Three Minute Thursday: Simple Grip Replacement

Thanks for the vid.

I have the Mitchell Vise, and will install it to my bench, and use a bucket to catch the solvent. If one doesn't use enough solvent and has issues saving the grip, a tiny bit of air used very judiciously, helps (going slowly with the air because if you don't, that grip will blow up like a balloon).

Last edited:
It was interesting seeing a different technique as well. Everyone obviously does things different and there isn't a wrong way. I was taught to hold my thumb over the top of the grip and use the hole at the bottom to let all the solvent come out.

That is how I do it as well. I enjoyed seeing another take.

Awesome video James. I have been doing my own forever. Don't have the fancy grip station setup, but still a quick and easy process. The only additional thing I do not shown in the video is put a tee in the hole in the grip butt cap instead of covereing it with my finger. I leave it in there while sliding the grip on as it seems to help it slide on easier. Pull it out once the grip is on. Just have to be careful not to get sprayed with solvent when pulling the tee out.
I use a tee at home, just didn’t have one handy when we shot. Though I don’t leave it in as it seems to create some added pressure when installing for me. (y)

Many different methods and tweaks for sure.

Great video, thinking about putting a grip station in my garage. Quick question, can the excess solvent be used again? And if so, does a grip station generally make it easy to pour the excess back into the solvent container?
Yup, that’s the beauty of a station, the solvent can be re-used. There’s a tube that will run into another bottle.

Thanks for the video, Jman. Love the grip station. I'm forced to use my bench vise with a small table set up with a pan to catch the solvent. Still manage to get it on my garage floor. As has been previously said, (1) sometimes getting the old tape off is a chore, and (2) regripping can be very therapeutic. A friend taught me how to regrip and advised me to buy a hook blade for my knife to use in removing old grips.
Hook knife is a life saver at home for me, but the station in the THP Lab has a grip ripper and it’s amazing.

For stubborn tape, a quick torch job works well!

Another tip to speed things up: Rather than take the time to remove the plastic grip wrapping near the end/caps by tediously peeling the perforated section, you can just grab the grip slightly above the plastic and hit the grip cap against a table/hard surface. The force will pop the perforations on the plastic allowing it to fall/slide off.

Also, it's slower than a torch, but if you only have an electric heat gun, it will work to help get the grip tape off faster. I haven't tried it, but a hair/blow dryer would probably work as well if that's all you have.

If not, does a simple tip like this help you get the basics down and want to give it a try?
Absolutely it does! Great video. That grip station looks like a dream to use!

I 10000% agree on more solvent.

I’m just wondering why you didn’t put your thing over the hole in the butt of the grip to avoid blowback as well as use the building pressure to help get the grip on? Or is that not really necessary? I’ve just always done it that way.

I 10000% agree on more solvent.

I’m just wondering why you didn’t put your thing over the hole in the butt of the grip to avoid blowback as well as use the building pressure to help get the grip on? Or is that not really necessary? I’ve just always done it that way.
Not really necessary. Also as I mentioned in the video, lots of different techniques, I was showing mine. (y)

Not really necessary. Also as I mentioned in the video, lots of different techniques, I was showing mine. (y)

Knew there were a few ways to skin a cat, I’m kinda stuck in the “Do it as you were taught” method.

Kinda like people who spiral their tape. First off, why. Second, how? Third, isn’t that 50% as strong as a full taping?

Awesome 3 min Thursday!!! I’ve been doing my own grips for awhile now! Just so easy to do. A station like that would be awesome!!!

Is there a particular solvent you like to use???
I have some for you to assist with :ROFLMAO:

Hook knife is a life saver at home for me, but the station in the THP Lab has a grip ripper and it’s amazing.

For stubborn tape, a quick torch job works well!

what's a grip ripper? 🤷🏼‍♂️

I too use a tee in the butt end but pull it out before sliding the grip on.

The thing about re-gripping your clubs is that while your 4 iron grip will last you the season, your driver and 7 iron might wear much faster. Never buy a set of 13 grips; always buy 15 or 16 so that you'll have matching grips when your frequently used clubs wear out. Re-gripping a whole set is a lot of work but one at a time as needed just takes a few minutes.

Another trick I do is to hold the shaft below the grip with a paper towel to absorb the gooey mess as it drips down the shaft while you're sliding the grip on. Then, I'm careful to not let any solvent and glue wipe up onto the grip itself.

The grip rip looks nice but the real drag is getting the old tape off. Especially on a graphite shaft.

The grip rip looks nice but the real drag is getting the old tape off. Especially on a graphite shaft.
Heat is your friend.

One thing I can say, if you do use lots of solvent, and you should, don't stand in line with the shaft while pushing the grip on. Wearing an apron or not, you can get soaked with the solvent that squirts out the hole in the grip.

One thing I can say, if you do use lots of solvent, and you should, don't stand in line with the shaft while pushing the grip on. Wearing an apron or not, you can get soaked with the solvent that squirts out the hole in the grip.
Hahaha, can confirm. I’ve ruined a couple shirts.

I've been doing my grips and friends grips for quite a while. I use a bench vise with a ruber shaft gripper and a paint roller pan to catch the excess solvent.
Someday I would like to get a grip station. Thanks for the video !

Back