Justin Thomas thread

So just because JT whispered it and didn't scream it its ok? JT is one of the faces of the PGA Tour franchise. He knows there are mics and cameras everywhere.

Whoa, I dont think @Canadan has said in this thread at all that it's okay?

It's one thing to forget that mics are everywhere. It's another to not realize they pick up the sound of an eyelash falling.

if he was at his home course similarly mad, I'm pretty comfortable assuming the slur used would be louder - so to suggest he wasn't aware of his surroundings doesn't hold a ton of water to me. I think he very much was aware.

...and I don't see why it wouldn't matter what you think. It's been a fun debate in here.
If he WAS aware of his surroundings and situation in that moment, that's worse.

So just because JT whispered it and didn't scream it its ok? JT is one of the faces of the PGA Tour franchise. He knows there are mics and cameras everywhere.

I'll ask though, what is the end result for you? Removed or suspended from tour?

Problem may not be that it was heard (or in this case picked up on microphone); problem may be that it was uttered in the first place where it could be heard.
where it could be heard... just not by people around him :ROFLMAO:

Whoa, I dont think @Canadan has said in this thread at all that it's okay?
Definitely did not - Definitely do NOT support the use of the term and definitely do NOT use them myself.

....assuming that wasn't already abundantly clear.

I'll ask though, what is the end result for you? Removed or suspended from tour?
Neither-no punishment at all. The powers that be tell him to be careful and move on. Question is what happen if he gets caught a second or third time.

True. Though even if they wanted to keep it, delay it 20-30 seconds. No way anyone at home knows any better anyways.

It's not like they don't show any taped action and present it as live in the first place. :LOL:

Neither-no punishment at all. The powers that be tell him to be careful and move on. Question is what happen if he gets caught a second or third time.

Not sure genuinely. Lebron has had this happen on multiple occasions. So has DJax for the Eagles. Both are still gainfully employed and I think its safe to say after the second time, that they haven't had their feelings immediately changed to not use the anti-semitic terms.

I think its a threshold for individuals what they can tolerate and what they can't. In team sports, its based on geography of team, that it is okay to root for as long as the helmet or jersey wins. In individual, you are on an island so not sure what the end game is here, but I appreciated on the surface what appeared to be a pretty genuine apology.

If he WAS aware of his surroundings and situation in that moment, that's worse.
Aware of his surroundings = aware of where the people are around him (maybe he went for a mumble instead of a proclamation).

Aware that a mic is shoved directly up his *** as a condition? Well, I guess I'll give you that.

Not sure genuinely. Lebron has had this happen on multiple occasions. So has DJax for the Eagles. Both are still gainfully employed and I think its safe to say after the second time, that they haven't had their feelings immediately changed to not use the anti-semitic terms.

I think its a threshold for individuals what they can tolerate and what they can't. In team sports, its based on geography of team, that it is okay to root for as long as the helmet or jersey wins. In individual, you are on an island so not sure what the end game is here, but I appreciated on the surface what appeared to be a pretty genuine apology.
Could you imagine how many in the NBA, NFL, NHL, and MLB would be in social media jail if they were mic'ed to the level that JT was? :ROFLMAO:

Could you imagine how many in the NBA, NFL, NHL, and MLB would be in social media jail if they were mic'ed to the level that JT was? :ROFLMAO:
I do not envy the NFL Films editors! 😳

And that's on two parties. JT to pick better words, and the Tour to use a bit of common sense with the audio levels.
Genuinely curious here. Does the TOUR have full control of the production? I would think it falls to the network paying for the production rights.

And that's on two parties. JT to pick better words, and the Tour to use a bit of common sense with the audio levels.
And this is the simple root of it all to me.

Genuinely curious here. Does the TOUR have full control of the production? I would think it falls to the network paying for the production rights.
I would think the Tour could easily set the conditions of presentation.

....and you make a great point.. now we have TWO entities beyond JT that should be doing better to protect both the players and the viewers.

With every other league, player audio has to be cleared by (some specific entity inside) the league to make it on a broadcast. Not sure what the PGA has done, but either way they are completely incompetent around the audio topic. Every other league does it just fine.

EDIT: Regarding the Sam Darnold "I'm seeing ghosts" comment, that's why it was such a big deal. That clip was approved by whatever group manages it for the NFL. I believe it's a smaller piece of the NFL Films group.

I’m interested to see if this incident impacts JT’s demeanor on the course moving forward. He’s prone to little hissy fits, cursing, and he loves to pout. I wonder if he will be more even-keeled moving forward.

Agree.

There is also the issue of if you are a top 5, 10, 20 player versus a journeyman where there is less likely to be cameras and mics.

Expletives are fine in golf. Slurs are not. JT will learn. The broadcasters will learn. I doubt JT has a hateful heart, if that is the case, he will take a moment and try to better himself.

The world will spin on.

I would think the Tour could easily set the conditions of presentation.

....and you make a great point.. now we have TWO entities beyond JT that should be doing better to protect both the players and the viewers.
Well, don't forget the event's title sponsor, who is mentioned every time the story is mentioned.

A lot at play here. JT's use of the slur doesn't make any sense in the context of missing a putt.

The network and TOUR aren't fully in control of the presentation, putting one of the faces of the TOUR in a terrible position, albeit in one he shouldn't have put himself.

I believe his apology was sincere, and definitely don't want to see him "cancelled." I want the slur to be cancelled. It has no place in society in any sort of negative context.

I’m interested to see if this incident impacts JT’s demeanor on the course moving forward. He’s prone to little hissy fits, cursing, and he loves to pout. I wonder if he will be more even-keeled moving forward.
JT needs to have a kid or two. Before my daughter, I would swear like a sailor. Over the past (almost) 10 years, my MFers have become "mother fridgelicker!" I have been know to drop a "puking potlicker" when upset.

where it could be heard... just not by people around him :ROFLMAO:

I think there is a further issue for JT - why he used the word in the first place.

I can see him being more measured in his response. But there still is a huge difference between cursing and using the word he used.

Back