interpretation of some of the info and reviews out there is the tours are kind of their own thing, whereas the rest of the lineup was designed to be cohesive. the 921f seem small enough and smartly designed to be up to the challenge in the scoring clubs.

I forgot to post this - from my first session comparing the 921F to by previous gamers. :oops: Eight swings each

Long irons:03A1C8BB-DF58-40D0-B4D1-EB01C3D8ED1B.jpeg

short irons:
A4EBD657-0A2D-40A5-916C-86BB215B4317.jpeg

If you aren’t excited about the 921 family, I’m going to assume you are still sleeping.

I haven't played a combo set in YEARS, so if I were to game these i'd probably like to try a combo set. my thought is hmp 4-7, 921f 8-gw. as great as the tours look, my interpretation of some of the info and reviews out there is the tours are kind of their own thing, whereas the rest of the lineup was designed to be cohesive. the 921f seem small enough and smartly designed to be up to the challenge in the scoring clubs.

Smart combo. I look forward to seeing the Forged in person. I like a sleek PW and shorter irons. My MP-18 MMC PW looks too chunky to me. As irons get longer, they can look like monster trucks. The combo options with these new irons sets is a big part of the fun. My fitter will just roll his eyes with my ideas, but I get a kick out of it.

Spent some time with the Hot Metal 7 iron tonight. Hit about 15 balls at the CDA island green set to 160 and just took a nice smooth swing and peppered the green. Love the way these clubs feel and sound and think they are the unsung hero of the group.
I just want to make sure that I am clear. My recollection from an earlier post is that you would be hitting the HMP and thought it would be the unsung hero. This post says Hot Metal. Was this a typo?

I just want to make sure that I am clear. My recollection from an earlier post is that you would be hitting the HMP and thought it would be the unsung hero. This post says Hot Metal. Was this a typo?

Nope, no typo. Testing both the last week has opened my eyes to how good the Hot Metal is.
I have no doubt that the smaller irons in the line will appeal to a lot of people, but I like the forgiveness.

I do think the HMP will be an unsung hero in the line however.

I’m seeing some unbelievably consistent carry distance into greens with the 921F. Plenty of spin in the short irons to hit and stop but a real penetrating flight from the long irons. And the turf interaction with the skinny sole is like a knife through butter. Mizuno really did something here.

I know my stats may not matter a whole lot in the grand scheme but there isn’t much explanation other than these irons are amazing. Arccos said I was +4.0 strokes gained compared to my handicap this past round I’ve shot below my average score for the last 20 rounds every round they have been in the bag. All I changed was the irons.
I love all of this.

Nope, no typo. Testing both the last week has opened my eyes to how good the Hot Metal is.
I have no doubt that the smaller irons in the line will appeal to a lot of people, but I like the forgiveness.

I’ve got half a mind to order a set of HMP and let the winner end 2020. I’ve heard NOTHING but great things.

I’ve got half a mind to order a set of HMP and let the winner end 2020. I’ve heard NOTHING but great things.

Ill admit, I laughed at end 2020.

Ill admit, I laughed at end 2020.
I know myself. I do my best to not make promises I know I could never keep. I need some form of therapy - maybe two forms.

I will probably do what I am doing with the 919 - order some of both sets. I'm still trying to decide my breakpoint in the 919. Right now, it's at 6i because I like the forged 7i and 8i, the 9-PW in 919F are a little too big. But since my miss is on the toe, that's my reasoning for HMP - a bit more forgiveness (I assume).

I will probably order a set of 921 HMP in 5-PW and later decide on which Forged from among 7-PW. This is all brainstorming. Need to see clubs in hand.

Last edited:
I love the 921 tours. Except for one thing. I dont like the standard loft gapping. I know that loft is really not the end all be all. But I feel they are a bit squished.

That was a really fun video to watch, nice presentation @Canadan! I've always admired but never owned Mizunos... I think the chromoly appeal of the 921 Forged and HMP's could definitely lure me in. Hammered 4140... needs to be in my life!

The forged numbers and reviews are really hard for me to ignore, and then I remember I never love their blade length. I might need to put an effort into getting over that this time round though.

The forged numbers and reviews are really hard for me to ignore, and then I remember I never love their blade length. I might need to put an effort into getting over that this time round though.
How do you mean?

They did modify these from 919. A bit more compact.

How do you mean?

They did modify these from 919. A bit more compact.
Right, which is why I might have to try to get over the 'look' of them more this year. They're still a little longer blade in terms of measurement than I prefer, but their shape usually magnifies that even more for me, and I don't think that's really changed. It's just a visual thing. Since the moment I started playing again I've always felt more comfortable over a compact look. I'm excited to get my hands on them and hopefully see some results that will help rewire my brain on that.

I am really excited to compare the HMP against the TR20P, they are the closest to each other loft wise but I think the Forged maybe closer size wise. Maybe @JB could put them side by side if he still has the TR20 P or V in the house.

There will have to be a clear benefit over the Honma's for me to make the change, ha ha I had to laugh at myself after reading what I just typed. If they are just a bit better I would do it just because I need to scratch the itch.

There will have to be a clear benefit over the Honma's for me to make the change, ha ha I had to laugh at myself after reading what I just typed. If they are just a bit better I would do it just because I need to scratch the itch.

yeah i laughed too lol

I am really excited to compare the HMP against the TR20P, they are the closest to each other loft wise but I think the Forged maybe closer size wise. Maybe @JB could put them side by side if he still has the TR20 P or V in the house.

For most THP-types, a bit better means one perfect feeling 7 iron in a launch monitor with one more yard distance.

I'm glad I'm not the only one feeling this way. I was thinking it would be smart to consider the HM and HMP. Other than offset there isn't a huge difference and the lofts and materials are identical. Perfect for blending.

yeah i laughed too lol
Well I did abandon the iron covers a while back so the Honma's are getting nicked up and can't have beat up clubs in the bag. The funny thing is I am perfectly happy with them, still very curious about the 110 Paderson shafts but I could keep playing these and not miss a thing.

But then I see new and shiny and get all odd feeling inside, not to mention I just happen to have just about the right amount of cash in the club fund envelope to do the CC thing and not feel bad about it. Maybe not adding in the puring but straight up got it covered.

Back