Justin Thomas thread

Right? People only think they want to hear things uncut. They don’t.
No kidding. Having been on the sideline for a few SEC games and courtside for a couple of Mavs and Stars games, the language is rough. As a devotee of the F word and those words and variations that end in "er," I learned quite a bit of new usage. 🤣

I guess I missed where the government was restricting someone's speech here.
Excellent point, and that is not the case here yet, but when I hear cancelling words, that scares me. I won't go down the path as it opens a Pandora's Box, but it often ends up at the govt level. I'll just leave it there.

I think there is a further issue for JT - why he used the word in the first place.

I can see him being more measured in his response. But there still is a huge difference between cursing and using the word he used.
Oh I agree. I’m just interested to see if he will work to keep his temper in check. I feel like it’s part of his competitive fire and he certainly doesn’t want to lose that killer instinct.

Expletives are fine in golf. Slurs are not. JT will learn. The broadcasters will learn. I doubt JT has a hateful heart, if that is the case, he will take a moment and try to better himself.

The world will spin on.

A lot at play here. JT's use of the slur doesn't make any sense in the context of missing a putt.

The network and TOUR aren't fully in control of the presentation, putting one of the faces of the TOUR in a terrible position, albeit in one he shouldn't have put himself.

I believe his apology was sincere, and definitely don't want to see him "cancelled." I want the slur to be cancelled. It has no place in society in any sort of negative context.

I am in agreement. Even though I too believe his apology was sincere, I think the issue going forward is a personal one for JT - namely why did he use that word.

The double standard here is telling someone you CAN'T use this word and take it out of your vocabulary but songs are using that word and much much much worse and those songs are celebrated. So don't use the words we don't like but its ok if others use them in their songs.....cool i got it now.

I don't think JT needs to go on an apology tour like Drew brees did.
If you want to see the double standard hard at work, listen to virtually any rap song. There's a word that gets used repeatedly in many of those songs that has very strong negative connotations and will invoke an immediate hostile response if used anywhere else, but they get a free pass and make millions of dollars and earn Grammys with it.

If NFL players were mic'd up and uncensored, I'll 100% guarantee you that you'd hear that word used multiple times every game. And not whispered under their breath, either.

Wow, so the whole “sensitivity training” thing is a thing for some here, eh?

That is mind blowing to me. This cancel culture thing is getting out of hand. He messed up, he knows he messed up, and he owned it like a man, yet here some are still wanting more? I’m sure everyone here has never made a mistake they regret, eh?

I’m not sure anyone in here wants to “cancel” JT. Sensitivity training is an opportunity to learn about himself and why that word has been harmful to so many people—an opportunity for perspective. He might not need it, but it’s not an awful idea either.

I fully admit I’ve used that word in the past. I grew up during the era of describing something you didn’t like as “that’s gay.” But that was 20 years ago, and as I grew up, I gained awareness. We evolve as a society. Doesn’t mean we are perfect (I’m sure not), but we raise the bar as to what we find is acceptable. And in 2021, saying an anti-gay slur to insult yourself for missing a putt just isn’t.

I fully appreciate how JT handled it afterwards. I think he’s being very genuine. He can’t undo it; he can only learn from it and grow. He may have learned all he needs to already, maybe not, but I don’t think anyone who suggested the training has any desire to cancel JT.

No kidding. Having been on the sideline for a few SEC games and courtside for a couple of Mavs and Stars games, the language is rough. As a devotee of the F word and those words and variations that end in "er," I learned quite a bit of new usage. 🤣
Hahaha, for real.

I’m not sure anyone in here wants to “cancel” JT. Sensitivity training is an opportunity to learn about himself and why that word has been harmful to so many people—an opportunity for perspective. He might not need it, but it’s not an awful idea either.

I fully admit I’ve used that word in the past. I grew up during the era of describing something you didn’t like as “that’s gay.” But that was 20 years ago, and as I grew up, I gained awareness. We evolve as a society. Doesn’t mean we are perfect (I’m sure not), but we raise the bar as to what we find is acceptable. And in 2021, saying an anti-gay slur to insult yourself for missing a putt just isn’t.

I fully appreciate how JT handled it afterwards. I think he’s being very genuine. He can’t undo it; he can only learn from it and grow. He may have learned all he needs to already, maybe not, but I don’t think anyone who suggested the training has any desire to cancel JT.
And think for a minute about the context when you said that. Did it mean you thought that object/person was attracted to the same sex, and were you insulting/slurring it on those grounds? Or had the meaning of that phrase, which was (and still is) commonly used, morphed into something else much less insidious? Was your intent evil and discriminatory, or was it more humorous? Did it reveal a bias you didn't know you had, or was that bias really not there in the first place and it was just a phrase you used with no such intent?

The world is full of woke thin skinned snowflakes. He said it, he apologized for it. I seriously doubt anyone was truly traumatized by it. If so, they need to suck it up and move on. Sensitivity training? Interesting how he could have said another F word and the woke people of the waiting to be offended group would have already moved on. I’d like to plant a mic on some of them to record their every word. I’m sure we would learn many are fake hypocrites.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Interesting thing I've learned lately is that the people who like to throw terms like "snowflake" around are usually the biggest p*ssies in the room.

Guys, we must remember the THP Way, which is a helpful and open dialogue that shares multiple view points.

If this turns into name calling or political nonsense, we will close the thread and politely tell the offenders to find another place to hang out.

Good conversation can be done without heading down that path.

I don't think the PGA should concern itself with audio levels. The players are all aware that mics are there. I think Justin is a good guy. However it is time to learn better words to use when he's hot. And as far as their being independent contractors.I am one too but i would never go to an account and say things that could be inappropriate to their ears.

I am in agreement. Even though I too believe his apology was sincere, I think the issue going forward is a personal one for JT - namely why did he use that word.
i do not believe him to be sincere in his apology at all. i believe he apologized because he has/had to and needs to sell it. it was an odd slur to use

And think for a minute about the context when you said that. Did it mean you thought that object/person was attracted to the same sex, and were you insulting/slurring it on those grounds? Or had the meaning of that phrase, which was (and still is) commonly used, morphed into something else much less insidious? Was your intent evil and discriminatory, or was it more humorous? Did it reveal a bias you didn't know you had, or was that bias really not there in the first place and it was just a phrase you used with no such intent?

I did not have bad intent then, no. But I was a teenager, and I did not understand how those words could have been harmful. I graduated HS in 2004. I know several people from my class who did not come out until college or later, because they were still ostracized.

JT and others who still use those slurs may mean no harm. But it’s a lot less about what one intends than how it’s received. (Same applies in other contexts). In no way do I think JT is a bad person. He made a mistake. But for his own sake, I think it’s worth him exploring why he did.

i do not believe him to be sincere in his apology at all. i believe he apologized because he has/had to and needs to sell it. it was an odd slur to use

We may disagree as to the sincerity of his apology, but the issue, at least to me, remains why did he say this in the first place. And only JT has that answer.

JT needs to have a kid or two. Before my daughter, I would swear like a sailor. Over the past (almost) 10 years, my MFers have become "mother fridgelicker!" I have been know to drop a "puking potlicker" when upset.

Ha. Having kids didn’t help me at all unfortunately. My 6 year old does do a good job though of telling me off when I swear, and I have to apologies like I’m the 6 year old LOL.

He did almost immediately following finding out about it. He used his words and showed remorse. Did you even watch his interview?!

I think the bigger question is what does he have against Harley riders, anyway?

Not the first time he has said and won't be the last. I can only imagine the stuff he says when he and Tiger are trashing talking around Medalist. That being said he did seem remorseful in his apology-question is will he change? Because if he didn't get caught with the hot mic there would be no reason for him to stop.

When did he say it except yesterday?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Social media is, without a doubt, the worst thing that ever happened on the internet.

absolute truth. And I’m under 30 which is quite the unpopular opinion to have for my generation.

So, i have/had a gay cousin and him and his friends would use that word to describe eachother constantly. We would always laugh listening to them. But it was ok for him/them to use it, in their mean spirited way, but for JT to use it on himself is ridiculous.

People ard becoming way too sensitive.

The thing is, JT signaled to us that this is part of his persona a year ago. So this week he says he needs to be better, but why is it still an issue? He grew up in the media age, not the 80s or 90s. He was 18 when Kobe got fined 6 figures for saying the same word a decade ago. This isn't some new cultural issue in the last or year. This has been a thing for JT's entire adulthood at a minimum. So it seems very hand wavy to just say he slipped up here.

I don't think it's about oh he said a word to himself without intent. The fact that's it's part of the vocabulary at this point in life is more troublesome.

I disagree with this. I completely agree with the idea that as a professional athlete, there are things you know you have to eliminate from your vocabulary completely. Not even just athletes but for us as people.

but in regards to age I’m a very similar age to JT and grew up in the midwest just like he did. That word was the go to phrase to try and hurt someone by people throughout my entire high school career. People will say any word they can to draw a reaction out of you especially high school bullies, but this goes for many interactions in life. I have special needs family members and I remember in middle school actively trying to remove the R word from my vocab but it was very hard. If that’s a phrase that was instilled as “okay” for him his entire time growing up, that may be explanation as to why that’s at the top of his list for insults to himself. Doesn’t make it right, but just because that word is still in his vocab when he’s muttering to himself under his breath doesn’t mean that is the person he is. Not everything is absolute.

So, i have/had a gay cousin and him and his friends would use that word to describe eachother constantly. We would always laugh listening to them. But it was ok for him/them to use it, in their mean spirited way, but for JT to use it on himself is ridiculous.

People ard becoming way too sensitive.

context.
Just because you utter a word to yourself doesn't take away from the fact that the word is offensive. I don't believe a slur has to be heard to make it offensive. The word is offensive on it's own.

Again I am not telling anyone what to say, what to listen to, what words to hold in their daily conversations or immediately pull out the pitch forks when someone in the limelight utters them. My point is there has to be some self awareness of those words and the offensiveness they hold when heard by others. That is not being woke or a social just warrior, that to me is just being a kind, considerate human being.

I think the line of expecting kindness and compassion from others, and social justice lynching is when you are calling for that persons life to be harmed. Not saying you said this, but the public outcry on social media and some people on this thread even is that he should lose sponsorships. Like @JB mentioned earlier, when is justice served? When has he learned his lesson? I think to say your are disappointed in him or that the word shouldn’t be uttered is fine. But when social media is the executioner then nothing will ever be enough.

context.

I think the line of expecting kindness and compassion from others, and social justice lynching is when you are calling for that persons life to be harmed. Not saying you said this, but the public outcry on social media and some people on this thread even is that he should lose sponsorships. Like @JB mentioned earlier, when is justice served? When has he learned his lesson? I think to say your are disappointed in him or that the word shouldn’t be uttered is fine. But when social media is the executioner then nothing will ever be enough.

I am not sure why you are quoting me. I never said he should be harmed or lose sponsorships. My point was asking the person to have some inward thought and more self aware is far from being woke or a social justice warrior.

This is a very sensitive topic to many people with differing opinions. I have always leaned on the side if I say something that others find offensive, then I shouldn't say it and I should learn why it is offensive to others. I am one that doesn't usually curse much unless angry, but I can say that I have stated incorrect things before and absolutely should be mindful of the words I say.

I am not one that agrees totally with the idea of immediately apologizing for the smallest of things, but this is a bit larger and a word that can be very offensive to some. This type of word shouldn't be used and I am sure JT realizes it. He did apologize and I hope he learns and grows from his mistake.

Back