Justin Thomas thread

There is NOTHING to make people okay with it. Had he come out and donated the entire check, the backlash would be "yeah he can afford it".
Actually if he donated his check it might come off worse as he is trying to buy his apology.

What is so harsh? So he has been on tour 10 years-you think this was the first time he uttered an offending word. Just the first time he was caught.
If he utters a word to himself, and he's not offended by it, and no one else hears it, how in the hell is that a problem?

So i guess the First Amendment is no longer needed here in the United States of America?

So, I guess that means theres no First Amendment here in the United States of America?

I don't think anyone is saying the 1st amendment is being infringed here. I think we all agree we are free to say what we want, but we also need to be cognizant that there are consequences for our offensive language.

My opinion is that whether you call it sensitivity training or being self aware, JT needs to do better understanding his surroundings and the language he chooses to use. I am by far the least offended person and will not throw a stone from my glass house, but that doesn't mean I cant see the negative connotation and issues with his choice of words.

Hopefully he learned his lesson and this doesn't pop up again.

So i guess the First Amendment is no longer needed here in the United States of America?

So, I guess that means theres no First Amendment here in the United States of America?

This isn't a First Amendment issue at all.

A significant failure in self-awareness and judgement by JT, to which he apologized immediately and (in my opinion) genuinely. In situations like this, I've always believed only the person knows for sure how deep the issue goes. I have no doubt JT has the capacity to learn and do better, and it starts now.

The double standard here is telling someone you CAN'T use this word and take it out of your vocabulary but songs are using that word and much much much worse and those songs are celebrated. So don't use the words we don't like but its ok if others use them in their songs.....cool i got it now.

I don't think JT needs to go on an apology tour like Drew brees did.

A significant failure in self-awareness and judgement by JT, to which he apologized immediately and (in my opinion) genuinely. In situations like this, I've always believed only the person knows for sure how deep the issue goes. I have no doubt JT has the capacity to learn and do better, and it starts now.
Do you not think his choice to say it so quietly was being self aware? That the dude five feet away from him had no chance of hearing it?

Can you explain what the 'issue' would be here?

The double standard here is telling someone you CAN'T use this word and take it out of your vocabulary but songs are using that word and much much much worse and those songs are celebrated. So don't use the words we don't like but its ok if others use them in their songs.....cool i got it now.

I don't think JT needs to go on an apology tour like Drew brees did.

When I listen to public radio, they censor a lot of words.

The thing is, JT signaled to us that this is part of his persona a year ago. So this week he says he needs to be better, but why is it still an issue? He grew up in the media age, not the 80s or 90s. He was 18 when Kobe got fined 6 figures for saying the same word a decade ago. This isn't some new cultural issue in the last or year. This has been a thing for JT's entire adulthood at a minimum. So it seems very hand wavy to just say he slipped up here.

I don't think it's about oh he said a word to himself without intent. The fact that's it's part of the vocabulary at this point in life is more troublesome.

Late to the thread. I was disappointed in the word he used. His apology appeared to be pretty genuine and I think he will learn a lot from the experience, and hopefully never use the word again.

On a different point, I really think the mics picking up every word these guys utter is a problem. No reason to have it in my opinion. I'm sure a lot of us have muttered some pretty bad words (although hopefully different than the one he used) when we were mad at work.

If he utters a word to himself, and he's not offended by it, and no one else hears it, how in the hell is that a problem?
The problem is that he is a public figure in a public setting so he should be a little bit more aware of what he says-particularly in his "work" environment. If he was John Doe and said that out loud in corporate America-there would be repercussions.

If he is alone in his house tonight watching Alabama football, he can say what ever he wants.

Do you not think his choice to say it so quietly was being self aware? That the dude five feet away from him had no chance of hearing it?

Just because you utter a word to yourself doesn't take away from the fact that the word is offensive. I don't believe a slur has to be heard to make it offensive. The word is offensive on it's own.

Again I am not telling anyone what to say, what to listen to, what words to hold in their daily conversations or immediately pull out the pitch forks when someone in the limelight utters them. My point is there has to be some self awareness of those words and the offensiveness they hold when heard by others. That is not being woke or a social just warrior, that to me is just being a kind, considerate human being.

Not that it matters what I think, but JT clearly reacted out of anger and momentarily forgot he's in 2021 where microphones are everywhere. I'd say that's pretty unaware of your surroundings. As others have said, the use of the word he chose is unacceptable.

Imagine the PGA Tour did something this smart :ROFLMAO:

Wouldn't be hard with tape delay. I believe some other sports have started to do it?

The problem is that he is a public figure in a public setting so he should be a little bit more aware of what he says-particularly in his "work" environment. If he was John Doe and said that out loud in corporate America-there would be repercussions.

If he is alone in his house tonight watching Alabama football, he can say what ever he wants.
If John Doe said it in Corporate America as loud as JT said it, no one would have heard him.

They may as well mic up the guys, so they at least have a constant reminder that EVERYTHING they say will be picked up. I would imagine with very few people around them, and being away from others, it's pretty easy to forget that there are other elements in play.

And again, I think he'd do well to dump it from his vocab, but that's not up for me to decide.

Wow, so the whole “sensitivity training” thing is a thing for some here, eh?

That is mind blowing to me. This cancel culture thing is getting out of hand. He messed up, he knows he messed up, and he owned it like a man, yet here some are still wanting more? I’m sure everyone here has never made a mistake they regret, eh?

Many people incorrectly assume that free speech rights mean that someone should be able to say whatever they want and not experience any opposition, consequences or backlash.

Congress or the government in general can't prohibit free speech. The government can't punish people for their speech. But private businesses and the general public can.

What JT said isn't a 1st Amendment free speech issue. The PGA Tour and his sponsors are not the government. They can, if they choose to do so, take actions against him for what he said.

Wouldn't be hard with tape delay. I believe some other sports have started to do it?
They don't even need tape delay. They just need to start forcing the audio after shots or as players walk to the cup. It adds next to nothing.

If there's a shot that is worth replaying for audio, they can do it.

If John Doe said it in Corporate America as loud as JT said it, no one would have heard him.

They may as well mic up the guys, so they at least have a constant reminder that EVERYTHING they say will be picked up. I would imagine with very few people around them, and being away from others, it's pretty easy to forget that there are other elements in play.

And again, I think he'd do well to dump it from his vocab, but that's not up for me to decide.
Gotta be perfect if you’re on TV Dan. ;)

He's been on Tour for nearly a decade. Isn't this perspective a bit harsh considering this is the first time it has been captured (in damn near inaudible fashion)?

Problem may not be that it was heard (or in this case picked up on microphone); problem may be that it was uttered in the first place where it could be heard.

In todays social media culture it it not good enough if you repent and apologize for a misdeed or word you must be dragged thru the streets ala Game Of Thrones and have your walk of shame!

They don't even need tape delay. They just need to start forcing the audio after shots or as players walk to the cup. It adds next to nothing.

If there's a shot that is worth replaying for audio, they can do it.

True. Though even if they wanted to keep it, delay it 20-30 seconds. No way anyone at home knows any better anyways.

Not that it matters what I think, but JT clearly reacted out of anger and momentarily forgot he's in 2021 where microphones are everywhere. I'd say that's pretty unaware of your surroundings. As others have said, the use of the word he chose is unacceptable.
It's one thing to forget that mics are everywhere. It's another to not realize they pick up the sound of an eyelash falling.

if he was at his home course similarly mad, I'm pretty comfortable assuming the slur used would be louder - so to suggest he wasn't aware of his surroundings doesn't hold a ton of water to me. I think he very much was aware.

...and I don't see why it wouldn't matter what you think. It's been a fun debate in here.

So just because JT whispered it and didn't scream it its ok? JT is one of the faces of the PGA Tour franchise. He knows there are mics and cameras everywhere.

Back