JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
What course is relatively close to you (let's say with in 30 minutes) that you have never played, but wanted to?

Hmm I'd go with the Oakland University Scharf Course

Southern Highlands. Private club. Its about 10 minutes from my house.

Howell Park, County public course. I always get a county golf card for the past twenty years, never played that one.

Hershey CC and Lebanon CC. I drive by them all the time and mostly want to play out of curiosity.

Tucson Country Club - Private and I don't have any very wealthy friends apparently (or they don't feel I'm country club material)

1610045047567.png

These 3 are within a 10-minute drive
Shaker Ridge Country Club
Wolferts Roost Country Club
Schuyler Meadows

Glen Arvin Country Club. Private club that is one of three within 30 minutes. I have played the other two countless times.

Wildflower in Temple is about the only one that comes close to that description, but it's a little over 30min away.

Shadow glen and wolf creek. Both pretty exclusive clubs around me

University of Louisville Cardinal Club.

Hoping that changes this season.

Probably Meadowbrook Country Club. I only played 9 holes a few years ago, and since then it was completely redesigned and renovated. So basically a new course that I haven't played yet.

None....There are many I have desires/designs to play. But all are far away. My current bucket list of close courses [within 300 miles] are Yeamans Hall and Cascade at Homestead. I'm working the angles with hopes to execute this summer.

Have played every course within 30 min. That would be five courses, 3 private, 2 public.

Expand the time distance to an hour, and I am massively interested in playing Moonlight Basin. 8000 yards from the tips in a spectacular setting on Lone Mountain. Everyone I know who plays there says bring an extra dozen balls: you will go through them.

The former CEO of Sallie Mae, lives a few miles away from me, and has his own golf course. Trust me when I say, I have never seen anything more pristine.

I drive by it everyday, and it brings a tear to my eye how perfect it is.

Montcalm Golf Club. About 15 minutes away and used to be private. Opened to the public in last few years but haven't made it up there. It is a touch high-priced for me, but I've heard it's gorgeous and will definitely try to make it there this year.

Last edited:
I've played every course within 30 minutes from my house. With the exception of Trump National in Sterling. But I did play it back when it was called Lowes Island when it first opened before he bought it, so I'm not sure what design changes have been done since. :unsure:

Saratoga National Golf Club. Doubt I will play there because even the lowest off [peak rates are too rich for me. Peak rates are $220 during the height of track season, and apparently they get it.

That is an easy one...TPC Sawgrass.

There are only 4 courses within 30 minutes of me (and two of them are at one club), I've played all of them. If we expand the radius out to within one hour, there are 14 courses and I've played all but two - one is a skeezy little par 65, and the other is a goat pasture which suffered from years of neglect and is only starting to recover. No private clubs anywhere within that one hour radius, I think I'd have to expand it to a 2-hour radius to find a truly private club. Only one muni (county owned), and it's actually one of the best conditioned and most fun courses in the whole area.

St. Louis Country Club. I've had a number casual offers to play but never took anyone up on it.

Glenmoor Country Club

Wildflower in Temple is about the only one that comes close to that description, but it's a little over 30min away.
I think that is Club corp. We could meet up there sometime.

Back